Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2022/23

I like the look of your forwards. Not sure that 3rd line would be happy with a big drop in icetime tho, Particularly Coughler. I also think Brandt will be back
The thing is that under 'my regime' there isn’t a 2nd or 3rd line as they are all of a similar quality so I’d be looking for a more equal split for the TOI and hopefully fresher legs for our speedsters!

To be honest, those lines would bust the budget massively. Also I think that we do need a proper enforcer to give some protection to the smaller players.
One of our bigger bodied wingers would ideally fill the tough guy role.
As to the 'budget busting', I’m counting on SK &TK to work a couple of miracles on recruitment but ultimately who knows what the budget will be?
The only thing we know for sure is that Sheffield will push the envelope again as they are desperate to win something…….anything really!!

Rumour has it that Tony Smith has been entering those daytime TV word search competitions in the hope that he can claim to be a winner!

Last edited:

OJLloyd

I think we will look something like (if we base this on rumours that appear to be pretty solid):

Import - Martin - Import
Cox - Coughler - Sandford
Import - Dixon - Crandall
Waller - Davies - Duggan

With the forwards, I really wouldn’t be surprised if we go with Waller on the third line, with Brandt on the fourth. A spare is vital I think, but budget and squad size will play a big part.

I also suspect one of those three import slots will be Joey Haddad. His puck retention, battling in the boards etc would work lovely.

Fournier - Richie
Register - Import
Batch - Louis

Again, a seventh would be ideal, and I’d love it to be Mosey who can cover anywhere, has speed, and seems to be a good dressing room guy.

How he’d like being shifted all over the place I don’t know, but I doubt there’d be many weeks where we have a healthy scratch based on the past seasons injuries.

Bowns - Kozun

It seems that Bownsy is coming back to the UK at the moment. Seeing as how Carruth has gone, I’d like to see Ben come back.

As side notes, I can see Myers coming back on the fourth line, with Ben Davies switching to wing and Waller moving up to the third. We struggled massively on face offs in the bottom two lines, and if Myers is anything he is good at face offs.

moggy#9

I think we will look something like (if we base this on rumours that appear to be pretty solid):

Import - Martin - Import
Cox - Coughler - Sandford
Import - Dixon - Crandall
Waller - Davies - Duggan

With the forwards, I really wouldn’t be surprised if we go with Waller on the third line, with Brandt on the fourth. A spare is vital I think, but budget and squad size will play a big part.

I also suspect one of those three import slots will be Joey Haddad. His puck retention, battling in the boards etc would work lovely.

Fournier - Richie
Register - Import
Batch - Louis

Again, a seventh would be ideal, and I’d love it to be Mosey who can cover anywhere, has speed, and seems to be a good dressing room guy.

How he’d like being shifted all over the place I don’t know, but I doubt there’d be many weeks where we have a healthy scratch based on the past seasons injuries.

Bowns - Kozun

It seems that Bownsy is coming back to the UK at the moment. Seeing as how Carruth has gone, I’d like to see Ben come back.

As side notes, I can see Myers coming back on the fourth line, with Ben Davies switching to wing and Waller moving up to the third. We struggled massively on face offs in the bottom two lines, and if Myers is anything he is good at face offs.
I don't want to sound rude, but I don't get the idea of having players like Haddad and Myers back. Haddad hasn't played anywhere for the last year, and Myers is imo more likely to drop down a level end up in Bristol. Neither is going to be the player you remember. The same applies to Joey Martin. A good player certainly, but not necessarily what you remember.

I get that in general terms we need those sorts of players, but we need younger players. I'd quite happily have mosey back though.

Devil94

For what it’s worth, here’s my take on what our forward line up should look like.

New Imp. - New Imp. - New Imp
Crandall - Martin. - Reid
Cox - Coughler - Sanford
Waller. - Davies. - Duggan

A complete new '1st line' complete with genuine 1st line centre and a pair of bigger body wIngers.

Our defence something like this

New Imp. - New Imp
Reggie. - Ritchie
Batch. - Louis

Whether one of the above is Fournier is looking increasingly unlikely as previously stated but an
ex NHLer of the ilk of Strachan, Morisson or Mikkelson would be extremely welcome.

If there’s room for a 10th forward then Brandt is nailed on.
All this obviously must fit within the budget but that’s for Steve & Todd to worry about and for the likes of us to dream about!!
I mean that would lovely but I don't think it will be possible financially. Finding a physical big body who's good enough to play on the 1st won't be an easy task, as well as a first line center. Plus the likes of CCS would be more valuable if they come back for a second year. Agree about a like for like Mikkelson replacement, should be a priority for us.

