Standing Area

The_Puck

Yep you'll never please everyone, you just can't, all I'm saying is they'll have to look into it and if it's going to upset more people than it will benefit by putting it around 3, 4 or 5 then to me that would be a silly decision to make when you've got mostly unused blocks the other end.

I still find it strange if the block isn't filled for this week and beyond, the people who wanted to stand were all for it last week and now it seems they don't want to leave their seats which is confusing to me
I think it’s because some people don’t want to fully commit for the season and some people may not want to move away because of friends and families around them. It was fine for a game but for a full season it might be tricky.

Finny

I’ve just mentioned online they should move the standing section to the other side and more fans would move for sure with the devils shooting down that side twice.
I agree that more fans would move to that end, but that's not going to be possible this season.

I'm asssuming there were only a very small number of season tickets holders in Block 13 and so moving them was 'fairly' simple. But in the blocks down the other end it would seem they are all more than half-filled with season ticket holders. They're not all going to want to stand so where do you move them?

Going forward, the best thing the club could do is ask for season ticket holders to contact them if they are interested in being in a standing block, with details of which block they are currently in. Perhaps it would turn out that one block in particular has a high percentage of people who want to stand in that block so they could look to swap people around. But that would take a lot of logistics and time. And I'm sure there will be objections from some people being sat next to the noisy, standing block.

I was hesitant on the idea of a standing/singing block but it worked brilliantly Saturday and the club should be applauded for getting it that far. But for it to become a permanent fixture and for it to be moved to the 'home' end would take a lot of work and I'm not sure it would be possible until the summer.
That said if the club did want to run my idea of getting details from all season ticket holders interested I would be happy to help them with the logistics.

Kevlar68

The whole problem with the blocks is simple really. Block 3,4,5 is almost full every game with Silver priced seats.
Block 13, 14,15 are bronze priced seats and maybe if lucky half sell, just look at the difference between 3,4,5 and 13,14,15 of Saturdays seating plan for seats available.
Now if you move standing to Block 3,4 or 5 because its standing you could only realistically charge Bronze prices so you've already lost revenue there for seats that are taken nearly every game at silver prices.
That then still will leave Blocks 13,14,15 with a near empty void as people who sit in Block 3,4 or 5 want to be there, they won't move to sit in Block 13, 14 or 15, if they wanted to sit in that end they would have bought bronze seats in the first place.
From a business point of view , which the devils organisation is, that would be terrible business for incoming revenue.
Your can't displace a majority to please a minority.

The whole problem with the blocks is simple really. Block 3,4,5 is almost full every game with Silver priced seats.
Block 13, 14,15 are bronze priced seats and maybe if lucky half sell, just look at the difference between 3,4,5 and 13,14,15 of Saturdays seating plan for seats available.
Now if you move standing to Block 3,4 or 5 because its standing you could only realistically charge Bronze prices so you've already lost revenue there for seats that are taken nearly every game at silver prices.
That then still will leave Blocks 13,14,15 with a near empty void as people who sit in Block 3,4 or 5 want to be there, they won't move to sit in Block 13, 14 or 15, if they wanted to sit in that end they would have bought bronze seats in the first place.
From a business point of view , which the devils organisation is, that would be terrible business for incoming revenue.
Your can't displace a majority to please a minority.
I don't think the fact it's standing will decide what pricing it is, you're paying for the block and it's location in the rink so wouldn't imagine the price would change. Now what we don't know is how many in one of the other blocks would want to stand, i totally appreciate the likes of yourself have your seat and don't want to move but what if there are only 5 of you in that block unhappy to move? (Again I'm not saying there is only 5) The devils will have to look into all of this but most likely in the off season ready for the start of next season.

For the rest of this season I imagine they would continue with block 13 and see how it goes and what amount they can sell, they might want to keep it that way or they might not even like it after a few weeks. I think next summer will be when the more serious decisions of location/pricing/quantity will be decided.

Kevlar68

Just my personal opinion i wouldn't want to move from block 4 and if i did have to i doubt i would get a different seat as i like that view of the game from that block.
As for pricing again my personal opinion i wouldn't pay top price to stand for a whole game which could be up to 2 hours. In my business i stand every single day for the whole duration of my work and that's been for 36 years now so when i go to watch sport i like to sit.

Wannabe2

There is only one logical place to stand, and that’s where very few seats are sold. You would have to be a nut to upset lots of season ticket holders to put standing in the most popular place. It’s about filling the place, not emptying it. Hundreds of people put their money up front to sit where they like, not for someone to pick it for them. People queued a long time to get their seats, they need to be respected, a stsanding section looks good, but only in the right place.

