Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2019/20

As for players or coaches moving on I'm sure they would for a new challenge if at a higher level than eihl,it's a no brainer.
In any everyday job if you were offered a position bigger and better than the one you had I'm sure we would move on.
I don’t think that’s necessarily the case. I could triple my salary in London, but I live in the South West for the quality of life etc.

People aren’t always chasing money. In fact, a lot of people place job satisfaction etc above the pay. If the Devils can offer a great environment, chance of success and solid money, it becomes far less appealing to suddenly fly out to a random country to earn a bit more....or to grit your teeth and live in Sheffield

I’ve worked with a few players, and lots of them say that they stay with a club if they feel looked after and valued by that club. Doesn’t cost Cardiff anything to create that sort of collegiate environment.

matbur

Lord is still young as a coach and learning on the job. I'm of the view he found this season the most difficult by some margin but he's come through it richer from the experience.

He's been unbelievable for us and he's a natural leader, you can see that - if he gets approached from a team in a bigger league nobody will stand in his way. I think he'll be with us a couple more years yet though (thankfully).

Wannabe2

Lord is still young as a coach and learning on the job. I'm of the view he found this season the most difficult by some margin but he's come through it richer from the experience.

He's been unbelievable for us and he's a natural leader, you can see that - if he gets approached from a team in a bigger league nobody will stand in his way. I think he'll be with us a couple more years yet though (thankfully).
Ditto

hip check

I don’t think that’s necessarily the case. I could triple my salary in London, but I live in the South West for the quality of life etc.

People aren’t always chasing money. In fact, a lot of people place job satisfaction etc above the pay. If the Devils can offer a great environment, chance of success and solid money, it becomes far less appealing to suddenly fly out to a random country to earn a bit more....or to grit your teeth and live in Sheffield

I’ve worked with a few players, and lots of them say that they stay with a club if they feel looked after and valued by that club. Doesn’t cost Cardiff anything to create that sort of collegiate environment.
If he stayed because he felt valued he would always wonder how far his talents could have taken him, it's not always about money, seeing how far your talents can take you is enough motivation for most people, Andrew Lord is no different.

Mazzoak

Lordo future lies in his and Kelmans relationship together, something that has been tested recently, apparently. I’m not sure Lord has the teeth to be successful away from the Devils, other clubs may not be so forgiving, he’s lucky at least publicly the organisation fully supports each other, the ethos of others not so harmonious.

pjj365

I don't think Lord is going anywhere I think a guy like him cannot have 'unfinished business' I think he really wants the CHL qualification and he's really young for a coach, he's definitely going to be a coach in a big league one day but he's still cutting his teeth here and what a club to home your craft with.
There is domestic unfinished business here but a long say to go. The stats:

Silverware won EIHL era
PlayOffs Cup Leauge Totals
Panthers 4 7 1 12
Steelers 5 0 5 10
Giants 1 3 4 8
Blaze 2 2 4 8
Devils 2 3 2 7
Vipers 1 0 o 1

OK layout is messed up (sorry) but you'll get the point BUT rather than play catch up I'd settle for a good CHL run as I'm sure would Lordo - you can't undo the past

As an aside all but 1 of our "wins" are from the "new owner era" and it shows Steelers are not No 1

kingmo19.1

Lordo future lies in his and Kelmans relationship together, something that has been tested recently, apparently. I’m not sure Lord has the teeth to be successful away from the Devils, other clubs may not be so forgiving, he’s lucky at least publicly the organisation fully supports each other, the ethos of others not so harmonious.
I thought their relationship was rock solid ?

Gazza272

Andrew Lord has the Teeth to be successful at the very top of this game in a coaching capacity. He will be a successful coach at levels much higher than the Elite League in his career.

Wagstaff

He’s growing as a coach, last year when times got rough and you went through a lean spell, he chucked on his skates and led by example as he did as captain previously and won the league, this year he stayed on the bench and coached through it and matched Belfast for points. Next year he will coach a league winning side again but from the bench, after that..... who knows?

voth26

Why so negative, what has Lord done so badly that other clubs may not be so forgiving? and how do you know their relationship has been tested recently??

matbur

I'd be surprised if Lord and TK's relationship wasn't tested at times, look at the pressure they've been under in recent weeks...

Personally, I wouldn't read too much in that, there will always be disagreements. Looking at it as an outsider, they seem to be a good combo: both are making a name for themselves, both forward thinking and both have been integral to the success the team has enjoyed in recent years. Unless he was on the radar of a club from a bigger league or had some sort of family issue that would it make it difficult to live here, I really don't think we need to worry about Lord moving on.

Last edited:

Kevlar68

Nothing worse than an unofficial signing leak, spoils all the build up and anticipation of the announcement.

If we're looking for a hard man can we have Jack Worth from Calgary, He's one tough guy, not sure he's any good on skates though :)

Last edited: