Stars v Devils - 19 Jan 20 - League

RedDevil17

Thought the owners promised us more physicality a few weeks ago? Haven’t seen that much...

We need to win our games in hand otherwise it’s gonna be very difficult catching up to a Steelers team who are scoring goals for fun and who’s goalie is on fire! We’re the opposite. We can barely score and our goaltending has been poor for the past few weeks. It’s clear Bowns needs help, bet he’s knackered and it’s not fair on the lad and we need an import to not only give him competition but someone who’ll actually get game time and give Bowns a break.

All well and good saying the performance was sickening in your interview but what’s the point in saying that if nothing is being done about it?! Massive overhaul needed next season for me...some players have had poor seasons and some just aren’t good enough in general. Very poor weekend

Mazzoak

Glad I’m stuck in an airport and missed that, although no surprises. Our recruitment this year showed a lack of confidence, a few weeks into the season players repeated the downward shift in performance we’ve seen regularly, lines messed around, players obviously not comfortable and a coach who is either really struggling or is arrogant. I’d pick a little of both. We refuse to replace players, we refuse to move players up or down lines. We’ve little game strategy.

Apart from that we have games in hand and others could falter. It’s not all lost if we coach a way through.

kingmo19.1

The current management ethos to never release a poor performing player .....

In the old days, we recruited 2 imports that weren't quite up-to scratch (Messers Gratton & Andison). Lawless replaced them both early in the season and we won the lot from that point!

Didn't seem to do the club's reputation any damage whatsoever.

Just saying, just incase the powers that be are reading this thread.

Steelers have done it this season, result = upturn in form.
Panthers have done it this season, result = upturn in form.
Dundee have done it this season, result = upturn in form.
Blaze have done it this season, result = upturn in form.
Giants have done it this season, result = difficult to say.

One would say the reputation of the aforementioned clubs has not been damaged and I'm sure they'll all have no problem attracting talent next season and thereafter. The thought of not being in a job in a few weeks time certainly keeps people on their toes !!!

jimmy snels

i said it in October. i honestly think we wont win the league with top line players scoring so little and defenceman who just aren't very good at defending. myers our 4th line centre has scored as many as linglet bentivolio and mcmonagle put together. mcmonagle and fournier are weak defensively but with fournier actually scoring regularly he kinda negates his negatives to an extent. I've contemplated for a while and i wonder if batch might be a better choice at the back end and put one of those on the wing and be done with it if we wont make roster changes. get defenceman defending.
I find it incredible we are still carrying reddick on a wing with our lack of scoring. no one tries harder, i get that. its no slight on him as a pro or as an individual. But do we need a 7th dman in the team when batch already can do exactly that? I dont think we do in any way.
I also cant work out why we continue with linglet on the dixon haddad line. those are 2 of our most consistent, hardest working players being forced to play with a lazy, out of form guy. even in the sheffield loss where he actually finally scored, he was as lazy as I've seen in that uniform and his back check is half arsed at best. he's playing like jeff pierce but without the end result of goals to mitigate the lack of hard skating.
Benti continues to take dull ass penalties that have litrally everyone looking at each other. Its a year to far and to play with Riley and McNamee I feel he is very fortunate. He's going the way of morrisette where he started to lose form and natural scoring ability. To me I'd move him onto the 4th line with duggan and myers and ask him to work hard and dont get scored on. pope should be on one of those top lines just on form.
bownsy imho isnt as good as some of the other net minders at the moment and i do wonder if next year we might see an import net minder and an extra British out skater. Lordo said he thought another net minder (Nottinghams) was the best in the league. that's gotta hurt if your hearing it and your letting them soft ones in

hip check

Something just didn't feel right from the start of the season for me.In an interview Lordo said the we missed out on a number of players(probably often the case) but whatever the reasons I always thought that he didn't have the team he wanted.
Judging on what the general concensus is on this m/b players that come here are very well looked after, we rarely gas players and give players plenty of time to find their feet/form.
Steelers, Giants, Panthers,Blaze etc don't always afford their signings such benefits, so to possibly lose out on players to other clubs in the EIHL would seem to point to higher wages.
These players that we missed out on could well have chosen to stay put or move to another league in another country. Whatever the reason we can only assume they were attracted to play elsewhere for reasons other than 'being well looked after and given plenty of time to settle'. So does not gassing players carry any benefits after our up and down season?.

hip check

i said it in October. i honestly think we wont win the league with top line players scoring so little and defenceman who just aren't very good at defending. myers our 4th line centre has scored as many as linglet bentivolio and mcmonagle put together. mcmonagle and fournier are weak defensively but with fournier actually scoring regularly he kinda negates his negatives to an extent. I've contemplated for a while and i wonder if batch might be a better choice at the back end and put one of those on the wing and be done with it if we wont make roster changes. get defenceman defending.
I find it incredible we are still carrying reddick on a wing with our lack of scoring. no one tries harder, i get that. its no slight on him as a pro or as an individual. But do we need a 7th dman in the team when batch already can do exactly that? I dont think we do in any way.
I also cant work out why we continue with linglet on the dixon haddad line. those are 2 of our most consistent, hardest working players being forced to play with a lazy, out of form guy. even in the sheffield loss where he actually finally scored, he was as lazy as I've seen in that uniform and his back check is half arsed at best. he's playing like jeff pierce but without the end result of goals to mitigate the lack of hard skating.
Benti continues to take dull ass penalties that have litrally everyone looking at each other. Its a year to far and to play with Riley and McNamee I feel he is very fortunate. He's going the way of morrisette where he started to lose form and natural scoring ability. To me I'd move him onto the 4th line with duggan and myers and ask him to work hard and dont get scored on. pope should be on one of those top lines just on form.
bownsy imho isnt as good as some of the other net minders at the moment and i do wonder if next year we might see an import net minder and an extra British out skater. Lordo said he thought another net minder (Nottinghams) was the best in the league. that's gotta hurt if your hearing it and your letting them soft ones in
You talk a lot of sense.

Kevin roog

Funny thing is. Everyone can hopefully see that we need speed up front and at the back. But we are all guilty as soon as summer comes.”we need fighters and more fighters” and big slow stay at home defencemen,and possibly Liam reddox who we will be linked with for the 35 th summer

The_Puck

Funny thing is. Everyone can hopefully see that we need speed up front and at the back. But we are all guilty as soon as summer comes.”we need fighters and more fighters” and big slow stay at home defencemen,and possibly Liam reddox who we will be linked with for the 35 th summer
Exactly, big and slow players won’t win championships anymore. Sheffield don’t have any fighters or any really physical players but look at how they play (speed and skill). I’d love us to keep a few of our physical guys (Riley, Dixon) and then sign a load of really fast guys who can get past their player and can find the net.

osh

Sorry Kevin, we are not ‘all guilty’ as you say of requesting fighters and more fighters, and I certainly don’t remember anyone calling for a big slow stay at home defenceman to be signed either. I’m obviously viewing your post as a tongue in cheek post.
what I do remember from way back at the start of the season ( once we’d seen the team in action for a month and a half or slightly more ) was that we needed more physicality for sure. Physicality doesn’t mean fighters though does it. Very often it means having players that will stand up when necessary when we are on the receiving end of over the top rough play from the opposition. And as for your slow D man quote, I do remember many - myself included - saying we needed to have a solid D man, more stay at home than any we had prior to signing Morrison, but slow? Never !
Unfortunately, Lord didn’t really address issues that were staring him in the face and whilst I have a lot of respect for him, I am convinced he got the recruiting very wrong this year and I have to say he remains far too loyal to underperforming players. I can’t comment on recent performances or individual players performances due to the fact I haven’t attended a game since last November due to the way we were performing and tbh I’m not missing what I wasn’t enjoying.

Well, that weekend hurt. Just watched Lord's reaction to last night's 'performance'. He's not happy. Think (hope) we'll see a different reaction on Wednesday.

This team is capable of so much more than it's achieving at the moment. We've seen that in the CHL and in places throughout the league campaign. Hope Lordo can fix whatever the problem is because if this team can get back to the way it played in the CHL, they can still do this. It'll take effort from everybody, confidence in their abilities while staving off complacency and a reliance on each other to work goals.

It was not good enough this weekend but we (all of us) go again and we (fans) need to get behind them as best we can. In the meantime, Lordo will do what he has to in the short amount of time we have ahead of the semi final game this week.

Wannabe2

The Steelers game wasn’t a problem to me, we gave it our all but fell short on the night, but at least we watched a first class hockey match, however Sunday was a complete joke, I paid £15 to watch a team that was so divided from the team the night before. We really were total crap, no disrespect to the Stars who gave it their all, but we were so dismal it was like they couldn’t be arsed, we don’t have any passion or pride to hit, you can go through a slump talent wise, but you can still be arsed and do what you can, when we lost Faryna the heart and soul of our club was also lost. We have a few but it’s only a few that turn up every week, but you won’t win anything with a few. Consistency is what will win the league this year, but there is only 2 with that, one big time in the Steelers, and one lately in the Panthers, as for us and the Giants we at the moment are bit players, and that’s a great shame, as I have said in the past you can’t give anyone a bigger heart than what they have.

terry hunt

The Steelers game wasn’t a problem to me, we gave it our all but fell short on the night, but at least we watched a first class hockey match, however Sunday was a complete joke, I paid £15 to watch a team that was so divided from the team the night before. We really were total crap, no disrespect to the Stars who gave it their all, but we were so dismal it was like they couldn’t be arsed, we don’t have any passion or pride to hit, you can go through a slump talent wise, but you can still be arsed and do what you can, when we lost Faryna the heart and soul of our club was also lost. We have a few but it’s only a few that turn up every week, but you won’t win anything with a few. Consistency is what will win the league this year, but there is only 2 with that, one big time in the Steelers, and one lately in the Panthers, as for us and the Giants we at the moment are bit players, and that’s a great shame, as I have said in the past you can’t give anyone a bigger heart than what they have.
I am getting a bit worried about you mate.

terry hunt

Perhaps Lordo might consider phoning Craig Woodcroft at Dinamo Minsk and see if they have a player who would like to be a Devil in exchange for Charlie Linglet.
Minsk are bottom of the division and need a skilled motivated player to help them move up.

Mazzoak

I hope Steve Kings got his Viola Black Card ready because one thing in all of this head scratching post game breaking it down solution finding debates that’s damn clear is, turning this around to actually winning silverware and being the top dog is going to take some cash, probably more than has been spent previously. Assuming your interested next season competing with the arena teams for silverware & not just filling bums on seats for as little outlay as possible.
If your gonna talk wins, your gonna need to prepare for the ”others” to piss on your parade.

Last edited:
I hope Steve Kings got his Viola Black Card ready because one thing in all of this head scratching post game breaking it down solution finding debates that’s damn clear is, turning this around to actually winning silverware and being the top dog is going to take some cash, probably more than has been spent previously. Assuming your interested next season competing with the arena teams for silverware & not just filling bums on seats for as little outlay as possible.
If your gonna talk wins, your gonna need to prepare for the ”others” to piss on your parade.
You seem to have a real disliking for the owners/lordo, any particular reason?