Standing Area

Wannabe2

Pathetic... Let it go and stay on topic.
Devil may care said exactly, , why hasn’t he let it go and stayed on topic, what’s the difference mate. And why are my views pathetic. I am not against a standing area,just giving my views, what’s the problem with that.

Mooney#16

The obvious place for it to go is behind the home goal in 13-14-15 but having the most vocal part of the arena behind your home goal could be an own goal. It could hinder defensive communication, netminder concentration and have a pretty detrimental impact on the penalty kill so it’s not necessarily a common sense location. Putting it at the other end would as said compromise too high a proportion of high value seating at the end attacked twice. I agree it would be great for atmosphere but as far as obvious implementation goes its actually a pretty big head scratcher.

In all honesty the person who should have the final say is Bownsy as he’ll be best equipped to say whether it effects his game in a good or bad way.

Swarley

Would be good if it is behind Bownsy (non-attacking end x 2) as that will then enable some good banter with the away fans.
Exactly what I'd love to have in block 13, the away fans need to feel the buzz from the home team, back and fourth banter and cheering and it would be amazing

august04

It’s a nice idea, although not for me personally. My aching bones need to be sat down in a cold rink in the middle of winter! I think taking 3 blocks out though is way too many. Just try it with one block initially, behind Bowns’ goal. You’ll get chants bouncing back and forth between the nearby away section too, which can only be good for the atmosphere. I don’t buy that there’s any safety risk being close to away fans, this isn’t football! Give it a go, see how it fares - if popular and they need more standing room, it could be expanded to 2 blocks. I really don’t see it being more than that though. Nothing to lose as that area is often sparsely populated unless its a big game.

Last edited:

tim78

I'd say block 5 (but like to stay sited [most of the time]), to be honest putting something after is going to cause probs.

Think Todd would have to review which area has the least season tickets and possible only the top half of that block.

Devilsatw

Don’t put it behind Bowns goals it will course dissruption between him and the rest of the defence.
Put the loud buggers from block 9 and the drummers over in block 20 or block 10.

ASHIPP

A great idea having a loud block.... a feature in many NHL and European stadiums. A standing terrace over here would have to pass the rigours of UK stadium/arena fire, health and safety legislation first... so not as simple to install as some may think.

Whilst many people are behind the idea and If it is passed, the Club must take a consensus from season ticket holders in the area they want to create the terrace. Not everybody will be happy about having to give up their seat just to please others.

Different people offer support and appreciate the sport in different ways (not trying to be a killjoy but personally I just go to enjoy the hockey myself) I get that many people love the singing and chanting and want to contribute to the atmosphere. The creation of a terrace needs to be handled in a careful and balanced way. A ready made seated controlled 'loud' block would remove the health and safety hurdles... but there would still be the question of location and existing supporters with St's in that zone.

kingmo19.1

A great idea having a loud block.... a feature in many NHL and European stadiums. A standing terrace over here would have to pass the rigours of UK stadium/arena fire, health and safety legislation first... so not as simple to install as some may think.

Whilst many people are behind the idea and If it is passed, the Club must take a consensus from season ticket holders in the area they want to create the terrace. Not everybody will be happy about having to give up their seat just to please others.

Different people offer support and appreciate the sport in different ways (not trying to be a killjoy but personally I just go to enjoy the hockey myself) I get that many people love the singing and chanting and want to contribute to the atmosphere. The creation of a terrace needs to be handled in a careful and balanced way. A ready made seated controlled 'loud' block would remove the health and safety hurdles... but there would still be the question of location and existing supporters with St's in that zone.
It’s all do-able if the club want to do it!
Maybe TK will offer to upgrade for any ST’s that could be inconvenienced. Short term financial hit that could be outweighed by long term gain.

rocketbob

I recommend a 'Sing for Your Seat' program. If you are behind the away goal and can prove that you can sing above 90db (the volume that a dogs squeeze toy makes) then you can keep your seat. If not, it will be turned into terracing...........

In case of any doubt, I am joking.

On a more serious note, I think it would make sense to start with a single block at the home goal end (near the away fans) if this is not going to distract Bownsy and the rest of the D too much. If people see the value of this they may wish to join a similar block at the other end. I don't think this will be a swift process but may be a worthwhile one.

pjj365

I recommend a 'Sing for Your Seat' program. If you are behind the away goal and can prove that you can sing above 90db (the volume that a dogs squeeze toy makes) then you can keep your seat. If not, it will be turned into terracing...........

