Six Nations to be played behind closed doors

Hedd Wyn John

Whatever one thinks of rugby or the six nations it has a huge economic benefit to Cardiff.

Further to that all the predictions for omicron have been wrong. South Africa was right it is much milder than previous waves.

Gisland

South Africa was right it is much milder than previous waves.[/QUOTE]

Correct. Issue now is staffing. Get a sniff and you are away from work for 7 days. Get sniff and you are a civil servant, you get a paid 7 day holiday.
I personally know 4 medical workers from our local hospital that used the same LATERAL FLOW TEST result to get 7 days off work. That was 3 days ago. Totally disgusted...

Hedd Wyn John

Some positive news:

The covid infection rate has dropped in Wales for 2nd day in a row. Hopefully this will keep going and we can have restrictions relaxed soon.

bb1

South Africa was right it is much milder than previous waves.
Correct. Issue now is staffing. Get a sniff and you are away from work for 7 days. Get sniff and you are a civil servant, you get a paid 7 day holiday.
I personally know 4 medical workers from our local hospital that used the same LATERAL FLOW TEST result to get 7 days off work. That was 3 days ago. Totally disgusted...[/QUOTE]

It won't be too long before all testing is scrapped and we will be told to crack on as normal. They are even talking about it now.

Finny

Your absolutely right. They actually don't give much of a toss about any of us really. Rumor has it (AND IT'S JUST A RUMOR) that wales restrictions maybe dropped next week.

What a coincidence after the WRU put the pressure on with threatening to take games to England. If this RUMOR happens to be true than it really does show that politicians, first ministers etc... really don't give a toss about public health if a rugby union is able to influence their decisions.
Or it could be that the data is starting to suggest we are already either reaching the peak or have reached it?

RTfarty

While having the vaccine as you say doesn’t stop you catching covid, the vaccine is designed to make your symptoms as mild as possible, so you don’t require any hospital care / treatment.
The point of any lockdown / vaccine is to help protect the NHS from being over run with patients needing care.
Less covid patients leads to less operations getting cancelled etc etc.
For me if people choose not to have the vaccine that’s there right to do so. But if it’s held against them anywhere in society, such as attending sporting events / traveling abroad etc, that’s something they can’t really complain about.
It truly baffles me that after all this time, this still needs explaining to people. It perfectly encapsulates the arrogance of people and the blind eye they're willing to turn towards leading experts in science and medicine, usually in favor of their 'own research' they've done on Twitter and Facebook.

Finny

My word, the looney left on here have been stirred into a response by these posts this afternoon. No point arguing with them, Drakeford is their hero and can do no wrong. For all their protestations, Wales has fared no better throughout the pandemic than England despite us having to endure far more draconian measures
Is not being able to go to nightclubs and live sport for a couple of weeks really classed as draconian?
England's hospitalisation rate is currently 4 times higher than Wales' so I'd say we are fairing a lot better at the moment.

august04 2.0

Is not being able to go to nightclubs and live sport for a couple of weeks really classed as draconian?
England's hospitalisation rate is currently 4 times higher than Wales' so I'd say we are fairing a lot better at the moment.
It’s not just nightclubs and live sport though, is it. Hospitality venues have been severely impacted by the restrictions and over reaction, as has retail too. As has peoples' mental well-being. This overreaction to Omicron scared people half to death again, so that they’ve become afraid of their own shadows once again, despite the evidence now that it’s 90% milder (which South Africa were advising before Drakeford imposed further restrictions on us). It might not effect you too much, but it certainly effects those people in Wales whose businesses are suffering unnecessarily. As long as you’re alright though eh?

Finny

It’s not just nightclubs and live sport though, is it. Hospitality venues have been severely impacted by the restrictions and over reaction, as has retail too. As has peoples' mental well-being. This overreaction to Omicron scared people half to death again, so that they’ve become afraid of their own shadows once again, despite the evidence now that it’s 90% milder (which South Africa were advising before Drakeford imposed further restrictions on us). It might not effect you too much, but it certainly effects those people in Wales whose businesses are suffering unnecessarily. As long as you’re alright though eh?
So it's Drakeford's fault that people are worried about Omicron?
Seriously?
Do you have any actual figures on how it is affecting businesses?
I remember before Christmas seeing owners on TV complaining about the new restrictions - but also complaining that their businesses were quiet beforehand because people didn't want to risk catching it.
I've also seen businesses cancel bookings because they have too many staff off sick with Covid to be able to run their full hours.

