Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2019/20

dave

He was checked by independent doctor so must have passed the baseline test. Then Keefe used him and saw he was not right so rightly pulled him..same happened in The football last night .. question really is how good is the baseline test and should really be stronger like the rugby testing...easier to do in football as you allow a temp sub..for hockey it does mean an attitude change to player safety first as much as a player will want to try and go back on..

Wannabe2

When a player gets decked like Murphy was, and then has his legs collapse as he tries to get up, the last thing anyone should be thinking is to put him back out. What if he took another big hit, which was always possible in a high octane game like this game was. To me it was very unprofessional, and downright stupid.

He was checked by independent doctor so must have passed the baseline test. Then Keefe used him and saw he was not right so rightly pulled him..same happened in The football last night .. question really is how good is the baseline test and should really be stronger like the rugby testing...easier to do in football as you allow a temp sub..for hockey it does mean an attitude change to player safety first as much as a player will want to try and go back on..
This is quite an important point, about how effective at detecting concussion head injury assessments are. Something I was looking into earlier this year was the efficiency of HIAs in rugby considering all the sensitivity (and rightly so) on players getting concussions.

From what I saw - and I'm no medical professional by any means - I felt as though the testing that is in place is inadequate. It might spot whether somebody's too concussed to go back out onto the field, but it doesn't (and, honestly, I couldn't see how it can at all) capture whether or not somebody has a concussion. Not definitively.

What I mean by that is the symptoms of a concussion can take up to 48 hours to manifest themselves. A trauma can cause a concussion, and it doesn't always have to be a box office tackle/check/collision. Now, if you've been whacked but feel generally fine (other than a bit hazy) and you know how to circumnavigate some of the HIA - which is a reality, certainly current professional rugby players have admitted as much - then odds are that you're going to go back into the action. There's no way - as I understand it - that the test can detect something which might not appear until 24-48 hours after the event, which should really raise questions over how reliable it is.

All of the above said, I have no idea what the processes or protocols are in hockey. Obviously there must be something in place, it's a professional sport and the league & teams have a responsibility of care to the players to ensure as much. But the extent to which it's adequate is definitely something that warrants investigation.

Apologies for going off topic for the thread, I think it's quite an interesting subject. How about Simms to Devils as an ambassador for a rumour?

Devil94

I agree in retrospect that he shouldn't have gone back out, but can't see why it's Keefe's fault, and in my mind there's no way that's the issue that's causing a few players to leave.
If a doctor clears him to play and he returns to the bench, why wouldn't Keefe play him in such an important game? If an independent doctor says he's good to go then you play him.

Gaz G

Hope he's signed for us. Don't believe for one minute it's got anything to do with Murphy icing again. I'd lean towards Keefe being so angry after the game he pissed a lot of players off and called them out as to why they didn't defend him. His comments on the bench were outrageous and he made it clear after the game that he wasn't happy with the lack of reaction from his players.

Perhaps, his captain, warrior, point scorer just thought, screw you.

jenks33

To be honest I think Riley is leaving Belfast with nothing but good words to say about the club and Keefe. I don’t think it’s to do with the play off final at all. I noticed on twitter the other day that he liked a tweet wishing Keefe a Happy Birthday, would he really do that if they’ve had a big falling out? It’s only something small but I don’t think he’d go out of his way to do that if they don’t get on.
I just think Riley has probably had a better offer from us ( financially and possibly an assistant coach role) and with his playing career potentially coming to an end he’s probably thinking why not. It’s also obvious from several interviews I’ve seen from Lord and Riley in the past 3 years that both men really respect each other. I think Riley is Lord’s ideal player and vice versa

terry hunt

I dont know what has happened to Murphy since his concussion.Does anyone know if he is OK?
I recall the state Tyson Marsh was in and wouldnt wish that on any sportsman.