Scott Matzka has sadly passed

Mooney#16

So sad especially as said for his kids. However what an inspirational legacy that man leaves behind him. He was a brilliant hockey player and centered one of arguably the Devils greatest lines. However I can only hope if met with anything like a similar amount of hardship, I faced it with the strength and pride he displayed. An inspirational man that proved it’s what you do with your life that counts.

Last edited:

BostonBart22

Great player..Great parent to a Great family R.I.P. Scott will always remember that fun night at the IAW for your homecoming.. hope the devils org has a banner to go in the rafters or at least his shirt in the bar area in his memory..

Wannabe2

So very very sad, a young man taken away in his prime, what a lousy feeling to lose one of your own. R.I.P Scott words cannot express the way we are all feeling tonight. Thank you for the time you had at ours, and the awesome memories you left us to cherish. Love to all your lovely family.xxx

Gaz G

The below is taken from the MyTurn4ALS Facebook page. I think it sums up the man perfectly.

Early this morning, Scott passed away surrounded by friends and family. He left this world on his own terms refusing to allow ALS (or anyone) to dictate how he would skate his final shift. His tenacity, generous heart and sense of humor remained with him until the end, his final words perfectly punctuated by a high eyebrow raise, laughter in his eyes and a flash of that incredible smile.

To say he will be missed is to drastically minimize what the loss of this extraordinary man represents...instead we remain grateful to have lived, loved and laughed with him. His magnetism was unparalleled, and to be in his presence was to witness grace, dedication and loyalty.

Being in Scott's presence was a feeling like no other. When he laughed, truly laughed it was infectious and impossible to resist, and his zeal for living was at times superhuman. For 40 years he gave his absolute best to every game, every job, every task and every relationship. He played to win, and went into every faceoff resolute in his ability to emerge victorious. In this last challenge his victory was incontestable - through an indomitable will he spread his message of perseverance, compassion and empathy. We will never know his equal.

august04

This is very raw still and deeply upsetting. I know it’s impossible to retire the jerseys of all our great players but I really hope we bestow that honour upon Scott Matzka. He was a terrific player for us, who gave his all every single shift and that world record team was a privilege to watch. I think we’ve all been moved by the courage he and his family showed throughout his battle with ALS and their inspirational work to raise awareness of it and at some point in the future, I hope we invite his family to Cardiff once more and see #15 raised to the rafters.

Gaz G

This is very raw still and deeply upsetting. I know it’s impossible to retire the jerseys of all our great players but I really hope we bestow that honour upon Scott Matzka. He was a terrific player for us, who gave his all every single shift and that world record team was a privilege to watch. I think we’ve all been moved by the courage he and his family showed throughout his battle with ALS and their inspirational work to raise awareness of it and at some point in the future, I hope we invite his family to Cardiff once more and see #15 raised to the rafters.
I'd happily contribute £100 towards getting them here if the club decide to make this happen. I'm sure others would follow. Scott's children watching their fathers jersey raised to the rafters or put in the often talked about "hall of fame", so they are reminded how much of a legend he was is something they deserve to see.

Koop11

Very sad indeed. From diagnosis to his last moments were no doubt troubling times for him and his young family but he showed so much courage and positivity which in the long run will be a huge comfort and inspiration to his wife, children and many other who knew him.

God bless Mr Matzka and his family. A Devils legend.

Temme

Absolutely devastating news,

a true professional who wore his heart on his sleeve when with the Devils & one of the best C men we've been blessed with on any roster in the club.

What amazed most of all was his tenacity in the face of a death sentence, a real never say die attitude and someone who stayed strong & committed to spreading his message and fighting for ALS treatment & raising funds for a cure to be found.

An absolutely incredible human being that as hockey fans we had the privilege of knowing both as a LEGEND on the ice, and a HERO off it.

Rest easy Scott.

As some of you may see on Twitter -
let's make the 15th Minute of the 22nd Dec game vs Dundee a special one in the Matzka family honour, i've suggested a simple "Matzka ...... Matzka ........ Matzka ....... " rather than a "Devils ...... Devils ..... Devils....". Would be amazing if this something that we can all get behind.