Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2019/20

d20

I wonder with so many Belfast players rumoured to be moving out there may be another reason.
Is it possible with Brexit looming and the possibility of trouble in Ulster that it may not be such a desirable place to be.
Very odd how and why so many are either leaving or retiring,after winning the league you want and need to keep a settled time

Dont think Brexit has anything to do with it but very odd how and why so many are either leaving or retiring,after winning the league you want and need to keep a settled team and maybe add a few ,if it was us i cant imagine us losing that many and with them having to get new faces in and go straight in to CHL could be tough for them..ah well never mind.

Ger-Devils

I wonder with so many Belfast players rumoured to be moving out there may be another reason.
Is it possible with Brexit looming and the possibility of trouble in Ulster that it may not be such a desirable place to be.
Trouble in Ulster? I’ve lived here just under 3 years and seen one issue. There are certain areas where it can be a bit hairy at times but these players are well away from those places.

One thought about Belfast, travel. Every away game is an expedition. Get to an airport in Ireland, get off the other end onto a bus to a hotel. Your staying the night because there are very few late flights back. So you fly back Monday arrive back midday Monday, which just so happens to be your day off. Fewer nights away from home and family on mainland. Just a thought.

Ger-Devils

One thought about Belfast, travel. Every away game is an expedition. Get to an airport in Ireland, get off the other end onto a bus to a hotel. Your staying the night because there are very few late flights back. So you fly back Monday arrive back midday Monday, which just so happens to be your day off. Fewer nights away from home and family on mainland. Just a thought.
Scotland they ferry over due to their sponsorship with StenaLine so back same night.

Earnie

What was Belfast Harbour Airport (now George Best) and the Ferries are on the doorstep. However every away game is a lot of travel but that is a part of Ice Hockey Life. Think of what NHL and KHL have to travel!

When Linglet played his last season in KHL he did not have a day off in 9 months! Either training, travelling or playing, I think for the older players with family’s they are looking for a more rounded work life balance, and possibly that is better on a mainland team. Ferry’s in the middle of the Irish Sea in mid winter can be a challenge.

OJLloyd

It does seem this rumour has some legs.

As for reasons, obviously only he knows. But there are several possible reasons, including money, further education possibilities, job opportunities post hockey (something a few people have mentioned before) and also perhaps he really buys in to the Devils ethos at the moment considering the changes in Belfast.

Who knows, but if he signs then I will be intrigued as to who he replaces. Haddad and Pope have both been mentioned, but both are still in Wales as of yesterday. Joey's life seems to be rather settled here, and as a role player and possession controller I would be loathe to see us let him go.

I have been told again that Pope is going in to the second year of a 2 year deal, and considering his personal life this would make sense. A difficult year at times, but also stepped it up sometimes. If we can have that Pope back all season then I wouldn't want to see him gone either. I suspect that either Big Game Layne is bowing out, or perhaps Mo. Appreciate they are both centres, but we have a slightly imbalanced squad at the moment anyway, so a wing for a centre isn't quite as silly as it might seem at first.

zoesdevil

It does seem this rumour has some legs.

As for reasons, obviously only he knows. But there are several possible reasons, including money, further education possibilities, job opportunities post hockey (something a few people have mentioned before) and also perhaps he really buys in to the Devils ethos at the moment considering the changes in Belfast.

Who knows, but if he signs then I will be intrigued as to who he replaces. Haddad and Pope have both been mentioned, but both are still in Wales as of yesterday. Joey's life seems to be rather settled here, and as a role player and possession controller I would be loathe to see us let him go.

I have been told again that Pope is going in to the second year of a 2 year deal, and considering his personal life this would make sense. A difficult year at times, but also stepped it up sometimes. If we can have that Pope back all season then I wouldn't want to see him gone either. I suspect that either Big Game Layne is bowing out, or perhaps Mo. Appreciate they are both centres, but we have a slightly imbalanced squad at the moment anyway, so a wing for a centre isn't quite as silly as it might seem at first.
The only reason it would be Joey is down to the injuries he's had the last couple of season & maybe they've taken their toll on his body. I'm thinking more Pope, (may get shot for this) as he wasn't at his best for quite a few games last season, a bit of a bystander unfortunately in some games.

pjj365

It has been posted somewhere that the numbers of players said to be leaving is because senior players are unhappy about Murphy being put back on the ice after "that" hit

This would make sense as you need to be able to trust your coach to look after your well being.

Devil94

It has been posted somewhere that the numbers of players said to be leaving is because senior players are unhappy about Murphy being put back on the ice after "that" hit

This would make sense as you need to be able to trust your coach to look after your well being.
Genuine question, in an incident like that, wouldn't Murphy have had to be cleared by a doctor to go back on the ice? Or does that system not exist yet in the Elite League?

d20

yes he would have ,I think what the giants did wrong was not check him thoroughly especially as the state he was in with his legs gone as he came back on for a shift or two only then to stay off ,maybe after icing again the effects hit him and he was in a bad state in the dressing room.

As for what was said in the room with players etc no one will know as thats all rumours .

ASHIPP

Todd and Lordo seen with Riley a day or so ago? Next week it will be Tony Smith seen meeting Sidney Crosby at Watford Gap Services!!!
Who wouldn't want Blair Riley on their team? He is an absolute beast of a power forward and, to use a cliche, ticks so many boxes for the Devils - physical, fast, scores, creates opportunities, great work ethic, a proven leader.

I would be very suprised if he came here unless he wants to stay in the UK. He is either destined for a better league in Europe, or a bigger role at a club in coaching. There will be opportunities for that over here.

As for some sort of 'two way trade' involving a Devils' player going to Giants, since when did the Elite League become the NHL?!