Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2019/20

jenks33

We've played 2 games pre-season, not every playing is going to be on top form yet?, as long as their fitness and form is there for start of CHL and league games then pre season has done its job for me anyways
If we don’t bring in a spare import forward and it’s down to finances then fair enough. At the end of the day we are still paying Mosey’s wages so money might be tight for another import. But if the money is there but we’re choosing to not sign a spare import then I’ll be disappointed about that. And this is why

I agree with you, we are only 2 games into pre season so in no way am I basing form and fitness on the 2 matches against Fehervar. What I’m talking about is trends that we saw last season and even the season before that.

First of all let’s talk about the elephant in the room when it comes to this seasons returnees - Matt Pope. And before I carry on let me say that I 100% hope that Pope has a great season and makes me look like a fool. This has got nothing to do with Matt Pope the person, I don’t agree with some of the comments he made in the offseason but if he’s performing on the ice I couldn’t give a damn what he says. And in no way do I agree with the abuse he’s received on social media.
I’ve given Pope a bit of stick about his performances in the second half of last season so I looked back at his stats to see if he struggled as much as I thought he did. To be honest the results were more brutal than I was expecting. In his last 28 games for the Devils in all competitions Matt Pope has scored in 1 game. Yes that’s ONE game! And that game was our penultimate league game of the season against MK. I found that stat astonishing. Since January the 20th Pope has scored in one match for the devils and that was against a team that was on its knees. Remember this is not Batch/Duggan/Rutkis this is a player that was re-signed for the 2018/19 season as a top 6 forward.
My main issue with the return of Pope is that he’s coming back because it’s the second year of a 2 year contract. Why on earth did we offer him a 2 year contract after his first year?! In my opinion there are 3 devils imports in the last 5 years that have merited a 2 year contract. Martin, Fournier and Hotham. For some reason we felt Pope deserved 2 years and that’s why he’s back. I appreciate people will say we could have cancelled his contract but Lordo isn’t a Thompson or a Barrasso, he’s as loyal as they come.

The other player is Haddad. I absolutely love Joey Haddad but in my opinion he’s now a player that you have to look after and maybe rest him every so often. How many games do we play now in all competitions? 80? I think Haddad’s body has shown that he cannot cope with that. It would be nice to have an option of a spare import for that reason.

I appreciate people will feel this post is too negative for this stage of the season and to be honest it probably is. But I’m tired of some fans criticising other fans for saying they’re not convinced that we are as strong as we could or should be. In my opinion it will come down to fine margins between us Belfast and Sheffield. My frustration at the moment is we are already running the risk of carrying one or two players before the season has even started. I’m very happy with our new signings but have we been too loyal with one or two?

Diablo3

We've played 2 games pre-season, not every playing is going to be on top form yet?, as long as their fitness and form is there for start of CHL and league games then pre season has done its job for me anyways
Totally agree, these pre season games are there just so we are match fit when the real games start. Lordo will be switching lines and tactics just to make sure the new guys know how we play. Having said that, I would still like us to take the Panthers apart.

Diablo3

Regarding Matt, I too hope he has a great season, I also noticed in the two pre season games so far, he has headed right for the dirty area looking to cause problems for their defence as often as he could. Which is something we didn't do often enough last season, long may it continue. I think he will be fine.

jenks33

Regarding Matt, I too hope he has a great season, I also noticed in the two pre season games so far, he has headed right for the dirty area looking to cause problems for their defence as often as he could. Which is something we didn't do often enough last season, long may it continue. I think he will be fine.
I think that’s what he needs to do more of. To be fair to him I thought he had a decent play offs and in my opinion he was far grittier and threw more hits than he did in the latter part of the league season. He said in his interview a few weeks ago that he likes to throw hits so let’s see more of it!

ASHIPP

It would be interesting to see if the other two EIHL teams involved in European competitions are bringing in an extra player or two to bolster their rosters for these games and cope with the additional heavy domestic schedule. Belfast certainly seem serious about challenging to retain the league title with some of the players they have signed and they will be trying to make a statement in the CHL after qualifying again.

