Sointu moves on

moggy#9

Didn’t Todd in the first q and a just over a month ago say something along the lines of “we probably can’t keep sointu due to budget “so probably means we can’t afford this Chris pronged like player who’s unemployed and waiting for us to call
I think we have to be realistic in that for someone to come in someone else would have to go, and that just isn't the club's style. I'm hoping that mosey is fit soon, but it's far more important that his return isn't rushed and he isn't jeopardised further.

Mazzoak

If we sign a D man, someone will almost certainly have to be released. No way will will carry a spare D who can’t play forward.

Can’t see it. If we get anyone it’ll be a forward.

We aren’t conceding goals because we’re missing a stay at home D man. We’re conceding goals because our TEAM defence has been poor. For those saying we need a stay at home D, do you honestly watch back the goals we concede and work out where it went wrong? I put it in the thread for the Fife game, but it’s relevant here; of the 5 we conceded against Fife, 3 came from the point because the forward coverage of the D was lazy and not good enough, another was an odd man rush, again a forward not getting back quick enough - D men can do very little in an odd man rush until support from the first forward back is there (the final goal was a mess and just one of those things). It’s not just D who are responsible for defending.
Not totally disagreeing, accept your limiting your blame to the team as a whole or at least that is how I’m reading it without addressing lines. If we only played one line hockey, yes, your absolutely correct. We don’t, it’s far more complicated than that, as I assume your more than aware of.
l agree one stay at home D man isn’t a solution, it’s a start though, but unless he’s there for 60 minutes, its a waste.
We are conceding goals for several reasons, from individuals not doing what there paid for right up to the opposition bench out coaching us through the game.

I'd like to think the club did everything in their power to keep sointu. Weather it's a financial decision by the club to let him go ,I've no idea. Apart from haddad he's been our most consistent forward for the last 6 weeks imo. He had good speed and vision, he would have cemented any line he was on reminded me a little of morisette 3 years ago, didn't defend quite as well as Jake. I'd love to see him back next year on a full season contract . I can believe he hasn't got a club to go to , hope another elite team don't come in for him , it could come back and bite us on the arse

Mazzoak

Didn’t Todd in the first q and a just over a month ago say something along the lines of “we probably can’t keep sointu due to budget “so probably means we can’t afford this Chris pronged like player who’s unemployed and waiting for us to call
Not only that our style of recruitment is recommendation vía friends of friends, eventually that dries up. We could be at that point.
A reluctance to fire underachieving players, that’s commendable if you are building a young enthusiastic team or individuals, for a team of experienced imports with proven history who are not achieving, that’s a crazy policy, it shouldn’t ever be an issue.
Maybe Todd needs to recruit an ex player to get out into the world and actively source potential players, may save you money long term.

Imp

Liiga is about 1/3rd of the way through their season and currently on an international break (10 days).

Not sure exactly how it works in Finland, but it would make sense if it‘s a time when teams reshuffle a bit and maybe take a chance on some new faces. Sointu might be in with a shout at one of the (lower placed?) Liiga teams ... or in Mestis (where he’s played more recently, if some of their players are called up to Liiga).

Lord’s interview (YouTube) seems fairly positive on the relationship between Sointu and Devils ... but maybe hints that Sointu perhaps wasn’t hugely impressed with “the EIHL”, which I suppose has come a long way in a short time but may well look like a pub league if you’ve been raised in “a hockey country”.

moggy#9

Liiga is about 1/3rd of the way through their season and currently on an international break (10 days).

Not sure exactly how it works in Finland, but it would make sense if it‘s a time when teams reshuffle a bit and maybe take a chance on some new faces. Sointu might be in with a shout at one of the (lower placed?) Liiga teams ... or in Mestis (where he’s played more recently, if some of their players are called up to Liiga).

Lord’s interview (YouTube) seems fairly positive on the relationship between Sointu and Devils ... but maybe hints that Sointu perhaps wasn’t hugely impressed with “the EIHL”, which I suppose has come a long way in a short time but may well look like a pub league if you’ve been raised in “a hockey country”.
Given the goal review and goal peg issues recently I can see the negative view of the eihl having been re-enforced.

Mazzoak

When it comes to building next year's team he'd be high on my list of players to try to recruit.
We wouldn’t be alone in that.

The more the league progresses, the high the calibre of players & with that comes that problem of finance. Assuming others increase their player budgets, which wouldn’t surprise, buying the league may make no business sense, some fans only crave results above anything else. This increases the need to either accept lower expectations or drastically increase clever recruitment or someone needs to get their black card out & increase investment.

moggy#9

We wouldn’t be alone in that.

The more the league progresses, the high the calibre of players & with that comes that problem of finance. Assuming others increase their player budgets, which wouldn’t surprise, buying the league may make no business sense, some fans only crave results above anything else. This increases the need to either accept lower expectations or drastically increase clever recruitment or someone needs to get their black card out & increase investment.
It's a fair comment. It's an interesting balance to be had between known quantities who may cost but can be expected to deliver and new players who may struggle or take time to settle.

Mazzoak

Fingers crossed for next yrs recruitment that includes him with a younger, hungrier team that can work together at a similar level to each other.