Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2018/19

Kevlar68

Lets not forget its a two way thing a signing. Its not just "We can afford him, lets sign him" Does he fit the style of play a coach wants? Will that player add anything to the roster? Does the team offer what the player is looking for with playing time? Is the off ice package what the player wants?
Loads of factors come in to it when making a signing not just about we can afford them.

Kal

I'm not sure we're as big a moneybags as some people think, we've already made some cutbacks this off season with letting Jamie go. Whether that was just funds being diverted from off ice staff elsewhere or someone else taking the role we don't know and may never know. Maybe we've been operating slightly beyond our means while we were building up and we're now trying to even out. It wouldn't be that strange, a lot of businesses operate at a loss while establishing themselves for the first few years.

*Note: All my own musing, not based on any facts.

zoesdevil

Has played with Joey Martin so there is a connection. A left winger, if the rumours of Asselin not coming back are true, he could be the replacement. 33 is no age in this league, think he'd be a decent signing.
He's also following Benti & his wife on twitter along with Martin, as ive said before, this could mean absolutely nothing, but who knows!!

if we sign him and we pay him a lot of money, this also creates disharmony in the team that 1 player earns substantially more than the others. I cant imagine Andrew Lord doing that as he is very much into team chemistry

bb1

Just out of interest who says we are going to be paying him astronomical amounts of money if he came to us, like what is being suggested.....??? Yes he has a great resume however he may want a uni package or even just a change of scene and culture so it isnt just all about the money.

Devil_Abroad

Don’t see how you can say that, and it’s probably not true. There is not a bottomless pit of money in Cardiff, and we are not privvy to Panthers/ Steelers/ Giants budget, and rightly so. Devils are in a better position than ever, but have also to be self sufficient. It’s not always what a player costs, but what he contributes, and Panthers have a new sponsor and who knows what they contribute.
And the fact that Todd makes his living from it so if there’s no profit he’ll be homeless

Cardiff have a very good budget due to benefits like no ice time costs but I don’t believe it’s the biggest budget in the league? Nottingham surely must be favourites for that? Belfast ice costs can;t be that Belfast Giants due to who owns them. Sheffield’s ice costs must be a burden to them. And the the Flyers owner isn’t short of a bob or two either. Flames seem to be pretty well backed too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devil_Abroad

Lets not forget its a two way thing a signing. Its not just "We can afford him, lets sign him" Does he fit the style of play a coach wants? Will that player add anything to the roster? Does the team offer what the player is looking for with playing time? Is the off ice package what the player wants?
Loads of factors come in to it when making a signing not just about we can afford them.
And biggest of all to Lord and Kelman, will he fit in the locker room and the Devils family. That’s been a big winner for us.

Devil_Abroad

Has played with Joey Martin so there is a connection. A left winger, if the rumours of Asselin not coming back are true, he could be the replacement. 33 is no age in this league, think he'd be a decent signing.
Think he’d be more than a decent signing - he’d be stellar! Wouldn’t he?

And the fact that Todd makes his living from it so if there’s no profit he’ll be homeless

Cardiff have a very good budget due to benefits like no ice time costs but I don’t believe it’s the biggest budget in the league? Nottingham surely must be favourites for that? Belfast ice costs can;t be that Belfast Giants due to who owns them. Sheffield’s ice costs must be a burden to them. And the the Flyers owner isn’t short of a bob or two either. Flames seem to be pretty well backed too?

In terms of owners net worth, John Hepburn at Guildford smashes everyone out the park.

Nottingham have tied up a new sponsor, and they are looking to get some silverware after a few embarrasing domestic seasons for a team of their stature.

I'd say Nottingham maybe top the budget, followed by Devils, Us & Belfast will be close I'd say.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Devil_Abroad

According to his agents page, Hedden is in contract until 2019 with Straubing (see link below). Not sure how frequently the page is updated, but looking at other players on there, if they are free agents, it says 'Available' next to their name.

https://www.ipc-hockey.com/players/mike-hedden
That’s a shame then.....although contracts are known to be worthless in hockey aren’t they?

Devil_Abroad

In terms of owners net worth, John Hepburn at Guildford smashes everyone out the park.

Nottingham have tied up a new sponsor, and they are looking to get some silverware after a few embarrasing domestic seasons for a team of their stature.

I'd say Nottingham maybe top the budget, followed by Devils, Us & Belfast will be close I'd say.

You don’t think Flames owner is buying into it at present? Looking at their roster being built this season, keeping their best players, going with 3 netminders - he may just be starting to throw more money their way? Great for the league.

You don’t think Flames owner is buying into it at present? Looking at their roster being built this season, keeping their best players, going with 3 netminders - he may just be starting to throw more money their way? Great for the league.

I guess those returning top guys will have had wage increases. I await the rest of their new imports with interest.