Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2018/19

Wannabe2

That’s even a worse call, we are the league champions, why would you sign Martinelli, very very average player. Big guy but that’s all.[
Martinelli wreaked havoc in the challenge Cup final and caused us all manner of problems... Maybe it's you that doesn't watch the game *cringe

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk
Martinelli wreaked havoc in the challenge Cup final and caused us all manner of problems... Maybe it's you that doesn't watch the game *cringe

In fairness Martinelli couldn’t cause havoc in Toys r us, that challenge cup game was us, beating us, and no other explanation. Martinelli couldn’t hold a candle in a Devils team, and never will.

One game really?? I been watching him for 2 years and he’s done nothing to suggest he would be a devil.

Gagnon or martinelli?? Gagnon 100%

Devil_Abroad

Doty is a dry strange addition by Panthers; maybe they see different way of getting more out of him?

I see this place has erupted again on getting fighters and away form team toughness

I’m looking at the trophy cabinet; thanks, but no thanks.

Same again please coach & owners. Team toughness with 4 or 5 upgrades.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zoesdevil

Doty is a dry strange addition by Panthers; maybe they see different way of getting more out of him?

I see this place has erupted again on getting fighters and away form team toughness

I’m looking at the trophy cabinet; thanks, but no thanks.

Same again please coach & owners. Team toughness with 4 or 5 upgrades.

Thanks.

I think if we signed Gagnon, he would fit into the team toughness style roster, as he's a great strong D man & is very tough.

I don't think Gagnon is a player Devils should be looking to sign.

He is, as others have pointed out, as tough as they come. He will protect teammates and not allow cheap shots, usually. He jumped Cole Shudra and then forced Valdix into the ice and fought Fitzgerald within about 20 seconds after Shudra threw a high hit on Lee in a 5-0 game. He is very tough, he will protect his team but he was exceptionally inconsistent when it came to playing the tough guy role. I don't know whether it's a case of he knows most of the guys on other teams or was told not to fight or what but I'd say in at least 7 cheap shots against Panthers out of 10, Gagnon did nothing. The other 3 times, probably 2 of them Gagnon would have words or see if the other guy wanted to fight, and the final 1, he dropped the gloves. Now, I don't want a tough guy who'll drop the gloves or lose his head every game but there were many occasions where you'd sit and think 'Where's Gagnon?'.

Playing skill wise, he was decent. Not a liability but not a leading defenceman who you'd want to put too much responsibility onto. He had moments where he was brilliant and used his body well, and other moments where he looked confused and out of place. He's a big, heavy body and when he used it, it paid off but he did not use it enough. Skating wise, once he gets going he's pretty quick and being as big as he is it'd be like walking in front of a bus getting in his way. However, he never seemed the most durable player, he'd exert a lot of energy on a breakout, coast to coast type play, but struggle to get back into position. Quite sluggish at times and never moved exceptionally well. He's a young guy in the grand scheme of things so personally I feel it's the mental aspects of his game which hold him back most. Does a lot of talking to opposition tough guys so it makes you wonder where his focus is.

I don't think we saw the best of him in Nottingham but I'm confident he could be upgraded upon. I did like him and enjoy watching him in Nottingham, and although he was frustrating to watch too at times, I'm not massively bothered that we probably won't see him back in Nottingham this season.

Kal

Gagnon would have to be a replacement for Louis or Strachen, Paris is a completely different style player, does a different job and shouldn't be used as a comparison in this. I'd rather keep Louis and Strachen given the choice.

august04

Gagnon would have to be a replacement for Louis or Strachen, Paris is a completely different style player, does a different job and shouldn't be used as a comparison in this. I'd rather keep Louis and Strachen given the choice.
I can see 3 or 4 defenceman not returning. If the rumours are to be believed, there are major doubts over Hotham and Strachan, Paris is already gone and I firmly believe we can upgrade on Reddick, although in fairness he upped his game. Fournier is crucial for me, that’s one player we must keep at all costs. I think we’ll see big changes in the D corps next season, so plenty of scope for new players to come in, including someone like Gagnon.

Devil_Abroad

I can see 3 or 4 defenceman not returning. If the rumours are to be believed, there are major doubts over Hotham and Strachan, Paris is already gone and I firmly believe we can upgrade on Reddick, although in fairness he upped his game. Fournier is crucial for me, that’s one player we must keep at all costs. I think we’ll see big changes in the D corps next season, so plenty of scope for new players to come in, including someone like Gagnon.
Reddick will be back - the owners and Lord like him

You hit the nail on the head, Hotham and Strachan are gone, Paris already is gone and Louis and Fournier are or were iffy at one point after the season so there's a chance that the only 2 returnees playing D next year are Ritchie and Reddick . If in fact that is true then there's some very difficult recruiting to be done to equal what you've lost .

Wannabe2

You hit the nail on the head, Hotham and Strachan are gone, Paris already is gone and Louis and Fournier are or were iffy at one point after the season so there's a chance that the only 2 returnees playing D next year are Ritchie and Reddick . If in fact that is true then there's some very difficult recruiting to be done to equal what you've lost .
You say players have gone, as if it’s a fact, then you say if it’s true. Now if we have lost Hotham and Strachan then that’s a big blow, but remember Hotham is usually the last to sign, Louis has a young lady in Cardiff, and I believe Fournier will be back, but that’s not fact. If we lose very good players, at least we know we will replace them with very good players.I heard and believe Cardiff was inundated with players requests to play here, and if they have any sense, that’s exactly what they should want to do.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS

Kevlar68

Players no matter what sport they play want to play in top competitions, we are in the CHL which puts the club in a better position for top signings than other clubs in our league.

Which ever players leave there is no way they will be replaced with a mediocre replacement.

BostonBart22

Gagnon could do the same job as bordy put the fear of god against other teams when on the ice, and we won trophys as well with bordy who only fought once or twice if i can remember... clan , panthers and belfast will be tough this season no doubt about that. teams will think twice about running bowns if we had gagnon...thats if bowns is still with us that is..

I personally don't like a tough guy to be a D man. 4th liner yes by all means but not someone expected to play regular minutes. Playing 5 D while theyre serving their FM puts the D all out of sync.

Can't believe people wouldn't want Martinelli. Wasn't he Giants player of the season or something. He is a quality D man and one of the best stay at home D men in the league.

Wannabe2

Well at the moment even Belfast don’t want him, I don’t think he is good enough for the league champions, other teams yes, but not us, we can and should go for better than Martinelli, 4 goals in 103 games, and he can’t fight, ask Lordo.