Signing announcement

moggy#9

Thread starter #22
This signing today makes me wonder if it was brought forward from Friday and fridays announcement will be new coach or coaches..
If that were the case of expect there to be a massive build up as the club would want to milk it for as much publicity as it could. The fact that we're 2 days out and very little has been said suggests to me that it's another expected returnee such as duggan or Myers.

moggy#9

Thread starter #23
Well pleased, he has improved every game he has played, gonna be a top sought after brit in years to come...
I find it a bit surprising that it's still a 2 way contract for him. I'm not really familiar with such things, but are there rules around age and number of games played for each club around this sort of thing?

kingmo19.1

I’m hearing a strong rumour it’s Thommo on a 1 year deal with a younger Canadian assistant coach under his wing. After season 1 its envisaged the Canadian guy will then take over.

Kind of makes sense under current circumstances.

The_Puck

I’m hearing a strong rumour it’s Thommo on a 1 year deal with a younger Canadian assistant coach under his wing. After season 1 its envisaged the Canadian guy will then take over.

Todd did say in an interview that our assistant coach would have to based locally because of budget restrictions so i can't imagine us bringing someone overseas to be our assistant coach. And there's no way we would even think about Thommo, we want to make fans, not lose them.

Just want to put it out there, in Todd’s interview he said that up to 80 people had applied for the role. Some being for NHL guys, Ahl guys ETC. With that in mind I really do not think that Paul Thompson, a coach who is widely known as a laughing stock within our league, will be appointed as our coach, 1 year or not

osh

Just want to put it out there, in Todd’s interview he said that up to 80 people had applied for the role. Some being for NHL guys, Ahl guys ETC. With that in mind I really do not think that Paul Thompson, a coach who is widely known as a laughing stock within our league, will be appointed as our coach, 1 year or not
Sorry, couldn’t let your comment ‘widely known as a laughing stock within our league’ go without an answer. I was never a fan of his but there is no getting away from the fact he was hugely successful in our league structure.

Paul Thompson, a British ice hockey head coach and general manager. He was head coach of the Great Britain men's national ice hockey team from 2006 to 2011.[1] He is the winningest coach in the Elite Ice Hockey League, and has received nine Coach of the Year trophies in his career.[2] His teams have won three Challenge Cups, two British Knockout Cups, and he is the first coach to win five Elite League titles.[3] In the 2004–2005 season, Thompson completed the British Hockey Grand Slam; winning the Challenge Cup, the EIHL title, and the EIHL playoff championship.[4] He served as the general manager and head coach of the Sheffield Steelers from 2015 to 2018, and previously coached 19 seasons with the Coventry Blaze organisation, and is known by the nickname "Thommo".[4][5]

Can’t deny he has had a very good coaching career, however, I hope he never coaches the Devils.

Sorry, couldn’t let your comment ‘widely known as a laughing stock within our league’ go without an answer. I was never a fan of his but there is no getting away from the fact he was hugely successful in our league structure.

Paul Thompson, a British ice hockey head coach and general manager. He was head coach of the Great Britain men's national ice hockey team from 2006 to 2011.[1] He is the winningest coach in the Elite Ice Hockey League, and has received nine Coach of the Year trophies in his career.[2] His teams have won three Challenge Cups, two British Knockout Cups, and he is the first coach to win five Elite League titles.[3] In the 2004–2005 season, Thompson completed the British Hockey Grand Slam; winning the Challenge Cup, the EIHL title, and the EIHL playoff championship.[4] He served as the general manager and head coach of the Sheffield Steelers from 2015 to 2018, and previously coached 19 seasons with the Coventry Blaze organisation, and is known by the nickname "Thommo".[4][5]

Can’t deny he has had a very good coaching career, however, I hope he never coaches the Devils.
Oh no I was certainly not denying he has had a very good coaching career, but right now he is seen as a laughing stock within the league. Ask any elite league fan what they think of him and I am pretty sure the majority would agree that he is indeed a laughing stock within the league.

moggy#9

Thread starter #29
Oh no I was certainly not denying he has had a very good coaching career, but right now he is seen as a laughing stock within the league. Ask any elite league fan what they think of him and I am pretty sure the majority would agree that he is indeed a laughing stock within the league.
I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. I think he would completely undermine the ethos of the team and never gain the confidence of the fans. He might have done well in the past, but the league has moved on. We can do far better - someone with fresh ideas and no baggage.

ASHIPP

Great to see Toms re-signed. A young player with terrific speed, improving every game. Hope the new coaches will give him plenty of opportunities to develop and to play.

..."That Woman.......!!!!!."
Would never want him as our coach, arrogant, think he ran UK Hockey and wasn't a good coach anyway.
His recruitment strategy was to pick up players from clubs within our league.
Also has baggage with the Solihull mouth

Thommo coming to us no way thank you, not good enough for us, but to call him a laughing stock is unbelievably disrespectful, very poor choice of words.
No it isn’t a poor choice of words at all and if you think what I said was very disrespectful, I really hope you don’t see what others have called him in the past!

moggy#9

Thread starter #38
Ben Davies...must be a good shout as guildford would have signed their best brit by now surley..
I would be quite surprised if it were anyone new yet. I'd assumed that most players announced so far were on multi year contracts and they were just drip feeding the news. If I were in the club's position of save the new recruits until we know what's happening with the season and they want to build up the hype.

pjj365

I don't care who is signed - I've fallen out with the club!

How dare they confuse me. Keeping track of the days is difficult enough at the moment - and what do they do - announce Toms on a Wednesday - and not even at 1pm

Do they not care about their fans well being - for a moment (well an hour or so) I thought we were only 2 days till the pubs opened

ASHIPP

There is no denying that Thommo has had success in this league and has had experience in taking British teams into European competitions, coaching in European clubs and , of course, Team GB.

Bearing in mind how strange and uncertain these times are, a shorter season is a possibility. He ticks a lot of boxes so it is plausible he might be considered a short-term Head coach......but this would fly in the face of all the values the Club nurtures and how the players and personnel conduct themselves. His style is totally different to the previous coach as a coach and an individual.

Stranger things have happened but his close association with the Brummy idiot and the culture at his previous EIHL club would be hard to overlook.