Even if the standing section doesn't go ahead, doesn't mean we can't sing the new songs and get some variety in the chants going. Even if the people who wanted the standing section sing them from their seats then an atmosphere similar to last week could get going, if might even encourage people sitting around them to join in.

My main point is that just because you're not standing, it doesn't mean we can't still sing the songs

Swarley

Even if the standing section doesn't go ahead, doesn't mean we can't sing the new songs and get some variety in the chants going. Even if the people who wanted the standing section sing them from their seats then an atmosphere similar to last week could get going, if might even encourage people sitting around them to join in.

My main point is that just because you're not standing, it doesn't mean we can't still sing the songs
The standing section is going ahead as planned with a 3 game trial.

And trying to create an atmosphere with people dotted about all over the arena doesn't work, look at last season during home games it was one chant that barely got any reaction from the players.

People complain they don't want it in 13 or they don't want to give up their gold spot, that's fine but for the ones who have moved and made this happen I'm grateful to each and every one of them because they are taking a chance on making a usually dead area come alive and spread the atmosphere, instead of sitting back and moaning for the sake of moaning enjoy the fact that people have cared enough to try.

Wannabe2

I really do admire those guys who are giving this their best shot, and good on them for trying to raise the atmosphere that we all loved in the WNIR, hope you guys smash it, to try to replicate the atmosphere at the play off finals, week in week out is a tall order but if anyone can do it, a great bunch of Taffies sure can. And well played our club for doing everything to help.

pjj365

Quite a few in Bl1 were trying to get involved lastt weekend but could not make out the words.

You are spot on - chanting and singing is not dependent on standing

I'm delighted this is going happening again. I thought the atmosphere was amazing last Saturday. I sit in block 10 with my girlfriend and, although I loved watching block 13 at work I'm not sure we will be moving over there. I'm all for it though and I commend the people who have moved there. I would love to move over just not sure the other half does. I will be chanting and singing along with you regardless!!
As for the location, I think block 13 is perfect. The people who have moved there are clearly happy to stand and chant there, and I think it pumps Bownsy up and the whole bench being close to it. Can't see them moving it down the other end, as I'm sure this would upset the season ticket holders down there if they had to move or if they were asked to move. Not sure of the number of season ticket holders in block 13 but it's usually quite empty?

Milky

i would have thought 95% of those in block 13 are season ticket holders. no one has mentioned it but there would be a significant drop in revenue from season ticket holders if 300 plus moved from gold/silver sections to the bronze area.
it also throws up an argument that many of us would love to join the Block 13 crew but simply my view of the end we attack twice is superior. im not sure and im still debating if im ok with this.
This 100%.

I’m in block 19, my son is moving to block 13 permanently (he was there last week). I’m going this week for a bit of fun but will definitely not be moving to block 13.

If it was somewhere else I’d be interested but not at that end.

I think it is totally the wrong place for it.

Wannabe2

This 100%.

I’m in block 19, my son is moving to block 13 permanently (he was there last week). I’m going this week for a bit of fun but will definitely not be moving to block 13.

If it was somewhere else I’d be interested but not at that end.

I think it is totally the wrong place for it.
Why is it the wrong place, and in your opinion what’s the right place.

Milky

Why is it the wrong place, and in your opinion what’s the right place.
A few reasons really;

1) not a great view
2) next to the away section
3) we only attack that end once

For me the best option is Block 10 or directly behind the goals we attack twice (can’t remember what block number that is).

Neither of those two will ever happen though as it would involve moving large numbers of season ticket holders and the Devils wouldn’t want the grief that would come with.

I love the idea of the block 13 concept, I’ll give it a go this weekend and I’m im really looking forward to it. I hope it works long term and we keep it.

If It’s permanently in that block though then I won’t moving there.

Earnie

In my view it is in totally the right place taking into account consideration for other
Devils fans and s.t.h.

You will never please everyone!
If it upsets and stifles travelling fans in Block 12 then surely that is a bonus?

hip check

In my view it is in totally the right place taking into account consideration for other
Devils fans and s.t.h.

You will never please everyone!
If it upsets and stifles travelling fans in Block 12 then surely that is a bonus?
I would like to think it would inspire the travelling supporters to be more vocal, atmosphere up another notch then.

Swarley

If that is the case then it's just fine also. Seemingly Coventry fans were not amused!
Good they shouldn't be amused, we ain't cheering for their entertainment, it's to keep the players spirits high and to keep Bownsy feeling confident.

The fact it pisses them off and they sit and look miserable is an absolute bonus!