Shortened season confirmed by Panthers?

RossDaws

Thread starter #2
Considering the league's recent statement stating the £4m will only be available if there's a product on the ice, I wouldn't be surprised if at least some hockey happened

mjh

Yep. Unless we can be there it won't be worth it, for me. I'm hoping for full season with full crowd. Great that they're looking at getting something moving but I wouldn't pay to watch lower quality online. Never been massively into watching our league online at the best of times as it is no substitute for the real experience of being there.

Devil94

Who's going to play in it? Cant see players like Richie, Louis, Mosey, Duggan, Martin coming back when they have a full normal season elsewhere. And 3 have obviously gone to Grenville.

Its going to be Batch, Myers and Rutkis, half of the Swindon team, some from Cardiff Fire and one or two cheap imports?

BostonBart22

thought indoor sports were banned after dec 2nd in england, and wouldnt surprise me if that is extended in january after the xmas get togethers...

NathanG

I'd love to watch some kind of hockey. Saves me taking a trip onto the continent as soon as travel restrictions are lifted.

matbur

There won't be fans, it won't be possible yet, not to attend indoor events in any case.

The league has to be active in order to be eligible for the grant funding. The league wasn't feasible previously without fans, however this funding enables it.

The biggest obstacle from a Devils perspective is that practically the entire roster has moved abroad for the year.

matbur

Who's going to play in it? Cant see players like Richie, Louis, Mosey, Duggan, Martin coming back when they have a full normal season elsewhere. And 3 have obviously gone to Grenville.

Its going to be Batch, Myers and Rutkis, half of the Swindon team, some from Cardiff Fire and one or two cheap imports?
My best guess would be something like this happening, it will be rushed to enable the league to get underway as soon as they have overcome the main operational issues.

I suspect other teams will be dealing with the same issues, so despite hype I don't think this competition will be viewed as a proper season. Nonetheless, it'll still be great to watch the Devils play (almost certainly via online stream).

BostonBart22

Ah well we got lawday and Murdy to start in net, plus max 3 imports i suppose... may watch a game to order on line , and as long as its not a season ticket game, fine by me...

kingmo19.1

So £4m split between 5 English teams amounts to £800,000 each! That’s a lot of funding for a condensed season to be fair.

Last edited:

davew

That £4m is a mix of grants and loans, so i wouldn't expect the full figure to be claimed by the league.

Interesting thought - the EIHA is "the English and Welsh Ice Hockey Association" as technically the governing body for Wales, some of that money should be for us and Deeside ?

Diablo3

From what I read, those players already in other leagues would stay there, the numbers would be made up of Brits playing in the NIHL. I would pay for the stream but I wouldn't use my 20/21 season tickets.