Red Bull Salzburg Vs Devils -Thu 6th Sept 2018 / 7:30pm (CEST) - CHL

mjh

Took way too many penalties early on and some sloppy play at the back. Disappointed the team didn’t seem to get going until the game was already away from them. Hedden looked good all game long and think he’ll be a star this year. Linglet showed some good moves too. Ulmer is consistenly scoring and it’s nowhere near Christmas! Someone wrote that Blood was an upgrade on Strachan but I just don’t see it. Think Blood skates well but Strachan was such a solid and calming influence. Would have been good to have both on the roster. Still think we’re looking good for the league though.

I'm not slating the callouts against Bownsey (I promise!), since I understand the concern, but I think it's early days yet to be writing him off. He's come off the back of a killer season, where he was voted best netminder in the league again, and was instrumental in getting GB into the best league in the world. I agree that his work this season hasn't been great, but we know he's capable of more and has more than earned the benefit of the doubt for a while yet, in my opinion.

Mooney#16

Another battling performance full of character from Devils and whilst Bownsy isn’t stealing us any games at the moment apart from 1 goal there’s not a whole load you can fault him for. Devils yet again suffered from getting there defensive zone coverage pulled to pieces by Salzberg’s Movement and energetic fore check and they coughed up some A grade chances in the slot. The bit that I didn’t like was the puck management and it was really at odds to the Bern home game. Devils gave away far to much possession themselves by throwing pucks into areas of the ice they didn’t need because they didn’t work there legs in battles and to get open as outlets for each other. Good thing is you take this for what it is in so much as the best learning curve you can have leading into the domestic season and having these lessons rammed down the players throats is nothing g but a good thing and no reason for concern.

Johnnybravo1927

Bowns is a very good netminder we are lucky to have. He is however having a bad run but he will get over that. Whilst its not the best time to have a blip, its not like we were ever going to win the CHL anyway

august04

As it was back in the ISL days, I think this league is now getting to the stage where you need two top goaltenders to share duties if needed, or be confident in putting your back up in when the starter is struggling. Lord seems reluctant to take Bowns out when he’s off his game, which I get. There are 60 league games, never mind everything else which must take it beyond 80, and for me that’s a lot for one goalie to take as much share of the games that Bowns does, when you can’t afford to take a night off given the competitiveness and prominence of the league championship in our game. Does Lord trust Murdy to take a bigger portion of those games or at some point do we look at an import netminder to push and perhaps ease the burden off Bowns? I have no doubt he will come good but his form hasn’t been great so far and we’re arguably already out of the CHL when 2 wins against Salzburg could have made all the difference (and in both winnable games, their netminding was far superior). My ambition for our great club is to progress from these CHL groups (as Nottingham showed is possible) and increase our European reputation, even if we can’t win it. And to do that you can’t afford a slow start to the season from both netminders. A difficult one given how good Bowns has been this past few years but it looks hard work for him (and Murdy in his limited appearance so far) at the moment.