CCS I would be happy with our first. Depends who are the wIngers with Joey I suppose. And then a more defensive centerman, good at face offs, along with a big bodied winger to go with Waller.

Sanford Coughler Cox
Imp (Crandall?) Martin Imp (Reid?)
Waller Imp Imp
Brandt Davies Duggan

Hockeymad

Martin on first line? Not for me and that signing would be a crowd pleaser not a step forward.
Well I’m sorry I don’t agree!
You think The legend of joey Martin not being able to play on the top line?

Why because he’s not been here a few seasons?

There’s no other reason surely?

I would have j Martin back on that top line over any of our players.

And if I’m proven wrong I will admit it.

But there is no way you can say no to him,

Again my opinion but wow how quick your memory has forgotten the GOAT

august04 2.0

Martin on first line? Not for me and that signing would be a crowd pleaser not a step forward.
I just don’t get the negativity surrounding the potential re-signing of Joey Martin. The guy has been playing at a much higher standard than the EIHL this past two years, is still only 33 and would be head and shoulders above most players in the EIHL in terms of ability. First line? Why not? A crowd pleaser and a significant improvement on last year in my opinion.

august04 2.0

I don't want to sound rude, but I don't get the idea of having players like Haddad and Myers back. Haddad hasn't played anywhere for the last year, and Myers is imo more likely to drop down a level end up in Bristol. Neither is going to be the player you remember. The same applies to Joey Martin. A good player certainly, but not necessarily what you remember.

I get that in general terms we need those sorts of players, but we need younger players. I'd quite happily have mosey back though.
You seem to be forgetting that the league is nowhere near what it used to be when Joey Martin last played here. And how do you know he’s not the same player? He’s only 33 still and as I mentioned in my previous post, he’s played at a much higher level this past 2 years than this years EIHL. If he’s available, I want him back in Cardiff. It’s a no brainer.

Kevlar68

My reasons for Martin not on first line or re-signing are these:

Do we really think that if we got Lords team all back together again they would storm the league? No they wouldn't, so why bringing individuals back do we think it will help the cause.
Teams always have to move on at some point and evolve, that's common sense. We can't keep on bringing up tried and tested players year after year as they become older year after year.
Our memories of them when here may not be the same player they are now. I see Mike Macwilliam as he was in the Superleague but in reality he's retired.
All previous Devils will be come 2022/23 3 seasons down the road, 2 seasons off the pace, 2 seasons worth of strains, niggles and injuries, 2 seasons older, 2 seasons less hunger.
If we keep going back to outstanding players of their day we will never progress and be left behind as forward is the only way.
If Martin were to re-sign then maybe a lower line, yes he was GOAT when here but time has in reality moved on.
We've had amazing talented players but all have been replaced at some point and we've found new icons of our team so why go back?
Without moving on we may have never found the 2 joeys, Hotham, Fournier so without moving on they may never have been found.

We'll all have our opinions on players and teams but mine with any team i have supported is move on, build bigger and better than previous, never go back.

Hockeymad

Do we really think that if we got Lords team all back together again they would storm the league? No they wouldn't, so why bringing individuals back do we think it will help the cause.
Teams always have to move on at some point and evolve, that's common sense. We can't keep on bringing up tried and tested players year after year as they become older year after year.
Our memories of them when here may not be the same player they are now. I see Mike Macwilliam as he was in the Superleague but in reality he's retired.
All previous Devils will be come 2022/23 3 seasons down the road, 2 seasons off the pace, 2 seasons worth of strains, niggles and injuries, 2 seasons older, 2 seasons less hunger.
If we keep going back to outstanding players of their day we will never progress and be left behind as forward is the only way.
If Martin were to re-sign then maybe a lower line, yes he was GOAT when here but time has in reality moved on.
We've had amazing talented players but all have been replaced at some point and we've found new icons of our team so why go back?
Without moving on we may have never found the 2 joeys, Hotham, Fournier so without moving on they may never have been found.

We'll all have our opinions on players and teams but mine with any team i have supported is move on, build bigger and better than previous, never go back.
But we haven’t built bigger and better have we?