Investment helps progress. The reality is that finances dictate the resources that help achieve those ambitions and targets.

Ocko

Anyone still wondering why Pope was given a two year deal, read the thread back last off season after ‘mega Monday’ or whatever it was called when Pope was re-signed after his first season, everyone was over the moon he had signed. We just choose to forget that good year. That deal he signed was a two year deal. We honoured it. Now hopefully he’s the Matt Pope of year 1. There could be a number of reasons his performances tailed off that we have no idea of that may no longer be issues this year.

jenks33

Anyone still wondering why Pope was given a two year deal, read the thread back last off season after ‘mega Monday’ or whatever it was called when Pope was re-signed after his first season, everyone was over the moon he had signed. We just choose to forget that good year. That deal he signed was a two year deal. We honoured it. Now hopefully he’s the Matt Pope of year 1. There could be a number of reasons his performances tailed off that we have no idea of that may no longer be issues this year.
I was happy with the re-signing of Matt Pope after his first year with us. But it should have been a one year deal. In my opinion there are very few imports at this level you hand 2 year contracts too. For me pope doesn’t fall into the same category as a Martin, Fournier, Hotham. He wasn’t so brilliant in his first season that he deserved a 2 year contract. I would put money on it that we wouldn’t have seen Matt pope back here this season if he wasn’t on a 2 year deal

voth26

If we don’t bring in a spare import forward and it’s down to finances then fair enough. At the end of the day we are still paying Mosey’s wages so money might be tight for another import. But if the money is there but we’re choosing to not sign a spare import then I’ll be disappointed about that. And this is why

I agree with you, we are only 2 games into pre season so in no way am I basing form and fitness on the 2 matches against Fehervar. What I’m talking about is trends that we saw last season and even the season before that.

First of all let’s talk about the elephant in the room when it comes to this seasons returnees - Matt Pope. And before I carry on let me say that I 100% hope that Pope has a great season and makes me look like a fool. This has got nothing to do with Matt Pope the person, I don’t agree with some of the comments he made in the offseason but if he’s performing on the ice I couldn’t give a damn what he says. And in no way do I agree with the abuse he’s received on social media.
I’ve given Pope a bit of stick about his performances in the second half of last season so I looked back at his stats to see if he struggled as much as I thought he did. To be honest the results were more brutal than I was expecting. In his last 28 games for the Devils in all competitions Matt Pope has scored in 1 game. Yes that’s ONE game! And that game was our penultimate league game of the season against MK. I found that stat astonishing. Since January the 20th Pope has scored in one match for the devils and that was against a team that was on its knees. Remember this is not Batch/Duggan/Rutkis this is a player that was re-signed for the 2018/19 season as a top 6 forward.
My main issue with the return of Pope is that he’s coming back because it’s the second year of a 2 year contract. Why on earth did we offer him a 2 year contract after his first year?! In my opinion there are 3 devils imports in the last 5 years that have merited a 2 year contract. Martin, Fournier and Hotham. For some reason we felt Pope deserved 2 years and that’s why he’s back. I appreciate people will say we could have cancelled his contract but Lordo isn’t a Thompson or a Barrasso, he’s as loyal as they come.

The other player is Haddad. I absolutely love Joey Haddad but in my opinion he’s now a player that you have to look after and maybe rest him every so often. How many games do we play now in all competitions? 80? I think Haddad’s body has shown that he cannot cope with that. It would be nice to have an option of a spare import for that reason.

