Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2019/20

Rich Best

I was waiting for a response like this. With nothing to back it up. First of all I’m happy Haddad is back, I love him. My argument is we need a spare import because I’m not convinced his body can handle a 80 game season ( all competitions)

Pope on the other hand. I want him to have a great season and I’ve got no issues with fans that are happy to give him a second chance. My issue has been with fans that are adamant we haven’t got anything to worry about as far as our roster is concerned.

Pope has scored in 1 of his last 28 games for the devils. Care to comment on that? Saying “ he gives 100%” is BS I’m afraid. I could give 100% but it doesn’t mean I’m up to the job.
Waiting. Lol that's a bit sad.

I agree with Malko. Give Pope and Haddad a chance. Pope more or less won us the league 2 years ago with his form on the run in, and was instrumental in our playoffs win last year.

Let's just give them a chance. Give them 3 months (at least) and let's discuss again then! This isn't really a pre-season discussion topic that we should focus on IMO but everyone entitled to their opinions.

jenks33

Waiting. Lol that's a bit sad.

I agree with Malko. Give Pope and Haddad a chance. Pope more or less won us the league 2 years ago with his form on the run in, and was instrumental in our playoffs win last year.

Let's just give them a chance. Give them 3 months (at least) and let's discuss again then! This isn't really a pre-season discussion topic that we should focus on IMO but everyone entitled to their opinions.
Laughing out loud are you Dickie? Not that funny was it?

I’m not so harsh to be basing Pope’s struggles on the first 4 matches of pre season. As I’ve previously stated I like to back it up if I’m going to criticise a player. Pope has now scored in 1 of his last 30 matches for the devils. He scored 14 goals last year and 9 of those came against the bottom 3. Pope played in 30 matches against the top 5 teams ( obviously excluding us) and scored 4 goals. It’s going to be fine margins this season and at the moment we’ve got a top 6 forward who’s form over a lengthy period of time has been a concern.

And by the way, I don’t mind Pope being here. Lordo offered him a 2 year deal and he seems to have worked hard over the summer so let’s see what he’s got. My issue is not having a spare import. If Haddad is as injury prone as he’s been for the past 2 years and if Pope doesn’t get out of his rut then we could be in trouble.

Bottom line tho. I want Pope to succeed! I’m a devils fan and I want our players performing well

jenks33

1 goal in 30?? And he’s a top 6 forward??

That’s piss poor and no one can defend it.
To be fair 2 goals in 30 but both in the same match, a 9-1 demolition of a depleted MK side. Not great though is it.

It’s nothing personal. I just want us to be the best we can be and I’m not sure we are with Pope on our roster. My expectations in the BBT were incredibly low but we’ve been spoilt in the past 5 years and it probably is a bit of greediness on my part. If you support a wealthy club in any sport ( we are a wealthy club in British hockey terms) it’s only natural that expectations rise and there’s more scrutiny on signings.

Devilsatw

Is that why you tweeted him saying he should be on a 2 week notice Brian?
I replied to a comment on here as I didn’t know he only scored that amount of points in that many games.

Revealing a name on here is personal and if you have a problem inbox me!

And who’s Brian??

Rich Best

Laughing out loud are you Dickie? Not that funny was it?

I’m not so harsh to be basing Pope’s struggles on the first 4 matches of pre season. As I’ve previously stated I like to back it up if I’m going to criticise a player. Pope has now scored in 1 of his last 30 matches for the devils. He scored 14 goals last year and 9 of those came against the bottom 3. Pope played in 30 matches against the top 5 teams ( obviously excluding us) and scored 4 goals. It’s going to be fine margins this season and at the moment we’ve got a top 6 forward who’s form over a lengthy period of time has been a concern.

And by the way, I don’t mind Pope being here. Lordo offered him a 2 year deal and he seems to have worked hard over the summer so let’s see what he’s got. My issue is not having a spare import. If Haddad is as injury prone as he’s been for the past 2 years and if Pope doesn’t get out of his rut then we could be in trouble.

