Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2022/23

The_Stick_

Baffled. What exactly is personal best business? What ice facilities do we have that Belfast does not?
Belfast have 2 Ice rinks, the SSE and the Dundonald ice bowl, availability is sparse in both and he isn’t able to grow his buisness without those facilities. Whereas we have surrounding areas which could be beneficial. In addition, Raine runs a business called Personal Best which focuses on sports development and sports wear. It’s a rumour I have heard and decided to share, which i very much hope comes true.

jenks33

I have heard Kevin Raine to Cardiff, He’s going to be on slightly more money but his main motivation coming over here is to develop his personal best business. Belfast doesn’t have the ice facilities so it hasn’t been able to take off as Raine had wanted too
If there’s anything in that rumour I don’t like the idea to be honest. Not because I don’t rate Raine, I think he’s a good player but he’s a Giant. He’s been there for 5 years and I wouldn’t want us to recruit him just so it helps his business…

I always struggled to take to Finnerty and Riley when they played for the Devils. Not because I didn’t admire both players. I thought they both played their hearts out for the Devils, particularly Finnerty. But Finner was always a Steeler on loan to the Devils and Blair was always a Giant on loan to the Devils. It would be the same with Raine for me.

I’d much prefer a defenceman that’s new to the league. Or returning Devils - Fournier, Blood, Jardine etc.

Last edited:

Devil94

I have heard Kevin Raine to Cardiff, He’s going to be on slightly more money but his main motivation coming over here is to develop his personal best business. Belfast doesn’t have the ice facilities so it hasn’t been able to take off as Raine had wanted too
If all of that is true, I'd be slightly concerned that the motivation for the move would be for reasons outside of hockey, and not to play for the Devils. There's plenty of players out there who would love to play for us.
I'm sure he would do a great job on the ice but it would be niggling in the back of my mind.

ASHIPP

Bizarre rumour. Thought the Devils were a professional hockey club recruiting committed players to a competitive team....not helping them with their post hockey retirement plans. This is a spoof!

moggy#9

If there’s anything in that rumour I don’t like the idea to be honest. Not because I don’t rate Raine, I think he’s a good player but he’s a Giant. He’s been there for 5 years and I wouldn’t want us to recruit him just so it helps his business…

I always struggled to take to Finnerty and Riley when they played for the Devils. Not because I didn’t admire both players. I thought they both played their hearts out for the Devils, particularly Finnerty. But Finner was always a Steeler on loan to the Devils and Blair was always a Giant on loan to the Devils. It would be the same with Raine for me.

I’d much prefer a defenceman that’s new to the league. Or returning Devils - Fournier, Blood, Jardine etc.
I'd agree. I was never terribly impressed by Riley's stint as a devil. I want players who will go through walls for the team.

Belfast have 2 Ice rinks, the SSE and the Dundonald ice bowl, availability is sparse in both and he isn’t able to grow his buisness without those facilities. Whereas we have surrounding areas which could be beneficial. In addition, Raine runs a business called Personal Best which focuses on sports development and sports wear. It’s a rumour I have heard and decided to share, which i very much hope comes true.
‘Personal Best’ isn’t a hockey school anymore, it’s just a sports wear brand.
And apparently he and his missus were in the SSE the other day to discuss selling his merch at Giants games.
So very unlikely Raine is coming to Cardiff.

Samael

Bizarre rumour. Thought the Devils were a professional hockey club recruiting committed players to a competitive team....not helping them with their post hockey retirement plans. This is a spoof!
You say that, but how many aging players have been tempted to Cardiff on the promise of a university course. I don't think this rumour is as bizarre as you think it is. I've often thought some of our recruitment has been a 'jobs for the boys' situation.

At least with the gassing of BOC we have proven we can release players who are liabilities, which wasn't a thing during the Lord regime, so if Raine is signed and turns out to be coasting, get rid l say.

moggy#9

You say that, but how many aging players have been tempted to Cardiff on the promise of a university course. I don't think this rumour is as bizarre as you think it is. I've often thought some of our recruitment has been a 'jobs for the boys' situation.

At least with the gassing of BOC we have proven we can release players who are liabilities, which wasn't a thing during the Lord regime, so if Raine is signed and turns out to be coasting, get rid l say.
But several of the other clubs (iirc including Belfast) offer the university option. Raine would seem to be a bit off an odd one. It'd certainly wind up the more disagreeable element of the Belfast fanbase.

Samael

But several of the other clubs (iirc including Belfast) offer the university option. Raine would seem to be a bit off an odd one. It'd certainly wind up the more disagreeable element of the Belfast fanbase.
I agree, we certainly aren't the only club that uses uni places to tempt players. I just don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that a player would come here to concentrate on off ice activities and playing is secondary. I'm not going to name names but I'm sure you can think of a few in the last few years who, shall we say it, were stealing a living in a Devils Jersey.

I don't think this Raine rumour is true anyway after what Ryan has said but if it was happening for reasons stated above l wouldn't be surprised either.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

I wish people would understand professional sports isn’t a loyalty club, they go to the place that offers the best package. A player wanting to come to the EIHL may contact several clubs, cherry pick the best, obviously he will play the best he can as he’s already looking to increase next yrs offer or move on……….it’s that simple.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #157
And yet there is plenty of evidence that this isn't the case for all players.

Heck previous coaches have admitted waving big money at some of our previous players and never being able to entice them away, Voth immediately springs to mind and I'm sure Kelman mentioned a few other players when he and the new owners first took over and the recorded and readily available first fans event took place.

Obviously that isn't the case for all, but you claiming it is the case for all is equally as false.

"It's that simple."

Steve King says that there are 3 non-negotiables for any prospective Devil. They are Culture, Work ethic and Passion!
This Kevin Raine rumour doesn’t fulfill any of the above!

Mazzoak

And yet there is plenty of evidence that this isn't the case for all players.

Heck previous coaches have admitted waving big money at some of our previous players and never being able to entice them away, Voth immediately springs to mind and I'm sure Kelman mentioned a few other players when he and the new owners first took over and the recorded and readily available first fans event took place.

Obviously that isn't the case for all, but you claiming it is the case for all is equally as false.

"It's that simple."
Thats why l didn’t single out monetary value, increasing next seasons offer & package was the best terminology l could think of to cover a range of things. As any employee being in an organisation that is rewarding and enjoyable & obviously that means retaining their worth for the coach and club. Voth as you mentioned or those others didn’t perform Todd wouldn’t have kept out of loyalty.

It really is that simple.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #160
I wish people would understand professional sports isn’t a loyalty club, they go to the place that offers the best package. A player wanting to come to the EIHL may contact several clubs, cherry pick the best, obviously he will play the best he can as he’s already looking to increase next yrs offer or move on……….it’s that simple.
Thats why l didn’t single out monetary value, increasing next seasons offer & package was the best terminology l could think of to cover a range of things. As any employee being in an organisation that is rewarding and enjoyable & obviously that means retaining their worth for the coach and club. Voth as you mentioned or those others didn’t perform Todd wouldn’t have kept out of loyalty.

It really is that simple.
Your first post made absolutely no mention of a club being loyal to a player.

You said "he's already looking to increase next yrs offer or move on" and I still don't think that is correct.

Where do you think all the extra spending power is coming from each year? It's not like over the Lord years we lost our players and downgraded others, although from your previous posts you possibly think that.

Infact, even as I type this reply I'm confused about where your post is heading or supposed to be about so I'm just going to stop and give up.