Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2022/23

Ejercito Rojas

I've always felt that Sheffield consider spending caps to be for the little people. If true it makes fox look like a complete Muppet when it comes to recruitment. I mean, how much were they paying to have the stay puft marshmallow man in goal?
I heard that he wasn’t on big money, it was the apartment above the Greggs bakery that swung it!!

Last edited:

T10P

It will be interesting to see. Ryan Finnerty on Wally's podcast mentioned the fact that Sheffield's budget was "double the size of Belfasts", now whilst I would always take these things with a pinch of salt (and if that's the case then the Steelers' recruitment must be questioned), it could be the case that they can outbid other sides if needed.
Weren’t Steelers after Regi last season too? Seems like once a player is rumoured to be coming to the UK it pricks the ears of some other clubs.

rolf

Not a fan of Blood’s defensive qualities then?
I didn't say that at all. My point was that 3 offensive minded, rushing D men might be too much in one team all at the same time. How many on this forum enjoys an odd man rush from the opposition? Maybe I am just out of date but I prefer big stay at home D men to stop em on our blue line as opposed to rushing back to disperse them in our end zone.

jenks33

I didn't say that at all. My point was that 3 offensive minded, rushing D men might be too much in one team all at the same time. How many on this forum enjoys an odd man rush from the opposition? Maybe I am just out of date but I prefer big stay at home D men to stop em on our blue line as opposed to rushing back to disperse them in our end zone.
Blood’s not an offensive minded defenceman tho right? He’s put up decent points in the last few years (never scored 20 points in a season mind you) but coming through the ranks he was a defensive defenceman. If we had the money I think the defence listed below would be very good. We won’t have that defence next season tho.

Fournier - Blood

Register - Richardson

Louis - Batch

moggy#9

Ben blood is a shut down defenceman, not offensive. Have a look at his elite prospects stats to illustrate that.

jenks33

Ben blood is a shut down defenceman, not offensive. Have a look at his elite prospects stats to illustrate that.
Correct. He would probably get decent points if he spent a season at this level because he would play in situations that he doesn’t usually play in. He’s a shut down defenceman though.

Hockeymad

Blood’s not an offensive minded defenceman tho right? He’s put up decent points in the last few years (never scored 20 points in a season mind you) but coming through the ranks he was a defensive defenceman. If we had the money I think the defence listed below would be very good. We won’t have that defence next season tho.

Fournier - Blood

Register - Richardson

Louis - Batch
Now I would love that as my d but I doubt it lol

Diablo3

I hope big Lou is back, tbh I think something has to be announced before the season ticket cut off date to persuade any waverers

ASHIPP

Big Lou is one of the most well loved Devils in recent years. Look at the number of photos he has taken with the fans pre game! And he is fiercely loyal to our Club. His heart felt letter during lockdown thanking the Club, the fans , his sponsors said it all.

His on ice partnership with Batchy is rock solid. They have both had an excellent season. Lou has a few more seasons yet. Surely?

rolf

Fournier - Blood

Register - Richardson

Louis - Batch
I have a recollection of him pushing forward when he played (albeit briefly) for the Devils and that is why I posted that opinion. Happy to be corrected of course and even happier if he returns. Not about to bad mouth any player on here.

Devil94

Not a rumour, but I guess I'm at that stage looking at players who could potentially come sign for us, due to links, friendships etc.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/11913/chad-costello

I noticed his ridiculous stats a few years ago, would be a top end signing for sure. He's on the older side now so the UK might be an option for him, but he played a full East Coast season this year so fitness not an issue. He played with Joey Martin in Norway and also Matt Register in Allen.

Seeing those numbers in the ECHL, it does make you wonder why he didn't get called up. What was it that held him back. But then he goes to the DEL and puts silly numbers up there too.

RedDevil17

Not a rumour, but I guess I'm at that stage looking at players who could potentially come sign for us, due to links, friendships etc.

I noticed his ridiculous stats a few years ago, would be a top end signing for sure. He's on the older side now so the UK might be an option for him, but he played a full East Coast season this year so fitness not an issue. He played with Joey Martin in Norway and also Matt Register in Allen.

Seeing those numbers in the ECHL, it does make you wonder why he didn't get called up. What was it that held him back. But then he goes to the DEL and puts silly numbers up there too.
Would definitely take him over Sanford

kingmo19.1

Reason he never got called up …. 5,9” and 185ib !

Devil94

Reason he never got called up …. 5,9” and 185ib !
That alone is not a reason to not be given a fair shot. The top scorer in the AHL right now is 5'10 and 183lbs. The 2nd top scorer in the AHL is 5'8 and 165lbs. The 4th top scorer is 5'9 and 190lbs..... do I need to go on? Plus he was very successful in the DEL which you could argue is the most physical of European leagues.

Mazzoak

That alone is not a reason to not be given a fair shot. The top scorer in the AHL right now is 5'10 and 183lbs. The 2nd top scorer in the AHL is 5'8 and 165lbs. The 4th top scorer is 5'9 and 190lbs..... do I need to go on? Plus he was very successful in the DEL which you could argue is the most physical of European leagues.
He did 3 yrs in the AHL for 2010 to 2013 scored 3 goals and 14 assists in 40 games. That maybe a reason.