Request for Fan Meeting

Thread starter #1
Mods I appreciate this is tied in with the Ragan thread, but I believe a meeting with fans is crucial and worthy of it's own thread.

I won't dwell on the pros and cons of Ragan's decision as that is for the other thread, but I do believe this could be very positive or very negative for the Devils depending on the intentions of the owner.

The press release says most of the right things, but the key issue for Devils fans is the uncertainty (quite rightly exagerated because of the very fresh memories of the BP Sheffield takeover) and this uncertainty will only truly be put to rest if Ragan holds a meeting with Devils fans.

I don't blame Ragan for his decision - he is a businessman and has made a business decision.

However, this decision has highlighted how fragile top flight hockey in Cardiff (and probably all Elite league cities) is - ie without Ragan's support we wouldn't have any. And, this is no doubt what is worrying for Devils fans. If he decides to bail, the Devils could be no more by the end of this season.

That is why I believe it is crucial a meeting is called asap. Like I said, this takeover could be a positive for the Devils, but the trust of the Devils fan base needs to be 'sured-up' immediately.

TheStub

Re: Re: Request for Fan Meeting

Wannabe2 said:
Who,s to say that the fans wont be kept up to speed tonight folks.
At a game, that will be poor show. I'm not interested in a statement, I want a good hour or two to ask questions and discuss.

Not too much to ask.

Thread starter #7
I agree with the stub on this one (shock horror having started the thread :lol: )

An interview during the game wouldn't be what's required in this instance (unless it's to tell us there will be a fan meeting)

I actually feel quite positive about this whole thing, but I and most fans IMO won't be fully convinced until Paul Ragan says to our faces he will stick by the Devils.

It's of course testament to his excellent work so far that people are worried about the thought of him walking away.

Wannabe2

Hopefully that will happen my friend, but due to the fact this has only been announced today, and Xmas is on us, i would expect that to happen very soon, in the meantime surely this is better than nought, otherwise as usual on here, your doomed if you do, and your doomed if you dont. Still think myself we are all making too big a deal out of something we all know diddly squat about at the mo.

Thread starter #9
Wannabe2 said:
Hopefully that will happen my friend, but due to the fact this has only been announced today, and Xmas is on us, i would expect that to happen very soon, in the meantime surely this is better than nought, otherwise as usual on here, your doomed if you do, and your doomed if you dont. Still think myself we are all making too big a deal out of something we all know diddly squat about at the mo.
I'm in danger of repeating myself from the other thread so apologies :D

Don't get me wrong I'm pleased the club will be saying something at the game tonight. However, I'm sure this annoucement has been planned for a while so really a meeting with fans should have been organised prior to the takeover announcement. Hopefully we'll hear details tonight.

Regarding the bit I've highlighted - that's exactly why a meeting needs to be sorted out asap. As I've said I'm one of the few staying postive on this at the moment, but I still have doubts. A meeting would benefit the club as much as the fans IMO.

Speaking at the rink this evening Paul Ragan's words were "I'm not going anywhere" in regards to owning the Devils. Stated again that each team with have same budget, etc.

TheStub

cardiffdevil said:
To be honest after listening to him talk tonight I wouldnt go to a meeting, he has more than reassured me
You must be a great employee.

Personally I was reassured, but still would welcome an open Q&A session. A lot of what he said raised more questions with me.

I'm sorry, but I spend my life in a world of analysis and debate. I can't turn that off.

Rempel16

TheStub said:
cardiffdevil said:
To be honest after listening to him talk tonight I wouldnt go to a meeting, he has more than reassured me
You must be a great employee.

Personally I was reassured, but still would welcome an open Q&A session. A lot of what he said raised more questions with me.

I'm sorry, but I spend my life in a world of analysis and debate. I can't turn that off.
So do I, and I didn't see reason to question any of what he said.
What did he say that raised more questions?

He was pretty clear in his long-term ambition for the league and all that's left to ask is whether the rumours going round the rink last night were true?

Most of what is left to say from PR is quite frankly info that he wouldn't be able to divulge.

I agree with Soundwave. The announcement of the Q&A session prior to the takeover announcement would have been a better process.

DevilDom

I think this would be a really good idea if its done correctly.

Maybe if it was held with a limited number of fans reps would be a good idea.

