Riley called up to Spengler Cup

The_Puck

Thread starter #1
Riley has been called up to the Spengler Cup which means he will miss the rest of the games this calendar year. Massive congratulations to him as it will be an honour for him to represent his country. Just a shame as we will miss him these next few games.

ASHIPP

Congratulations to Blair. Its an honour and a fantastic experience for him. The timing isn't great because Devils have some tough games coming up. Hope the Devils can adapt temporarily.

pjj365

Mixed feelings obviously but congratulations to Blair Riley.
I wonder how it works? Who is watching whom to get to a situation where he is selected for the Spengler Cup?
Obviously don't know the answer to this
BUT
Todd has tweeted HC Men thanking them for keeping an eye on the EIHL. Can only be good across the board if they are this interested
Also, must be a plus for future recruitment - play in the UK and you will not be forgotten just because you are young and below NHL or Team Canada standard

doron

good for him and its nice that the Devils acknowledged themselves, this is an opportunity too good to turn down for Blair Riley, hope he has a good tournament.

jimmy snels

massive congratulations to him. Great stuff. Brilliant for the devils to be recognised as a place on the hockey map.

I also would love to know how its picked. id suggest dixon was our form player right now so any ideas why it was Riley (who dont get me wrong is a strong player for us)?

James

Administrator
Obviously don't know the answer to this
BUT
Todd has tweeted HC Men thanking them for keeping an eye on the EIHL. Can only be good across the board if they are this interested
Also, must be a plus for future recruitment - play in the UK and you will not be forgotten just because you are young and below NHL or Team Canada standard
Team Canada for the Spengler is usually made up of Canadians playing in Europe NHL players rarely get a look in as they are midseason themselves.

pjj365

Team Canada for the Spengler is usually made up of Canadians playing in Europe NHL players rarely get a look in as they are midseason themselves.
I wasn't suggesting NHL players could be considerd but making the point that the EIHL is now being watched for the contribution it can make to HC Men
It sends a message that the EIHL is now truly part of European hockey adding another incentive to players considering leaving Canada

Devils86

Without wanting to sound like a complete moron: have their been previous Brit-based players selected before?

It does seem quiet across the league. I could imagine the Devils coming out and congratulating a former player for being selected, or even a player completed unconnected to the Devils. Classy thing to do

Last edited:

pjj365

Without wanting to sound like a complete moron: have their been precious Brit-based players selected before?

It does seem quiet across the league. I could imagine the Devils coming out and congratulating a former player for being selected, or even a player completed unconnected to the Devils. Classy thing to do
There have been 3 selected according to THF but none actually played

Temme

This is a big blow to us for the time that he's out.

However, this is absolutely massive for the EIHL as has been said above & who knows, may help us with our recruitment long term, no doubt at all that these guys talk heavily about their leagues and what the countries are like.

As much as this hurts us in the short term it is massively beneficial for the Devils & also the league!!!