Signings for 2021/22 season

august04 2.0

Just wondering who we all think will return for next season? No doubt we’ve already re-signed some players so I think our current roster might look something like this

Defence

Mikkelson
Richardson
Louis
Batch

Forwards

Haddad
Myers
Ben Davies
Mosey
Duggan
Rutkis
I don’t think you’ll be far off with this list…..Jardine, Fournier and Dixon would be great too.

Diablo3

You can probably add Dixon to the non returnees.
On Wally's 2 Ales podcast it sounds like he's retired
I listened to that too, he said he was itching to get on the ice, but like you I don't think that will be with us as much as I would like it.

moggy#9

I agree, I don’t think Bowns is the player he was a few years ago (and he wasn’t consistent in his final year with us either) but has been unlucky with a very serious injury last year. I’m really hoping we go with a stud NM this year - the best import goalie we can possibly afford (alongside a solid backup to push eachother for starts, no problem if that is Bowns, budget permitting).
I think that bownsy just got burnt out. Teams going with effectively one goalie in a league of this level is frankly ludicrous.

moggy#9

Be surprised if jardine is back, depends if lord moves on to better things after this season and may take jardine with him .
I guess there's a lot of personal factors. Jardine is still young. I'd love to have him back, but I'd completely understand if he thinks he has a shot at something better.

terry hunt

The interview with Bownsy on the EIHL website is worth a listen.
He and his partner have had a rough year.
He says he is still looking at playing in Europe or getting a contract in the UK.No mention of the Devils.
I am guessing he is looking elsewhere and good luck to him.
I am concerned about some of our Brits.Batch seemed to have a lot of icetime and with a regular partner.Finners may be looking at a pair.Duggan also seemed to be playing well under Danny Stewart who is a bloody good coach.

Ocko

Well I can see Haddad and Jardine returning, Greenville is no great shakes, and no C and A is going to alter that, they are there to play and to earn a income for me that’s it. So these guys plus Dixon Louis and the Brit squad please, add the amazing new signings and we are again the team to beat.
Oh no you’ve jinxed us now Wannabe like you did with Joey M certain to come back :p

Controversial but I’m not sure about Dixon, he’d be 36 by the time the season starts and hasn’t played anywhere this season and by his own admission doesn’t really enjoy the conditioning side of things. Could be a season too far.

I hope Jardine and Haddad are back - I don’t think the ECHL is a great life or good money maker so we stand a chance of keeping them regardless of Lord. The big body blow is losing Martin for recruitment and retaining our other core players. Might see a massive turnover.

voth26

The interview with Bownsy on the EIHL website is worth a listen.
He and his partner have had a rough year.
He says he is still looking at playing in Europe or getting a contract in the UK.No mention of the Devils.
I am guessing he is looking elsewhere and good luck to him.
I am concerned about some of our Brits.Batch seemed to have a lot of icetime and with a regular partner.Finners may be looking at a pair.Duggan also seemed to be playing well under Danny Stewart who is a bloody good coach.
Just watched Bens interview, big thing stood out for me is him wearing a panthers jacket so I think he's bound for nottingham this season!!, he could have worn anything else

KaneDevils

Just watched Bens interview, big thing stood out for me is him wearing a panthers jacket so I think he's bound for nottingham this season!!, he could have worn anything else
He's currently playing for them though isn't he, during this mini pre season thingy. He prefers a move to Europe and a bigger and better league. I'd be amazed if he starts the season in this league especially after the game today.

jenks33

Thread starter #34
I don’t doubt Bownsy’s ability. As we saw today he’s more than good enough to still be our number one goalie. I just think he’s lost that motivation and appetite when it comes to the EIHL and that’s why I would like us to move on

KaneDevils

I don’t doubt Bownsy’s ability. As we saw today he’s more than good enough to still be our number one goalie. I just think he’s lost that motivation and appetite when it comes to the EIHL and that’s why I would like us to move on
Well if that's true then we have little choice.
Id personally word it differently and say; he feels he can try his hand at a better and higher league whilst living and experiencing a different part of the world.

Wannabe2

He's currently playing for them though isn't he, during this mini pre season thingy. He prefers a move to Europe and a bigger and better league. I'd be amazed if he starts the season in this league especially after the game today.
How is Bownsy currently playing for them, that finished weeks ago he ain’t paid by them or signed by them.

jenks33

Thread starter #37
Well if that's true then we have little choice.
Id personally word it differently and say; he feels he can try his hand at a better and higher league whilst living and experiencing a different part of the world.
By the way when I say he’s lost motivation with the EIHL I don’t really blame him. It’s not really a criticism as he’s played in the EIHL for nearly a decade and he’s won everything. I just think I’d rather us sign a goalie that’s possibly a bit hungrier at the moment

ASHIPP

Bownsey always wanted to start every game at his clubs. Unless he has had a change of heart, can anyone see him forming a tandem partnership with Whistle at Panthers? They would both be vying for the starting role. Just can't see it. That leaves about 3 other clubs he might consider in Elite League if a European opportunity did not present itself.

As for the Devils, it was known for a long time that Bownsey wanted to leave for Europe. When he eventually left our club, there was no hint by him or the club of him returning. Our new coach is his own man. He has had a substantial time to decide the composition of his new team and has probably been talking to/got his shortlist of players already. Including the starting goalie who is arguably one of the most important elements.