Standing Area

Thread starter #1
It’s been mentioned a lot on here and social media about a standing area now that our fanbase are self confessed Ultras after the European jaunt. Indeed Mr Kerman himself mentioned how he’d like the idea.

Realistically, what do we think?

Is it a good idea?

Is it even feasible? There would obviously need to be structural adjustments for barriers, seats would have to come out, but also be able to be put back in easily for other events. Would Greenbank go for it? And can it actually be done? It might be an easy way to raise the capacity slightly ($$$$$$).

Where would it be? Behind our goal I would think - an easy way of filling the most common empty seats but importantly one of the few places they wouldn’t block anyone’s view. (It’s also close to the away block for when it kicks off).

Other lesser important questions; will these new Ultras give themselves a collective name? Will they wear Burberry? Will they organise a scrap in the car park with other teams fans?

Ger-Devils

Ultras?

None of us are, we just took the mentality of the flags and banners nothing more. We like to stand and sing that’s it. No violence, enjoy ourselves and support the club.

The talk of a section behind the goal(Bowns end) but again that could be a way off.

I’ve stood for many years at sports events(grew up on the Bob bank and Grange end) and then the tent my season ticket was on the plexi by the away goal.

I’d love a standing section to be honest and was one of the people in Graz waving a flag. They were used when we scored and when the teams came out and when we won. That’s it and would be the same at home games.

Belfast have a section, Glasgow have a section for flags etc. What’s the issue?

The thing that I don't like are people who never travel with the club on CHL away games and are quick to critisise fans who are trying to support their team and club. Steve King, Brian Parker and Todd Kelman are supporting the idea of a flag/banner standing area and I know of about 200 ST holders who would be willing to give up their seat to move to an area at the sparsley unpopuled far end. As Ger-Devils says, we are supporters and not into violence and you so ignorantly suggest!

Kevlar68

I think before we go thinking of how to fit in a standing area we need to focus on selling out. Taking seats out to accommodate standing would only shift the empty seats to other areas of the arena where the fans have moved and if we add a new standing area as well as all the seats remaining then that will create even more empty seats.

What capacity we looking at for the standing area?

I think before we go thinking of how to fit in a standing area we need to focus on selling out. Taking seats out to accommodate standing would only shift the empty seats to other areas of the arena where the fans have moved and if we add a new standing area as well as all the seats remaining then that will create even more empty seats.

What capacity we looking at for the standing area?
The contary, it would increase capacity by putting up for resale the ST seats vacated by standing fans. It would fill an otherwise empty block/s and allow the club to increase ST capacity. Win/Win.

Kevlar68

So we can't sell out the capacity we have at the moment and we're going to increase it?

The vacated ST seats which i'm guessing is season ticket doesn't mean more ST holders will buy them.

Last edited:

Gazza272

So we can't sell out the capacity we have at the moment and we're going to increase it?

The vacated ST seats which i'm guessing is season ticket doesn't mean more ST holders will buy them.

We sell out loads? Granted we didn't this weekend, but for the run in the last few years attendance has never been a problem.

August/september you have people on holidays, school is just starting etc. But I don't think attendance is an issue for us.

Thread starter #9
The thing that I don't like are people who never travel with the club on CHL away games and are quick to critisise fans who are trying to support their team and club. Steve King, Brian Parker and Todd Kelman are supporting the idea of a flag/banner standing area and I know of about 200 ST holders who would be willing to give up their seat to move to an area at the sparsley unpopuled far end. As Ger-Devils says, we are supporters and not into violence and you so ignorantly suggest!
You are assuming that I didn’t go to the CHL away games. You are also assuming that I don’t go to away games in general. Firstly you have no idea who I am. Secondly you have no idea how many away games I’ve been to. Thirdly I must’ve missed the the criteria for criticisms because I don’t recall ever been told my opinion is based on how many away games I’ve been to.

