Just for completeness sakes:

Scott Aarssen
Miika Franssila
Mark Matheson
John Armstrong
Eric Neiley
Levi Nelson
Mathieu Roy (already signed)

Does that mean all remaining imports (above...) have been offered contracts for next year?
According to Simms no. Some more may retire or find other clubs so they may well go into double figures! A complete rebuild.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devil_Abroad

Agree with Ocko, I like Fitzy a lot considering who he played for!
I’d be quite happy to see him patrolling our blue line. He’s still a decent defenceman, solves your toughness issue straight away and he defends his team mates better than anyone I’ve seen in recent times. He has the odd red mist moment but I can live with that. Toughness will still be required in our league next year as we still rely a lot on North American pros and realistically can’t compete on wages with the higher end leagues in Europe for the real skilled players.
He looked to have put some pounds on so may not have recovered fully from all his injuries this season; maybe another reason why he’s considering retirement? A couple of seasons ago I would not have minded taking him; only draw back is his red mist that may affect his judgement in tight games.

In Hotham, Strachan and Louis we’ve had toughness and if they stay we’re fie in that department - toughness and top end skill - tick.

terry hunt

Wonder if jonno will stay as one of the brits, think dowd and david philips will move on..
I think he only had a 1 year deal.
Problem is as club captain of long standing it may be hard to release him.The Steelers are not as hard as people think i remember their anguish when Shudra had to go.
I hope there are no suggestions of him coming back to cardiff

zoesdevil

I think he only had a 1 year deal.
Problem is as club captain of long standing it may be hard to release him.The Steelers are not as hard as people think i remember their anguish when Shudra had to go.
I hope there are no suggestions of him coming back to cardiff
I'd take Dowd though!!

He looked to have put some pounds on so may not have recovered fully from all his injuries this season; maybe another reason why he’s considering retirement? A couple of seasons ago I would not have minded taking him; only draw back is his red mist that may affect his judgement in tight games.

In Hotham, Strachan and Louis we’ve had toughness and if they stay we’re fie in that department - toughness and top end skill - tick.

You gotta remember that Fitzgerald has a baby on the way, the job he does (fight) carries a high risk of serious head/brain injuries. It might be the responsible thing to retire and go home.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

OJLloyd

Realise it’s fanciful thinking due to budget restraints etc, but I’d love to have Fitzy in the sort of role Lord played at the start of this season - coaching but keeping himself fit and ready should we need to dress him.

I think he’s a great guy, and importantly a very team oriented guy who would fit in well in our organisation. I’m sure he’d appreciate things like Joey Martin throwing some knucks to protect his teammate earlier in the season.

That and should we be playing a team who are lower on skill but higher on the physical stuff we can have him dressed and ready to make sure we keep them honest.

On the rumour side of things I’ve heard that Reddick will be back. Here’s hoping.

I’d be amazed if we went with Lawday as a backup next season. He’s still very young and with goalie headhunters like Armstrong around, we need a strong back up nettie. It’s crucial. Still hoping we’ll have the same Bowns/Murdy duo though!
I think Lawday has the potential to be the next Bowns and think we will use him as our backup next season. Murdy has done a great job for us in this role and would be an asset for someone like the Caps as a starter.

Gaz G

I'd be amazed if he went to the Caps. Whilst he'd certainly face a lot of shots, it's not going to do his confidence any good if they are getting beat every game. I reckon he's good enough to do a job as starter for better teams than the Caps.

JT666

Realise it’s fanciful thinking due to budget restraints etc, but I’d love to have Fitzy in the sort of role Lord played at the start of this season - coaching but keeping himself fit and ready should we need to dress him.

I think he’s a great guy, and importantly a very team oriented guy who would fit in well in our organisation. I’m sure he’d appreciate things like Joey Martin throwing some knucks to protect his teammate earlier in the season.

That and should we be playing a team who are lower on skill but higher on the physical stuff we can have him dressed and ready to make sure we keep them honest.
Same here! Even though he was a Steeler, and a wind up merchant to boot, I've always secretly liked Fitzgerald. Brilliant entertainment, hard as nails, and an excellent ambassador off the ice. Also, as an ex NHLer (albeit for one Canucks game), not too shabby a player either. Solves the perceived lack of a stand out hard man character in one swoop, plus if any coach was to calm the red mist issues, it would be Lord.

Depends if he thinks moving from Steelers to their main rivals is a step too far, but then he's always been someone who seems to enjoy the pantomime villain tag, so you never know.

Same here! Even though he was a Steeler, and a wind up merchant to boot, I've always secretly liked Fitzgerald. Brilliant entertainment, hard as nails, and an excellent ambassador off the ice. Also, as an ex NHLer (albeit for one Canucks game), not too shabby a player either. Solves the perceived lack of a stand out hard man character in one swoop, plus if any coach was to calm the red mist issues, it would be Lord.

Depends if he thinks moving from Steelers to their main rivals is a step too far, but then he's always been someone who seems to enjoy the pantomime villain tag, so you never know.
Do you need him though? You had great team toughness which I think is going to evolve the ‘enforcer’ role in the EIHL. Faryna, Strachan, Louis, Batch and maybe even Paris & Hotham can all handle themselves, but also play good roles.

Fitzy can fight better, but he’s no where near the players they are, he’s getting slower too.

ASHIPP

Fitzgerald is a big man who has slowed down in the last two years and is remembered for his red mist moments. Thommo called him out enough about it (his ill discipline) in interviews. We have players who fulfil the toughness role already.
Fantastic with the kids and in the community and a fan favourite at Sheffield......but we already have plenty of heroes on our team who fulfil those roles too.

One of his latest tweets today suggests he had already been thinking about the future outside of Steelers before he was released. Big decisions to make wih a family on the way, and 1000's miles from home.

I'd be amazed if he went to the Caps. Whilst he'd certainly face a lot of shots, it's not going to do his confidence any good if they are getting beat every game. I reckon he's good enough to do a job as starter for better teams than the Caps.
I'd be interested to know what starting netminders from last season you rate Murdy higher than. Because in my opinion anyone signing Murdy would be downgrading on what they have.The reason I said Caps was that they might be able to upgrade slightly on an import or two with him in net's and with their budget it might be tempting. Cant see anyone else taking a chance on him. I'd rate Day from Sheffield a better goaltender too.

Devil_Abroad

On the rumour side of things I’ve heard that Reddick will be back. Here’s hoping.
According to Todd Reddick is here for life lol