Bottom line tho. I want Pope to succeed! I’m a devils fan and I want our players performing well
Fair points but Pope got more points than Ulmer last season, and made some key contributions in the playoffs. Let's not forget that. I think / hope he will be back to his point per game or better production this season and hit 20+ goals, as well as being a physical presence.

Jonesy83

Fair points but Pope got more points than Ulmer last season, and made some key contributions in the playoffs. Let's not forget that. I think / hope he will be back to his point per game or better production this season and hit 20+ goals, as well as being a physical presence.
Pope had 58 points in 74 games (all competitions) last season.

Ulmer had 60 points in 68 games (all competitions) last season.

Also Ulmer doesn’t have a contract with us this season.

jenks33

Beat me to it Jonesy. It's probably not the best idea to compare Ulmer and Pope's stats from last season as Ulmer has been deemed surplus to requirements.

Rich I think we all agree with you on your second point. Let's hope Pope gets back to the points production we saw in his first season.

jenks33

I'm just a bit confused is this the Rumours and offseason nonsense thread or is it the BASH MATT POPE THREAD?? I get some people are not overly happy Matts back, but he is and he's playing for OUR team. To be honest it's getting boring and unnecessary give the guy a break!!
Calm down Mrs Pope. We all want your son to do well but we’re just passionate fans that want to see the best for our club

Wannabe2

Okay we have played 4 pre season games, won 2, and lost 2, one of those loses was against a very good European team, and the other loss away to a pretty good team losing in the last seconds, as well as playing without our main goal scorer. We have a squad that given time will produce, and a team that will entertain, so why the hell are we in week 2 knocking players, instead of getting behind the team we apparently all love. Last season was a great season, winning the play offs, and drawing level with the eventual league winners, at the moment no one can say we won’t win everything, and no one can say we will win everything, but one thing is for sure and that is that our team need us, not some of us all of us, the same as we need all of them. People will always have their favourites, and people will always have their not so favourites, but knocking players on a public forum 2 weeks into the season is classless, and if there’s one thing Devils fans were never known for its being classless. These lads need us to get behind them 100%, they have been told to expect us fans to be the extra man, and that’s exactly what we should be, the extra man. Players know when their form is dipping, it’s not something done intentionally, it’s the life of a athlete in any sport. So can we please do what we are supposed to be the best at, and that’s supporting our team whether they are on a high, or whether they are on a low, that is the true definition of caring. Don’t ever lose sight of the position this club is in, it could go as fast as it arrived. We are in a truly blessed position at the moment, enjoy the ride, it can go in a heartbeat, ask Durham, ask Edinburgh, and in a smaller way ask Sheffield. Hockey is back and it’s going to be a blast.
Happy Hockey Days.

BostonBart22

It was a toss up between ulmer and Benti who stayed.. Give pope a break its a new season for all we know he may have had personal probs last season, just look at his play this weekend gone more hits on sunday than prob last 10 games last season..

Jonesy83

It was a toss up between ulmer and Benti who stayed.. Give pope a break its a new season for all we know he may have had personal probs last season, just look at his play this weekend gone more hits on sunday than prob last 10 games last season..
Where in my comment have I said anything negative about Pope?

I was responding to a post about points scored between Pope & Ulmer. Stating that Pope scored more points than Ulmer last season which is incorrect.

RedDevil17

Pope reminds me of Mesut Ozil a little. On his game absolutely unplayable but some games especially against the bigger teams tends to struggle a little and appears slightly lazy. Ozil had a poor season last year as did Pope so I’m hoping fans are optimistic about Pope this year just like they are about Ozil on twitter and other social media. No need to bash the guy for his stats based on LAST season. It’s the past and we need to focus on the upcoming season. Hope he has a good year this season and if we see the pope from year 1 I’m happy. Go Devils

Last edited: