Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2018/19

So the video of the devil's first day back training is out.

All the players intruduce them self's have a skate round etc too.
Any eagel eyed people spot the new player??
Im not sure he was there but thought I would ask.

What an amazing video it was as well.

terry hunt

Just a little gentle stirring.
Todays news on the Devils site says"4 new faces will play against Nottingham on the weekend".
Other statements from the Devils say the new signings will be introduced after training on Wednesday the 8th.They have also said one more signing to be announced.
Does this mean our last new player has not arrived yet?
Having a try out in a higher league maybe or is it a well known player returning?
I have no inside knowledge of the Devils recruiting nor am i an insider.
Just a thought for today.

I haven’t stepped foot in IAW since the end of last season. For those who have, is there any sign of increased Devils branding in the arena or bar?
Todd mentioned on his Q&A the other day on Twitter that he had just come out of a 2 hour meeting with Dragon signs talking about branding around the arena and what could be done and when I questioned him on the corners of the scoreboard he said he was working on that as well so I know it’s not done yet but I should think we will start to see some improvements over the next couple of weeks.

That’s the drawback when you sign up players then attempt to drip feed them over a period of weeks.
None of the new players were a complete surprise when announced because it’s just too difficult to keep their identities under wraps for weeks at a time.
Don’t get me wrong, they’re all great signings but the element of surprise wasn’t there. I get it that the club say that they don’t want to show their hand too early to their rivals, but their rivals are also employing the same
tactics!
Usually when employing these tactics, you save the best til last in an attempt to ‘trump’ the others. As great a prospect as Parisi undoubtedly is, he isn’t the ‘trump card’, that surely goes to Linglet.
I think that the last d-man slot was left til last just to keep people guessing about the intentions and whereabouts of Hotham, as he’s always been our final announcement and each season has proved to be
THE ‘trump card’ across the league.
Let’s not saddle Parisi, if it is indeed him with being Hothams replacement as I believe that to be Fournier with Parisi getting a much more offensive role than he got at Laval and St Johns.
Without the burden of expectancy to be Andrew Hotham I believe Tom Parisi (if indeed it is him) could be a great addition on the blueline.

d20

People will need to forget the new D'man being a straight Hotham replacement and bringing in points ,he wont be and is not we have uploaded on Linglet,Dixon and Hedden to do that job and who will no doubt give us more points gaining any we lost with Hotham,these guys look big upgrades.

august04

If Parisi has signed, it’s a strange marketing strategy not to announce him by now, when we’re trying to sell pre-season/CHL tickets as well as late season tickets. I’m wondering whether he was due to be that recent 4pm Sunday signing, which after a big build up, was Piggott (no disrespect meant by that comment by the way). Maybe his signing fell through?

RedDevil17

What has happened to Spiro Goulakos the Belfast beast its not him coming to Cardiff is it?
I hope so, I’d happily take Goulakos here, he’s a brilliant player and probably the closest we can get to Hotham in terms of offensive ability. He’s pretty good defensively too and has a bullet of a shot. Only problem is can Lord keep him on a leash? If he can then he’d be awesome for us. 56 points for a D man in a very good Belfast team is good if you ask me, especially for a D man. Everytime he played against us I was always fearful every time he got the puck. He could be the perfect agitator too which we’ve desperately needed for a while. Parisi would be my first choice but if Goulakos was a plan B in case Parisi didn’t join then he’d be a good signing for me and one I’d be heavily satisfied with. Paul Phillips from MK is also a good option

Last edited:

jenks33

I wonder what’s happened with this last defenceman. As others have said it looks like Parisi might have pulled out of the move. Surely the plan wasn’t to replace Hotham, Strachan and Paris with only one defenceman in Blood.

jenks33

Dee Dee

Could this be the case?
I just don’t think we would put ourselves under that kind of pressure from the off. Our biggest challengers will all have three solid D pairings and I think it would be a huge mistake to go with 5 D and use Batch and Moore as cover. I’m sure we did sign another D Man (probably Parisi) and it’s probably fallen through. I assume we’re just taking our time to fill that last spot. After all there’s still 3 weeks until the first competitive game