Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2018/19

pjj365

Place your bets

Seen around the Bay this weekend - Haddad, Pope, Fournier. Has Martin not bought a house in Barry and of course all the Brits are around

Anyone's guess and that's what makes it fun

One thing though - do we not keep any new signings under wraps till as late as possible so other teams can't compete?

Finny

We all enjoy having a go at Punchbag but he’s a very effective player. I’d be happy to sign him and Perlini, no problem at all with that.
I agree that Farmer is a very effective player. My only criticism of him is that he tried to get into fights too often when he is such a poor fighter.
Before people start saying though they'd like us to sign one or both of them, the new U23 rule means that we couldn't sign a Farmer or a Perlini without either playing an import short of without Bowns, Murdy, Richardson, Myers or Batch.

Of course, if one of those players doesn't return then either would be a great signing.

James

Administrator
Tried being the operative word here. Since he's stopped trying to be the hard man and actually play the game hes come on a long way :) I'd be more than happy to see him on a Devils team now, a few years ago, hell no

Temme

I agree that Farmer is a very effective player. My only criticism of him is that he tried to get into fights too often when he is such a poor fighter.
Before people start saying though they'd like us to sign one or both of them, the new U23 rule means that we couldn't sign a Farmer or a Perlini without either playing an import short of without Bowns, Murdy, Richardson, Myers or Batch.

Of course, if one of those players doesn't return then either would be a great signing.
This is more about timing for me than anything else, Farmer is more of an agitator than a fighter, and in my opinion is brilliant at the game he plays.

This season he's had 3 EIHL fights, last season 1 fight.

The outcome of these fights is irrelevant, it's the willingness to fight for the team that is significant. Neither player was injured physically in the fight so it's about the "emotional gain" (whatever that is)

In these fights he's gone up against nothing but top level imports -

Matt Marquardt
Ryan Martinelli
Kyle Essery* (Not necessarily top level)
Darian Dziurzynski
And the season before (15/16) Levi Nelson, Mattieu Roy

These are all big impact players for their clubs, winning Nottingham the trade off every time.

It's all well and good having an out and out tough guy, but if he can't play other teams will simply laugh at him.

I compare this slightly to Batch; i mean no disrespect to Batch but this is merely a comparison...

Batch's last 10 fights have gone as follows:

15-16
Boris Valabik
Boris Valabik
Rob Sarich
Robert Farmer
Zack Fitzgerald
Adam Keefe

16-17
Guilliaume Desbiens

17-18
Emerson Hrynyk
John Kurtz
Joonas Ronnberg

Fight results aside, as they are irrelevant; Devils have won every one of these trade offs, as Batch has not been used as much as any of these guys, and they have all played much more vital roles for their clubs than Batch has for us.

However, none of these players are such big "impact" players as the guys Farmer has taken off.

This to me is a big part of what Farmer brings to a team. picking and choosing his fights wisely for his teams benefit (I'm not saying that Batch/Devils do not do this...)

Again, i mean this in no way to Disrespect Batch, merely to show how good Farmer is at agitating.

d20

think the above thread needs to go in the toughness thread ,seem to be getting sidetracked again with the rumours.

Im hoping today for Martin,Haddad (seeing as they are both still here ) as for the other 2 not sure ,will we announce brits or seeing as they are saying its a HUGE MEGA monday and they have ballsed them up before maybe they'll announce 4 of our imports.

Temme

I'm interested to see how GB's recent triumph will influence the movement of Brits for next year; the opportunity to play against the best in the world is something they will all be fighting for.

The likes of Bowns, Dowd, Myers, O'Connor, Richie etc. are all set in stone as picks, but there's cusp players that will do anything to make next years roster.

Batch, Moore, Ciaran Long, etc.

I wouldn't mind placing a bet that there's movement as these guys look for more regular ice time, i love the job that Batch does for us but i feel it does hurt his GB selection chances being used so limited. Similar to Ben Davies when he moved up to Braehead in chase of more ice time.

I'm interested to see how GB's recent triumph will influence the movement of Brits for next year; the opportunity to play against the best in the world is something they will all be fighting for.

The likes of Bowns, Dowd, Myers, O'Connor, Richie etc. are all set in stone as picks, but there's cusp players that will do anything to make next years roster.

Batch, Moore, Ciaran Long, etc.

I wouldn't mind placing a bet that there's movement as these guys look for more regular ice time, i love the job that Batch does for us but i feel it does hurt his GB selection chances being used so limited. Similar to Ben Davies when he moved up to Braehead in chase of more ice time.
Don't think Long moves. Another season like he just had to show he's not a "one season wonder" and he'll be in contention.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Earnie

Surely now it is likely that the GB coaches will be looking more into Dual Nationals before they take on the big boys. The two week training camp get together with two competitive matches is a bit short but with our league structure there is not much else they can do.

Mooney#16

Surely now it is likely that the GB coaches will be looking more into Dual Nationals before they take on the big boys. The two week training camp get together with two competitive matches is a bit short but with our league structure there is not much else they can do.
This would be the biggest travesty of all time if they were to stack that team with dual nationals. Realistically the dream scenario for GB will just be to stay up so let the guys have there shot at the big time. Unless there is a huge exception I don't think it would be very moral for any dual to be making there debut for GB next year.

All British players now have a serious incentive to have as big a career year as they can and this is the biggest opportunity to show British kids what they can genuinely achieve in the sport so to get dual nationals in would for my personal opinion be the most counter productive exercise.

Fortunately I don't think this will happen. I think Russell will be honourable towards the Brits.

Paul Sullivan

This would be the biggest travesty of all time if they were to stack that team with dual nationals. Realistically the dream scenario for GB will just be to stay up so let the guys have there shot at the big time. Unless there is a huge exception I don't think it would be very moral for any dual to be making there debut for GB next year.

All British players now have a serious incentive to have as big a career year as they can and this is the biggest opportunity to show British kids what they can genuinely achieve in the sport so to get dual nationals in would for my personal opinion be the most counter productive exercise.

Fortunately I don't think this will happen. I think Russell will be honourable towards the Brits.
This. Dance with the one that brung ya.