Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2019/20

Wannabe2

Rolf?

But yes I’m right. However, where was the “Pure joy” in your answer, “happy hockey days”, “Owners are wonderful”, “love you Steve x”, “see you in beautiful Cardiff, Steve where I’ll harass you and tell everyone we’re mates”?
We’re missing your cringefest posts so much.
Whatever you say Rolf.

august04

I hope we kick Mountfield's collective ass ! Come on U Devils !!!
We have a chance. Panthers beat them home and away I think in their last CHL campaign. Take out Frölunda as that’s unlikely to say the least but I think we can get some results or at least be very competitive against Mountfield and Graz99ers.

I find it strange that some are making player assessments this early, but their right and opinion to do so.
People who do, have they trust in Lordo ? after all he has made those signings / re-signings.
Lordo is a highly performing coach who could easily walk into an AHL team as a minimum,
lets have a bit more respect for his judgement, it hasn't done us any harm since he has arrived.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: seriously????? right up there with the classic quote from last season about being able to compete with NHL side

tim78

I'm presuming the above quote probably based on the Bern v New Jersey 1 game.

I think Lord would make the AHL, DEL, Liga as a coach (language barriers obvious concern for certain leagues).

Gazza272

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: seriously????? right up there with the classic quote from last season about being able to compete with NHL side

You do know Lord has been a Video analysis coach at AHL level before though right? During the year he was injured. He did the eye in the sky, and outlined practice plans for players returning from injury.

And Mark Bernard went straight from Basingstoke to an assistant GM job in the AHL?

now i'm not suggesting I do think Lord is AHL head coach material yet, but he certainly has the chops and wherewithal to go to that level if someone was willing to take a chance on him.

jenks33

You do know Lord has been a Video analysis coach at AHL level before though right? During the year he was injured. He did the eye in the sky, and outlined practice plans for players returning from injury.

And Mark Bernard went straight from Basingstoke to an assistant GM job in the AHL?

now i'm not suggesting I do think Lord is AHL head coach material yet, but he certainly has the chops and wherewithal to go to that level if someone was willing to take a chance on him.
It’s the way Martynwo phrased his post though. By saying Lordo “could easily walk into an AHL job as a minimum” suggests he should be on the radar of some NHL teams too. Let’s be honest if a Belfast fan said that about Keefe I’d be rolling my eyes too

Gazza272

It’s the way Martynwo phrased his post though. By saying Lordo “could easily walk into an AHL job as a minimum” suggests he should be on the radar of some NHL teams too. Let’s be honest if a Belfast fan said that about Keefe I’d be rolling my eyes too
Depends what you mean by AHL Job I suppose, does Lord have the ability to contribute to an AHL coaching staff now? given he's done it before? I'd say so.

Head coach of course is a different kettle of Fish, as I said in my previous post, Mark Bernard went from GM and head coach of a Basingstoke team that finished bottom in a very poor EIHL, straight into an Assistant GM job at Rockford in the AHL. I don't really see the difference in him doing that in Lord, or indeed Keefe being given a shot (I'm sure his brother would give him a good reference)

While the EIHL is in world hockey terms not the best standard compared with North America, coaches here do everything. They learn lots of skills that they can transfer, they are doing the player analysis, the scouting, the recruiting, the visa admin, all of the practices, it's a crash course in all sorts of coaching. Heck I think Pacha sells the 50/50 tickets in Dundee!

I'd agree i'd be surprised to see Lord given a shot, but the mocking of the statement was a little bit much from across the sea. There's nothing to be ashamed of in bigging up the skills of our own.

jenks33

Depends what you mean by AHL Job I suppose, does Lord have the ability to contribute to an AHL coaching staff now? given he's done it before? I'd say so.

Head coach of course is a different kettle of Fish, as I said in my previous post, Mark Bernard went from GM and head coach of a Basingstoke team that finished bottom in a very poor EIHL, straight into an Assistant GM job at Rockford in the AHL. I don't really see the difference in him doing that in Lord, or indeed Keefe being given a shot (I'm sure his brother would give him a good reference)

While the EIHL is in world hockey terms not the best standard compared with North America, coaches here do everything. They learn lots of skills that they can transfer, they are doing the player analysis, the scouting, the recruiting, the visa admin, all of the practices, it's a crash course in all sorts of coaching. Heck I think Pacha sells the 50/50 tickets in Dundee!

I'd agree i'd be surprised to see Lord given a shot, but the mocking of the statement was a little bit much from across the sea. There's nothing to be ashamed of in bigging up the skills of our own.
Fair point. If we’re talking about joining an AHL coaching staff then that’s a different story. I don’t think it would be a huge surprise to see Lord or Keefe join an AHL coaching set up in some capacity. I might be wrong but I think Martynwo was suggesting he could walk into an AHL team (or possibly NHL team) as head coach. I might be wrong tho

Mazzoak

I find it strange that some are making player assessments this early, but their right and opinion to do so.
People who do, have they trust in Lordo ? after all he has made those signings / re-signings.
Lordo is a highly performing coach who could easily walk into an AHL team as a minimum,
lets have a bit more respect for his judgement, it hasn't done us any harm since he has arrived.
Oh dear.

Winning a handful of trophies in the EIHL will only get Lord a bigger contract, in the EIHL. You surely are aware the Devils are made up of experienced imports with proven stats at higher levels and require little in the way of coaching.
Now if Lord went and recruited several college guys, turned them all in Sidney Crosby’s or took a bunch of averagely talented, experienced players and won the CHL a couple of times, people may just may start to get interested at that level.

Devilsatw

If Corey neilson and pete Russell can get jobs in Germany then Lordo with the right contacts can definately get an ahl role..
what he done the first season in charge was amazing. He signed up 12 players with in 6 weeks of pre season and turned us in to champions

Wannabe2

I didn’t mean Lordo was no where hear the AHL, I meant Del2 is no where near the AHL, Neilson, Russell, and others wouldn’t be entertained in that league.

Mazzoak

Was he any good at it though.

OJLloyd

I have a lot of faith in Lordo. You can certainly count on one hand his big mistakes since he took over as head coach 5 years ago, which is incredible really. Most coaches make half a dozen big errors every season but Lordo's big errors are very rare. But even the best make mistakes (i.e. Drew Paris)
Look at arguably the best football coach in history - Alex Ferguson. Don't you think he dropped a few clangers over the years? ( For the football fans out there I give you Eric Djemba-Djemba and Kleberson). In my opinion you can question one or two decisions whilst still having faith in a manager.
I’ll have you know that Eric Djemba-Djemba is a legend. I’ll have no bad words said against him.

Of course, I’m not a United fan, so that might be why I enjoyed that so much. But, still, a legend I say!

Valid question... Was he any good at it? Do you know which club he was attached to?

Mazzoak

Valid question... Was he any good at it? Do you know which club he was attached to?
Give me a few minutes to Google it. Whilst l do, you do know he’s currently the coach at Cardiff, in the EIHL.

Gazza272

Well he did it for an entire season, and the role of creating practice for the injured players was bestowed to him after the video analysis role started, so Yes he was good at it.

In fact, Oklahoma had thier highest ever finish the year he was assistant coach there, finishing 1st in the Western conference. Winning their only division championship.