I appreciate people will feel this post is too negative for this stage of the season and to be honest it probably is. But I’m tired of some fans criticising other fans for saying they’re not convinced that we are as strong as we could or should be. In my opinion it will come down to fine margins between us Belfast and Sheffield. My frustration at the moment is we are already running the risk of carrying one or two players before the season has even started. I’m very happy with our new signings but have we been too loyal with one or two?
to be honest id be amazed if we didn't bring in a spare import, especially as we have done it for quite a few yrs previously. the 2 players you've mentioned seemed to have started pre season pretty well?, i agree with some of your points about the differences between us giants and steelers. i thought we would bring in another 2 younger new players if i'm honest based purely on the fact that we have to start preparing for when some of the older guys finally leave and the Devils start the rebuilding process which i think will be next season??

jenks33

to be honest id be amazed if we didn't bring in a spare import, especially as we have done it for quite a few yrs previously. the 2 players you've mentioned seemed to have started pre season pretty well?, i agree with some of your points about the differences between us giants and steelers. i thought we would bring in another 2 younger new players if i'm honest based purely on the fact that we have to start preparing for when some of the older guys finally leave and the Devils start the rebuilding process which i think will be next season??
Don’t get me wrong I’m glad Haddad is back. I just think we need a spare import as I’m not convinced he can play every match.
As far as Pope is concerned I think he’s a lucky boy. If I was Ulmer or Livingston I’d feel hard done by. They must be thinking if pope is back then we’re a bit unfortunate

Wannabe2

Thought Moseys wages was covered by G B insurance, but can’t clarify that, still think we will sign another forward, our owners want that league title back, they are winners, we will sign another player.

august04

Thought Moseys wages was covered by G B insurance, but can’t clarify that, still think we will sign another forward, our owners want that league title back, they are winners, we will sign another player.
I would think that’s likely. GB must have had appropriate insurance in place and it’s surely not for the Devils to pay his wages when he was injured on GB duty. At the meet the players event, he commented that things were better now that he’s walking again - with a serious ACL injury, it’s a 6-9 months recovery at best and he should just concentrate on this and not risk his hockey career by rushing back to the ice too soon. It’s entirely possible that he won’t be back until the New Year, so he’s not our spare. I’d be amazed if we didn’t sign someone else pretty soon, otherwise we could hit problems when the CHL/cup/league games come thick and fast, given our recent injury record. This year we’re going to need to be at full strength as often as we can given the competitiveness of the league and as we know to our cost, a slip or two is all is takes to lose the league title.

Didn’t Pope finish that first season on a long goalscoring streak? He was in great form, so maybe the two year deal was offered off the back of that? Hopefully we’ll see that player again this year.

jenks33

Didn’t Pope finish that first season on a long goalscoring streak? He was in great form, so maybe the two year deal was offered off the back of that? Hopefully we’ll see that player again this year.
Yeah he did. Scored something like 10 goals in his last 10 games. And he was quite rightly re-signed for the following season. My issue is the 2 year contract. I don’t think he was so outstanding or consistent over the whole season to merit a 2 year extension. That was risky. The EIHL isn’t football or rugby where 2 year contracts are handed out all the time.

Wannabe2

You seem so confident Wannabe. Heard any whispers?
No mate, haven’t heard anything and rightly so. I just think our owners won’t miss a trick to win that league title again, also another signing will put pressure on others to produce, fighting for your place can only be good.

So I’m going to be in complete defence of both Haddad and Pope. Both put their bodies on the line each time they play and clearly love playing for the Devils. It was unfortunate that they both had issues at the end of the season but anyone who knew a little bit about what was going on or even actually spoke to both would understand why that was the case.

Both Haddad and Pope have been absolutely smashing it in the off season to get back to their absolute best and I look forward to seeing what they can do this season.

The only elephant in the room for me, is the absolutely shameful way some “fans” have approached our players on social media, the abuse Reddick, Pope, Bowns and various others have received has been sickening especially when there is a dip in performance, which the majority of the time is for a justifiable reason and not disclosed for damn good reasons.

august04

The only elephant in the room for me, is the absolutely shameful way some “fans” have approached our players on social media, the abuse Reddick, Pope, Bowns and various others have received has been sickening especially when there is a dip in performance, which the majority of the time is for a justifiable reason and not disclosed for damn good reasons.
Hardly the “elephant in the room” - people have talked about it at length for the last 12 months!