You are also assuming that I’m not in support of said standing area. My only comments for and against it was that it would potentially increase capacity and sell tickets where no one wants to buy. My other comments were questions other feasibility and tongue in cheek remarks after a few excitable comments I’ve seen/heard comparing Devils fans to that of Ultras in Europe and how everyone else is bad for not making noise.

For what it’s worth, I like the idea if it can be done with the arena being returned to full seating immediately after the Devils usage. I wouldn’t personally stand there, I hate singing songs about players. But I appreciate the atmosphere that it may create.

The end in question is rarely full as we all know (walk up tickets for mainly fleeting attendees) and would be fuller with the standing area, infact seats needn't be taken out. Dave, have you been on a CHL trip? Genuine question. And you made two references to violence. Expect critisism when you made those remarks.

Thread starter #12
The end in question is rarely full as we all know (walk up tickets for mainly fleeting attendees) and would be fuller with the standing area, infact seats needn't be taken out. Dave, have you been on a CHL trip? Genuine question. And you made two references to violence. Expect critisism when you made those remarks.
Yes I have.

Genuine question. Did you really think I was serious about fights in the car park?

And you would have to take seats out and replace them with barriers. It’s a health and safety thing. It’s one thing the club allowing a bit of standing in the back row, it’s another thing advertising it as such and allowing a number of rows of it. Allowing standing in the back row isn’t actually allowed under the current construction set up.

Kevlar68

Wonder what the safety inspection certificate for the arena says about people standing along the tops of the seats. Would the arena be in breach of it if they did a snap inspection?

Yes I have.

Genuine question. Did you really think I was serious about fights in the car park?

And you would have to take seats out and replace them with barriers. It’s a health and safety thing. It’s one thing the club allowing a bit of standing in the back row, it’s another thing advertising it as such and allowing a number of rows of it. Allowing standing in the back row isn’t actually allowed under the current construction set up.
Don't make remarks and then hide behind the old 'tongue in cheek' and 'don't you have a sense of humor' excuse.

Thread starter #15
Don't make remarks and then hide behind the old 'tongue in cheek' and 'don't you have a sense of humor' excuse.
So you think I was being serious about our fans having fights in the car park?

If you say I’m ‘hiding behind the old tongue in cheek’ that means you thought I was being serious and am now back tracking? So you genuinely thought that I believe our fans might fight others in the car park. Dear lord.

pjj365

It's one thing being together at away games it's another giving up your ST spot

Would people give up their position and move to blocks 13 - 15 to sign and chant - I really don't know but I'm sure it's one of the factors Todd is considering.

Also, these blocks are Bronze - would they have to be cheaper for standing, would the more expensive Silver and Gold vacated seats attract the casuals? Again no ideas just the ££££ questions

As ever I'm just glad I'm not doing the projections/sums on this but would be great if it could be done

The_Puck

I’ve always wanting a standing section in the rink for a while now. I used to stand in the BBT but unfortunately can’t do that anymore in the Viola.
If possible, we should remove blocks 3,4 and 5 and add railings on every row where seats would be. You should then make the stand 18+ to convince health and safety that everything’s safe. We should then have those banners and flags from the CHL in use every home game in that stand. Todd should then reduce the season tickets prices by £50 for those who have had to move because of the standing section. There are more and more songs being created but hardly anyone knows the lyrics to them becomes they don’t get sung at home. And for those who do try to sing it doesn’t get heard as everyone is distanced from each other in the rink now. If everyone is standing together, then more songs will get heard and more support for the players. If anything was to happen then I would presume it would be done during the off season, but a standing section is crucial. We all admire the support from European fans travelling to the Viola, well let’s make something similar for home games.

Kevlar68

Remove 3 blocks? i think starting with one to start and see if that gets filled before removing the other 2.

And i sit in block 4 so i'd be against that block being used and most of those seats get bought or are season ticket holders in 3,4 and 5.

Blocks 13,14 and 15 would be the obvious choice as that's where the most empty seats are.