The risk is still there. My dad's neighbour tested positive on Mon 27th Dec.
On Fri 31st Dec they were taken to hospital.
On Mon 3rd January they sadly died.

But yeh, people are over-reacting. Get out there and spend your money people before you die!!!

Rempel16

That is sad, it's horrible that Covid can have this affect.

But for every story of this nature there's stories showing minimal outcomes. For example, a staff member of mine. She tested positive on Christmas day and subsequently gave it to her 84 year old nan and 90 year old grandma. Neither had anything more than cold-like symptoms and both are fine now.

Rhyan48

My dad has COPD Lung problem and he had covid last week had nothing more than a cold he gets more I’ll off a chest infection or the actual flu , he is classed as high risk but he was fine and he said him self he would rather have COVID than a normal flu or chest infection, I my self have had covid too sorry but have to live with it yes it’s sad people lose life’s and I wouldn’t say any different but it’s also sad people lose they life’s off a lot worse illnesses this is not the worst thing out there far far from

august04 2.0

Seriously?
Do you have any actual figures on how it is affecting businesses?
I remember before Christmas seeing owners on TV complaining about the new restrictions - but also complaining that their businesses were quiet beforehand because people didn't want to risk catching it.
I've also seen businesses cancel bookings because they have too many staff off sick with Covid to be able to run their full hours.

But yeh, people are over-reacting. Get out there and spend your money people before you die!!!
Yes, he continues to scare those more gullible people half to death with his doomsday scenarios, most of which have now thankfully been debunked. Glad you agree that people are over reacting! You should work for the WG with your hysterical nonsense, you’d fit in well.

NathanG

It truly baffles me that after all this time, this still needs explaining to people. It perfectly encapsulates the arrogance of people and the blind eye they're willing to turn towards leading experts in science and medicine, usually in favor of their 'own research' they've done on Twitter and Facebook.

Tbh with you and the original poster, I don't give a toss if a person is vaccinated or not. No skin off my nose. I'm just curious why the hate. It's turning into such a divisive topic now, much like Brexit was.

I can't wait to see what happens post covid. The next divisive topic.

Finny

Yes, he continues to scare those more gullible people half to death with his doomsday scenarios, most of which have now thankfully been debunked. Glad you agree that people are over reacting! You should work for the WG with your hysterical nonsense, you’d fit in well.
Apologies for not pointing out that the last line of my post was sarcastic. I thought it would be obvious.

What doomsday scenarios are you on about? What has he said that has scared people half to death?
No response to my question on actual data on how the restrictions have hindered the retail and hospitality industries in Wales?

Rempel16

No response to my question on actual data on how the restrictions have hindered the retail and hospitality industries in Wales?
Do you honestly believe that hospitality hasn't suffered as a result of the restrictions?
Forget NYE parties that would have only sold a quarter of the tickets because of the limits to tables, let's use the IAW bar as an example....

Are you saying that they haven't suffered with restrictions - have they sold as much beer as they would on a match night? Impressive if so.

It's obvious that these industries have been hindered. And a number will certainly struggle to survice. Data isn't needed to know that, common sense will tell you.

august04 2.0

Apologies for not pointing out that the last line of my post was sarcastic. I thought it would be obvious.

What doomsday scenarios are you on about? What has he said that has scared people half to death?
I wasn’t referring to the last line! You need actual data? Laughable….

Jonesy83

Tbh with you and the original poster, I don't give a toss if a person is vaccinated or not. No skin off my nose. I'm just curious why the hate. It's turning into such a divisive topic now, much like Brexit was.

I can't wait to see what happens post covid. The next divisive topic.
I don’t care if people have or haven’t had the vaccine, personal choice as far as I’m concerned.

I think the hate from some, stems from the fact that we are only putting our lives on hold with lockdowns / restrictions to protect the NHS. The unvaccinated, will be the reason we have restrictions for longer or at all, because they will be primarily the people who “over run” the health service. Which a lot of people deem selfish and that’s where the resentment grows from.