Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2022/23

jenks33

Jardine to the Devils rumours doing the rounds again on twitter. Possible D pairings for next season?

Richie - Jardine

Thompson - Crawford

Louis - Batch

Devil94

I wonder what's happening with Register. I thought he would be one of the first on the list to be back and I was very confident that he would want to come back too. But it's all gone very quiet.
But as listed above, that does look a strong defensive group. The only unknowns are of course the 2nd line. Thompson very difficult to say anything about as information is sparse, but could be a gem. The little I've seen of Crawford I'm confident he will be a big hit with Devils fans and looks a good player.
I only expected 2 new d-men this off season, one offensive minded and one big stay at home guy. I guess that's what we might have with Thompon and Crawford, and Jardine is a sort of hybrid of both.
Jardine and Crawford will be big on our PPs too. I think I read that Crawford was the highest point scoring defencemen on powerplays in the ECHL. With those two quarterbacking our 2 units our powerplay should continue where it left off last season as the best in the league.

moggy#9

Jardine to the Devils rumours doing the rounds again on twitter. Possible D pairings for next season?

Richie - Jardine

Thompson - Crawford

Louis - Batch
Jardine was a bit raw when he first came to us, but was really starting to mature by the end of that season. After the level he's been playing at since, he could easily be one of the best defencemen in the league.

MA18

Richie - Jardine

Thompson - Crawford

Louis - Batch
I wonder what's happening with Register. I thought he would be one of the first on the list to be back and I was very confident that he would want to come back too. But it's all gone very quiet.
But as listed above, that does look a strong defensive group. The only unknowns are of course the 2nd line. Thompson very difficult to say anything about as information is sparse, but could be a gem. The little I've seen of Crawford I'm confident he will be a big hit with Devils fans and looks a good player.
I only expected 2 new d-men this off season, one offensive minded and one big stay at home guy. I guess that's what we might have with Thompon and Crawford, and Jardine is a sort of hybrid of both.
Jardine and Crawford will be big on our PPs too. I think I read that Crawford was the highest point scoring defencemen on powerplays in the ECHL. With those two quarterbacking our 2 units our powerplay should continue where it left off last season as the best in the league.
My understanding is Register will be playing elsewhere in Europe and wasn’t planning on coming back.
Jardine will be back and has improved since he left us, good signing.

Devil94

My understanding is Register will be playing elsewhere in Europe and wasn’t planning on coming back.
Jardine will be back and has improved since he left us, good signing.
OK fair enough, good luck to him if he's got a good contract in Europe. I always thought his skating might hold him back from the top leagues which is one reason I thought he'd be back. Let's see where he ends up.

moggy#9

OK fair enough, good luck to him if he's got a good contract in Europe. I always thought his skating might hold him back from the top leagues which is one reason I thought he'd be back. Let's see where he ends up.
I'm personally very happy with a one for one swap of jardine for register, if that's what's happening.

E.D.S.

I'm personally very happy with a one for one swap of jardine for register, if that's what's happening.
Are they the same type of player though or would you expect another D man to quarterback the power play and offence? Was Jardine that kind of player? I can remember him growing into being a Devil and really looking like a strong D man but I can't recall his 'quarterback' type role. Did he do this?

Are they the same type of player though or would you expect another D man to quarterback the power play and offence? Was Jardine that kind of player? I can remember him growing into being a Devil and really looking like a strong D man but I can't recall his 'quarterback' type role. Did he do this?
He did for the swamp rabbits

Devils86

Whilst I would be keen to see Jardine return (he got better as a Devil and has improved leaps and bounds since he left by all accounts) he's not a replacement for Register - or shouldn't be! No way Jardine has the calmness and ability to come out with the puck so often that Matt did from the corners or when up against the better forwards in the league. Jardine AND Register, fine. Not instead of, for me.

Hope that rumours are wrong and that we get Matt back

I too hope Matt Register is back,
crucial and calmness to our D
pivotal to our PP
When he is in position on the point, I notice Two things, the opposition do not know what he will do next and our Forwards know exactly what he is to do, which is the essence of a QB in Football

Wannabe2

I also would love to see Register back, he is pure class. But if he retires or wants to stay in Nth AMERICA that would be a shame.

jenks33

Register is clearly a good offensive Dman at this level but to be honest if Crawford and Jardine have signed I can’t say I’ll be worried about our Points production from defence next season.
Jardine registered 44 points in the ECHL in 20/21 and went on to play in two very good European leagues last season.
Crawford amassed 94 points in the past 2 seasons!
If those two are on our D next season we’ll be fine.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

Since when has the Devils recruitment requirement been for a like for like replacement, bit nieve, you don’t build a new team based on previous players attribute’s.

jenks33

So it looks like Crawford, Brittain and Jardine are probable signings. Blake Thompson is another one that looks like he might sign. What about Budish? His name was linked about a month ago but I’ve heard nothing since. Anyone heard anything more about Budish? Any other names in the mix?

Gavevs88

I've heard Register messed us around and couldn't decide so we told him to sod off. Jardine is back though supposedly from a very good source, so that's good news.

BostonBart22

I've heard Register messed us around and couldn't decide so we told him to sod off. Jardine is back though supposedly from a very good source, so that's good news.
Shame that , he gave it his all last season playing some unreal minutes, especially his age, if he messed us around it's none of our business, we may have messed him around who knows , good luck to him and we move on, pretty sure Thompson or Crawford as rumoured are top replacements for him .