In case of any doubt, I am joking.

On a more serious note, I think it would make sense to start with a single block at the home goal end (near the away fans) if this is not going to distract Bownsy and the rest of the D too much. If people see the value of this they may wish to join a similar block at the other end. I don't think this will be a swift process but may be a worthwhile one.
On the serious note it might be an idea to use just the top 3 rows or so to see how it goes
According to Fercoseating their system increases capacity so a good number of ST seats are likely to be freed up. Whether these, which are going to be gold or silver seats, are of interest to walk ups is a consideration in fund the new area

Koop11

There is clearly an appetite for a standing area in the arena. I know many who were disappointed that there was limited standing options in the new arena, although thrilled with the wonderful facility SORAC and other helped deliver for us.

The issues are that we have gained around 1000 fans, many of which only know seating at the arena and have no desire to stand. My guess is many of these fans are located in what are traditional arena standing blocks (i.e. behind, and/or in the corners blocks of the goal end we shoot at twice). There are also long term fans who prefer to sit behind this section. The idea of now turning any of these blocks into standing would be controversial.

If therefore the only option is make the opposite blocks standing, would those fans want to move there? If there is divided opinions on that (some opinions of here would suggest so) then such a move might be counterproductive as it may not create the atmosphere most crave.

I’m not sure what building/safety regulations come into play here. It might be fine removing seats and creating a standing block/s for hockey but does that limit the arena for other events (I don’t know)?

If the club and management of Viola arena are seriously considering a standing block/s then they may want to consult with fans and other users to get better idea of the desire for such a change. A dozen or so opinions on this forum may not be a fair reflection.

I personally prefer to sit but I would welcome a standing block if that is what the fans want and if it works for the good of the club and spectators.

pjj365

There is clearly an appetite for a standing area in the arena. I know many who were disappointed that there was limited standing options in the new arena, although thrilled with the wonderful facility SORAC and other helped deliver for us.

The issues are that we have gained around 1000 fans, many of which only know seating at the arena and have no desire to stand. My guess is many of these fans are located in what are traditional arena standing blocks (i.e. behind, and/or in the corners blocks of the goal end we shoot at twice). There are also long term fans who prefer to sit behind this section. The idea of now turning any of these blocks into standing would be controversial.

If therefore the only option is make the opposite blocks standing, would those fans want to move there? If there is divided opinions on that (some opinions of here would suggest so) then such a move might be counterproductive as it may not create the atmosphere most crave.

I’m not sure what building/safety regulations come into play here. It might be fine removing seats and creating a standing block/s for hockey but does that limit the arena for other events (I don’t know)?

If the club and management of Viola arena are seriously considering a standing block/s then they may want to consult with fans and other users to get better idea of the desire for such a change. A dozen or so opinions on this forum may not be a fair reflection.

I personally prefer to sit but I would welcome a standing block if that is what the fans want and if it works for the good of the club and spectators.
From the Fercoseating spec sheet it looks like they provide lockable seats. In the locked up position they provide a railed standing area in the locked down position seating
Legislation is probably no bar as they have been installed at Celtic FC and Shrewsbury FC are applying to install. From the Fercoseating web site it looks like Local Authority agreement is needed though

Last edited:

Temme

Just a suggestion;

There is absolutely nothing against the club picking a random midweek game (Dundee in a few weeks on a Thursday?)
and making the block behind the away goal - even if it's just the top 3 rows.

There's also nothing against the fans themselves trying this (taking flags, drums, noise) and standing at the back of those blocks.

hip check

Always stood at both WNIR and BBT but my back is knackered now so would probs stay seated, saying that I believe standing is better for atmosphere and would certainly welcome an area where like minded people could do this.
I sit right in the middle/front of block 4 so could be one of the people disrupted by any plans but would be willing to go along with the idea if it involved my block..anything to improve the atmosphere.

The_Puck

Looks like there’s going to be a trail for a loud block at next weeks game against Coventry. It’s going to be in block 13 with the drums being moved there as well as there will be flags and the CHL banners. Tickets should be bought from the top row down. Hopefully as many fans can go to that block for that game and to make as much noise as possible.

Swarley

Looks like there’s going to be a trail for a loud block at next weeks game against Coventry. It’s going to be in block 13 with the drums being moved there as well as there will be flags and the CHL banners. Tickets should be bought from the top row down. Hopefully as many fans can go to that block for that game and to make as much noise as possible.
That's my season ticket block and I'm absolutely over the moon people are coming down to the cheap seats to bring the noise!