Honestly speechless that people wouldn’t want Martin back but would want bowns blood jardine etc.

august04 2.0

Nobody is talking about bringing Lords team back together. We're debating bringing back probably the best Devils player of the new era, a guy who is far from past it at just 33 and who has played at a much higher level for the past two years than the current Devils team. You bring up the comparison with MacWilliam, that’s just ludicrous. Joey Martin, if he’s fully fit still, has at least 3 good years left in him, possibly more if he’s looked after himself. 2 seasons off the pace? Are you seriously telling me that the Norwegian league and EBEL (or whatever it’s called now) are not stronger leagues than the EIHL?! Come on, one thing he wouldn’t be is off the pace unless of course he’s had serious injuries that I’m not aware of this past 2 years. If he came back, I don’t expect to see a lack of hunger and desire either. I just hope we get him here and he can then prove the doubters like yourself, wrong.

Devil94

In some instances I think you have a point. Myers and Haddad for example. But Martin is different. Its not like he's too old or been in obscurity for 2 years. He's been playing at a higher level than here.
And, similar to what you said with Bowns, I don't know how you can say he's 2 years less hungry. What does that even mean. I think the opposite will be true, that as a former captain and legend of the Devils, he will be as hungry as ever to bring the new era of Devils the levels of success he experienced, and he knows exactly how to do that.

Kevlar68

I was questioning about lords team, no one has said about bringing the whole team back.

Players can become less hungry for success with the same team, players of quality like a challenge so why go backwards themselves.
You see players through all teams in all sports who have been in successful teams, winning trophies but move as they want new challenges even though they could still win trophies with the team they are already with.
Haddad, Martin, Bowns etc have won it with Devils, the challenge for them and the hunger is to win with new teams, better quality teams, hence moving to the teams they're with now.

My comparison with Macwilliams isn't ludicrous, it's about peoples perceptions. As i said i still see the Superleague Macwilliams but he's not that guy. We see the Martin of GOAT even though he is not over the hill yet he isn't that player, still a great player don't get me wrong but he won't be that player.

Look at Graz stats 42 games, 9 goals, 17 ast, yes it's its a higher level of league but you'd expect more from a player of his class

As i have said many times before for me and my opinion have to move forward. I want us to find the next Martin, Fournier, Hotham and i'm sure they're out there somewhere but we have to move on to find them.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

I would have Martin back at the speed of a heartbeat, the man is pure class no one wants to go back but Joeys signing wouldn’t be a step back, far from it plus the man has a enormous love for Cardiff, also he was a legend here not a run of the mill player. If we are fortunate to get Joey back, then bring it on I say.

ASHIPP

When Joey Martin yet again wins League Forward of the Year and League Player of the Year at the end of next season, perhaps then is a good time to debate how good he is?! ;)

Simply cannot compare his role and performance in Graz (a team with a bigger roster, in a higher league)with his time at the Devils. In Graz he was not on the 1st line. He therefore would have had less shifts. He has still produced reasonable points.

Having GOAT return to the Devils would be so much more than scoring points. He was the face of the Club and the League for 6 years. An All Star for 6 years. Call it 'crowd pleasing' if you like but we know what we are getting. The Real Deal.

Our League was a much poorer standard last season than previous years....and some people seriously think Joey wouldn't be good enough?!!

Last edited:

Mazzoak

Going by what i've read on here over the past few weeks, are these the forward lines that the majority want next season then?

Reid - Martin - Crandall

Cox - Coughler - Sanford

Waller - New Import - New Import

Brandt - Davies - Duggan

I'm not doubting the talent on those top two lines but i still think it's missing a bit of physicality. I'm concerned they will just get bullied at times 5 on 5. What does everybody else think?
For me there’s 3 players in that that can and should be replaced. I’m not going to mention who as it’s not worth bickering with “experts” so I’m keeping it simple. Just remember pre Christmas, you won’t win the league by then, you can certainly lose it. Which means if you plan properly you can certainly take advantage & make the run in easier.

august04 2.0

My comparison with Macwilliams isn't ludicrous, it's about peoples perceptions. As i said i still see the Superleague Macwilliams but he's not that guy. We see the Martin of GOAT even though he is not over the hill yet he isn't that player, still a great player don't get me wrong but he won't be that player.

Look at Graz stats 42 games, 9 goals, 17 ast, yes it's its a higher level of league but you'd expect more from a player of his class
Oh it is ludicrous. MacWilliam is 55 and retired 23 years ago! Martin is 33, has played in better leagues this past 2 years and would still be a match winner in the EIHL. At least you concede that he’s still a great player - which makes it even stranger that you wouldn’t want him back.
And his Graz stats are OK considering he wasn't on the first line, possibly not on the PP either.