Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2019/20

Mooney#16

The idea Devils are throwing around money to pick of Belfast’s stars is pretty laughable if i’m being honest. The idea people would leak stories around contract negotiation time to drive their value up has more reality. The thought fans are bored and making up rumours for some warped pleasure is highly realistic.

Kevlar68

The amount of players that were rumoured last season of us signing we could have had 2 squads.
Boredom sets in after the season and without rumour and gossip the forum would be silent until a signing is announced.
It's all part of the off season fun. :p

Mooney#16

That works until people build themselves up into a frenzy about the level of signing your aiming for and get underwhelmed by the poor bloke who does sign. Exhibit A. Ben Blood. Poor bloke got written of by some as soon as he signed. Turned out he was pretty good. His only crime was not being Tyson Strachan by all accounts.

Set your heart on Riley and Murphy if you want from one bloke fishing with one liners but be prepared to be brought back down to earth.

Off season nonsense but my theory is Riley must've fallen out with Keefe.

My memory isn't the best however I'm pretty sure at the POFW when Schiestel put that huge hit on Murphy, Riley was on the ice at time.. Keefe is old school with things like that. So can't imagine he was too happy that his captain didn't answer the bell when their star player was on the receiving end of a huge hit. Add the fact Keefe is an ultra passionate guy, it wouldn't surprise me if Keefe & Riley fell out after the game over it.

Even if we don't sign Riley, I'm loving the Giants fanbase in meltdown over this.[/QUOTE

Speaking as a giants fan its not the end of the world if Murphy and riley go to Cardiff. Two cracking players who will be missed but is there anyone in the eihl who cant be replaced.

Diablo3

I'm loving reading some people getting so agitated over these rumours. But let's face it, the Devils are never going to double a players wage in the EIHL. We leave that nonsense to the Steelers/Panthers/Giants who have the capacity to fund larger wages.

OJLloyd

If we were to sign Riley, it would mean a big name leaving. He’s not coming in on a two-way with Swindon, is he?

And whilst I really rate him as a player, I’d obviously prefer to keep our squad together in the first instance.

But he’s a right handed shot, who can mix things up. So if we are losing someone this summer he’d be a great addition.

All of that being said, I have only seen this based on twitter stuff, which I think is Steeler 1991 stirring things.

jimmy snels

If we were to sign Riley, it would mean a big name leaving. He’s not coming in on a two-way with Swindon, is he?

And whilst I really rate him as a player, I’d obviously prefer to keep our squad together in the first instance.

But he’s a right handed shot, who can mix things up. So if we are losing someone this summer he’d be a great addition.

All of that being said, I have only seen this based on twitter stuff, which I think is Steeler 1991 stirring things.

pope or haddad are the obvious candidates in this instance i would suggest. i believe riley would be an upgrade on both now (which is horrid to say as i love joey)

jenks33

The more I read about Riley the more I believe that he probably has signed for us. Say what you like about Simms but most of his off-season tweets regarding player movements tend to happen. He says Belfast fans won’t be happy with Riley’s new destination and it isn’t panthers or Steelers.

terry hunt

I wonder with so many Belfast players rumoured to be moving out there may be another reason.
Is it possible with with Brexit looming and the possibility of trouble in Ulster that it may not be such a desirable place to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

august04

That works until people build themselves up into a frenzy about the level of signing your aiming for and get underwhelmed by the poor bloke who does sign. Exhibit A. Ben Blood. Poor bloke got written of by some as soon as he signed. Turned out he was pretty good. His only crime was not being Tyson Strachan by all accounts.

Set your heart on Riley and Murphy if you want from one bloke fishing with one liners but be prepared to be brought back down to earth.
Rumours are one thing but Giants have confirmed that Riley has left. I’d say there’s a good chance he’s coming here if he stays in the UK, given we’ve been after him before.

d20

100 % Riley was seen in cardiff on monday with Todd and Lord,and this was by numerous people one i know of which was right by them ,
so hes either signing or talking ,if he has its gonna be great seeing the giants fans have a meltdown.

Devilsatw

Like I said some people don’t want to believe it or accuse people of lying. I know it’s all ifs and buts but the rumour is to strong to not be true