Season Cancelled

jimmy snels

with reference to refunds i wonder if it would help to just encompass it into next years games? maybe champions league games free or something. rather than dish out cash. id potentially take a Jersey if it works out for the club financially. must be a decent mark up on them anyhow.

just a couple of ideas

Imp

So many factors at play here. The volume of refunds is huge and likely far far bigger than ‘the system‘ is designed to cope with. It’s not just Devils and Devils games, it is potentially thousand of events and millions of refunds.

That money is (largely) not paid directly to The Devils. At the very least it goes to a ticketing company, and then to The Devils. Everyone along that chain has probably spent at least some of it already, so it’s likely not even as straightforward as reversing a long chain of transactions.

Even on a quite superficial level this is potentially a massive massive headache, that needs significant input from insurance companies, financial insitutions, and government agencies... all of whom are likely a teensy bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Eventually they’ll untangle all of this, but I can’t see it being done quickly.

Kevlar68

All businesses will have insurance of some sort, you can't run a business without insurance but in all cases i guess it will depend what that business insurance covers.

pjj365

“The play-offs aren’t cancelled per se, but we may rename them and we’re looking at many possible alternatives as a replacement.

Hmm!
Not cancelled, may rename them, looking at alternatives and a replacement - this is the nearest I've seen to cancellation

By all means do this - seems a good idea - but be honest. The rest of the statement makes it clear that PlayOffs can not happen. It will need to be a good alternative offering to make me want to attend

Diablo3

The playoffs can't go ahead whatever they decide to call it. The players have already gone home. He's also talking about September / October to start the new season depending on the Virus, that would mean the Devils bad month would be December!! ;)

Devilsatw

Tony Smith is proving how much of a joke this league really is. Eliteleague is cancelled with no champion so therefore giants are still number1. Yet he is still planning on running the playoffs even though half of the players have gone home and won’t be back?

Nothing seems to amaze me

Imp

... he is still planning on running the playoffs even though half of the players have gone home and won’t be back ...
My best guess would be that they’re committed to paying for the arena and appreciate that a lot of people have hotel bookings, have realised that refunds are unlikely/impossible - whereas rescheduling ‘something’ might be - and are engaged in a massive damage limitation exercise.

i really see no reason to assume anything other than that people are doing the best they can within the options available to them.

kingmo19.1

I wonder who is currently holding all of the £££££ generated from selling the playoff tickets ?

That ££££ is obviously generating interest on a daily basis and that will likely be a large figure come autumn (if that’s when the playoffs potentially go ahead!).

No doubt, the ‘honourable, responsible and truthful party’ holding the ££££ will distribute the interest equally back to the fans (whose money it actually is) !!!

Kevlar68

Refunds will have to be issued no matter what the wording they give, future dates may not be acceptable to some. The only way they could maybe keep most of the revenue is if they cancel this seasons playoffs all together and all tickets are valid for next seasons playoff as the same old faces will still want those seats.
If they were being realistic this season is cancelled, full stop. They can't call all the players back just for a weekend of hockey, that would be thoughtless of the EIHL board also ridiculous to even think that's what they would do.

E.D.S.

Stupid question.... does this mean the Challenge Cup is also null and void? Seems a bit daft if so given there was an out right winner but conversely if the season is cancelled then there is no winner of the Cup. Apologies if I've missed this in the postings above.

Imp

... responsible and truthful party’ holding the ££££ will distribute the interest equally back to the fans (whose money it actually is)...
I assume you are not familiar with the interest rates applied to business accounts at ~0.0% :D

Maybe 20p per £1000 per month, probably less (ie. nothing), and possibly even a nett loss with bank charges.

pjj365

Stupid question.... does this mean the Challenge Cup is also null and void? Seems a bit daft if so given there was an out right winner but conversely if the season is cancelled then there is no winner of the Cup. Apologies if I've missed this in the postings above.
Logically you are right given the wording

They should have said the rest of the season is cancelled and therefore there are no final leauge positions

This would rightly preserve Sheefields win but equally result in the PlayOffs having to be cancelled not just renamed/rescheduled

kingmo19.1

I assume you are not familiar with the interest rates applied to business accounts at ~0.0% :D

Maybe 20p per £1000 per month, probably less (ie. nothing), and possibly even a nett loss with bank charges.
Assuming it’s in one of those accounts !!!! The plot thickens!

Slartibartfast

I received an email for each of the games I had purchased. I can chose which games to use the credit for next season. I think this is very fair. The club will take a huge hit from the cancellation of these last games. If they make a tiny bit of interest by holding on to my money until next season then thats absolutely fine with me.
We will still have a club next season. Im not sure every other club will be so lucky.

Imp

Just had an email from Premier Inn saying they'll be offering people the chance to rebook or cancel. Doesn't directly relate to POFW but hopefully similar mails will be reaching hockey fans (and from other chains).

Kevlar68

Just a after thought. So we've paid for the POFW, it looks like that will now never happen so with that reason full refunds should be given as that event which we paid for specifically isn't going ahead.

BUT IF they POFW where to go ahead at a future date what would happen if the players were out of contract by that date? The teams may not have full rosters or would those players be obligated to play in POF?

Wannabe2

There is a refund option, so if you don’t take that then that’s up to you, All players will now be out of contract by that date absolutely. Don’t know what the problem is really,either take the refund which is on offer, or have faith in the tooth fairy. Over to you.

Imp

Just a after thought. So we've paid for the POFW, it looks like that will now never happen so with that reason full refunds should be given as that event which we paid for specifically isn't going ahead.

BUT IF they POFW where to go ahead at a future date what would happen if the players were out of contract by that date? The teams may not have full rosters or would they players be obligated to play in POF?
Probably better to think of it as "we paid for a weekend of hockey", we'll get a rescheduled and quite different weekend of hockey.

POFW20 Is dead.
Long live EOWH20!
EIHL Opening Weekend of Hockey 2020