TheStub

I'm the sort of person who always has questions. Call it the problem with being a professional engineer - I can't help but try to see the shape of things.

Overall, I would love to see regular "fan forum" type events. Get a few big wigs from the club (ice side and management side) up on a dias and take questions from a roving wireless mic in the crowd. A little co-ordination and a bit of actual discussion, you would quell a huge numbers of rumours and build a real feeling of involvement from the fans.

If it is run well, and the people asking the questions fall in the middle (not the gushers, can do no wrong gang or the equally "everything the club do is wrong" brigade) you will see some sensible discussion.

What questions did last night raise? Well:

• [*]What if the Devils don't return to profit next year?
    [*]Is this the start of expansion into other clubs?
    [*]If we are going to play to the long forgotten wage cap, what steps are going to be taken to make sure the league gains some teeth to police it?
    [*]Does he have a vision about the longer term development of the league? What is it, and do the current EPL teams fit into it?
    [*]How is the migraine after looking at all the teal and orange?

I'm not looking for a wikileaks style "tell me everything", but it would be nice to explore (not criticise or gush) some of the points he raised. It sounds like he is in the same hymn book as many of us - let's find out what song and verse he is on.

Too negative?

Rempel16

TheStub said:
  • [*]What if the Devils don't return to profit next year?
    [*]Is this the start of expansion into other clubs?
    [*]If we are going to play to the long forgotten wage cap, what steps are going to be taken to make sure the league gains some teeth to police it?
    [*]Does he have a vision about the longer term development of the league? What is it, and do the current EPL teams fit into it?
    [*]How is the migraine after looking at all the teal and orange?

Too negative?
Not negative at all and all points that perhaps do need consideration.

1) Profit - PR has already said that the Devils won't make a loss next season. His Q&A session showed why- they are a single part of one big trade name, including the Steelers. PR will budget to ensure that both branches make him money.

2) He has never publically announced that he was going for the Steelers, he doesn't seem to do his business that way and therefore I don't think this question would receive an answer either way. He did mention the importance of saving Newcastle though.

3) The wage cap issue is definitely something that needs answers, but I can't see how he could answer at this current time. This is a good point though and a question that other clubs will be asking i'm sure.

4) He answered this on the night. He wants 12, 14, 16 teams - 2 divisions ( My ideal would be north and south conference. Save travelling costs like in the NHL - play your conference teams 4 times, other conference teams twice- 42 game season with extended playoffs). He mentioned that games would be on Sky every week and his long-term ambition would be to make hockey the no.1 sport in the country.
Is that too ambitious? Probably for the time being. But with the winter we have had so far and expected for the next 10 years, outdoor sports are going to take big hits in this country with postponed games, perhaps indoor sports will become a bigger pull. Isn't hockey the most supported indoor sport in Britain?

I would expect that the question of EPL teams would be another 'no comment' answer as if there are negotiations with teams then it's not wise to put that into the public domain during either league's season.

5) Well this one certainly deserves asking! I don't know how the Sheffield folk manage to look at those jerseys game in game out without throwing up :lol:

Rempel16

Just to extend on my own 'wants' for the 2-conference system:

North
Nottingham
Sheffield
Braehead
Newcastle
Hull
Edinburgh
Dundee
Manchester

South
Cardiff
Coventry
Belfast (as they apparently fly to Heathrow for away games it would make sense for them to be in the south)
Guildford
Milton Keynes
Basingstoke
Slough
Bracknell

The playoff system could operate as it does now, with 2-legged affairs throughout each conference 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5.

Playoff weekend in Nottingham - Two Conference finals on the Saturday with the Grand Final on the Sunday- That's a total of 4 ties to win the Playoffs. (Maybe need some more thought there)

Also, I'm not sure where this leaves Swindon and Telford.

Can this system work? I think so. All teams save a lot on travelling costs and perhaps double header weekends could be utilised to play some of the other conference away trips.

8-imports with enforced wage cap. The standard of hockey would of course drop initially but would be much improved by season 3 IMO.

Rempel16

Getting obsessed now:

I missed Peterborough too!

Ok, 10 teams in each conference:

Add Fife and Peterborough to the North.
Add Swindon and Telford to the South.

Season back to 54 games. Two teams in each conference miss out on the playoffs.