Referee shirts

Thread starter #1
Can somebody please explain why some referees have red arm bands, and some (most) of them have orange?

Thanks

James

Administrator
I think all Elite refs wear orange armbands. I've seen both orange and red in the EPL, usually red. I'm not aware it signifies anything in particular though.

A bit off topic but still a query about Refs. Saves starting a new thread

Any idea who Joy Tottman is?
He's British and reffing the Womans ice hockey games at the Olympics yet i dont recall him reffing any Elite league games?
Does he ref abroad as they pay better and he's a higher standard or something?

Just curious as we could do with some higher standard refs in the league!

dave

Ivydrive said:
A bit off topic but still a query about Refs. Saves starting a new thread

Any idea who Joy Tottman is?
He's British and reffing the Womans ice hockey games at the Olympics yet i dont recall him reffing any Elite league games?
Does he ref abroad as they pay better and he's a higher standard or something?

Just curious as we could do with some higher standard refs in the league!

Joy is a female official who mainly does EPL and other EIHA games.
She used to Line ISL/Elite leagues games a few years ago.

dave

BBW said:
Can somebody please explain why some referees have red arm bands, and some (most) of them have orange?

Thanks

Upto a few years ago the arm bands were Red then manufactures changed to Orange.

All Elite league officials are supplied shirts so all have the same jerseys with orange bands.

If you watch some EIHA games (ENL, Juniors, Ladies etc) you will see some of the referees wear Red. This is because they have not brought a new shirt as they are not supplied jerseys by the EIHA and have to buy all their equipment etc.

Jones72

BBW said:

Thanks
It's like the martial arts belt system.

The armbands change colour as they progress through successive levels of "rubbish"-ness.

Hicksy and Darnell are going for the black (and fully expect to get them by the end of the season).