So, it seems the knives are well and truly out again and Bowns has taken over from Reddick as the scapegoat. To coin a phrase from above maybe I’ll get slated here, but for me lazy people who know nothing at all about the position jump on the goalie’s back. It’s always an easy blame and I’ve noticed often the people slating both nms rarely comment on good games / wins.
I read on Twitter this week that Bowns hasn’t played in Europe and doesn’t have the experience some of the players do, the implication being that makes him the weak link. But many players have struggled to score and even create chances. I’ve also read a lot about how Herzog was the difference. Indeed, after the first game Bowns stood up and shouldered the blame, he took the flack and kudos to him for doing that, but hockey is a team sport and a win or loss isn’t down to one person.
Rarely do Bowns or Murdy take penalties, which tonight caused 2 of the goals and have made the job in all the games much harder. Devils continue to screen their own net but rarely screen the opposition nm. On the few occasions they tried to screen in the home game they actually saved the shot, but on way too many occasions the opposition nms have a clear look at the shots coming in, Paul Adey commented on this tonight. Also, particularly tonight, Salzburg D were the first to the rebounds Herzog gave out and the better team at blocking shots. And again, just my opinion, but some of Devils sog were not the best. Several when the nm was beaten missed the net. But luck wasn’t on the Devil’s side either, Hedden hit the cross bar, several shots were just wide etc.
Many people have agreed that Devils have not been clinical enough in front of net, maybe if they had been more clinical then Herzog wouldn’t have looked so good. Maybe also if they get the puck out of the zone then there wouldn’t be so many chances. But despite this people are still blaming just Bowns, for me that’s a strange one.
IMHO the main difference in the games was both teams Devils played have been clinical, screened the nm very well and taken good, accurate, hard, first time, quick shots. Devils haven’t done any of those things as well as their opposites and the number of shots missed from in front of the net were probably the real difference. It makes the opposition nm’s life much easier. Also Lord in his interview said they were slow out of the blocks and in general they seemed the quicker team.
That said, I personally feel Devils have matched both teams at points in the games, I just wonder if the CHL has come too early for them, injuries in the friendlies and losing a d man haven’t helped preparation. It’s also not beyond the realms of possibility that Bowns is injured, he has played some absolute blinders in the past where very few people had no idea he was carrying serious injuries. Time will tell.
And just a final point, tonight, Devils were outshot, particularly for periods 1&2, Bowns kept them in the game. He made more saves than Herzog overall and I would argue had to make the harder saves in all the games. Just a different perspective but I find it strange that people rush to praise opposition nms and rush to slate their own.

RedDevil17

Bowns is a very good netminder we are lucky to have. He is however having a bad run but he will get over that. Whilst its not the best time to have a blip, its not like we were ever going to win the CHL anyway
He’s good but we can certainly upgrade on him next season with an import goalie or just sign a rotation netminder like Mark Dekanich at some point to give Bowns a rest. For me we should’ve signed Swindlehurst or O’Connor in the summer during the offseason. I still don’t think our D is stable enough so that’s where Swindlehurst would’ve come in handy. 6’4 tall D man who can play. I just think Reddick is just too small to be a D man and gets outmuscled a lot through no fault of his own, he just needs to bulk up a bit! Hopefully Bowns gets over this blip fast because we can’t have him underperforming throughout the season if we are to retain the league title.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

Why would O’ Connor come here, we couldn’t offer him what he was offered. And he would choose Sheffield over us 8 days a week.

Rich Best

I thought we played very well tonight. Fine margins could have made a difference. Bownsey let one weak one in, but made a LOT of saves and generally looked solid. Don't know why people are criticising him and calling for an import goalie! Most important player on our team so let's get behind him. He'll come good, always does. We are in good shape.

Devils86

I don’t think people have the knives out for Bownsy or are hating...it’s all reasoned opinion. Nothing personal and every Devil knows how good Bownsy has been for us and can continue to be for us at domestic level.

For me I don’t think you can blame a netminder for all our issues in the CHL.

They have been slow starters to most of the pre season and European games such as the second poprad home match where we sit too deep early on and invite pressure , a couple of Lucky deflections or breakaway one on one goals in the slot has proved very costly at European level. Can't fault the work ethic and how despite putting themselves under the cosh there's playmakers like Ulmer and hedden to work the opposite net and scrap for the loose pucks. Looking at the goals scored Cardiff gave really had to scrap for theirs slapping it in while Salzburg and Been were often well placed wrist shots. If we had the finishing of Salzburg despite being caught out in defence the Devils would have won atleast two of the three games. Really enjoying the class of this European competition. #Hotterthanhell

Rich Best

I don’t think people have the knives out for Bownsy or are hating...it’s all reasoned opinion. Nothing personal and every Devil knows how good Bownsy has been for us and can continue to be for us at domestic level.

For me I don’t think you can blame a netminder for all our issues in the CHL.
The 'hate' word wasn't used, but there are posts here where people have given an opinion that we should sign an import goalie as well or instead of bownsey. That opinion to me is a little over the top given what bownsey has done for us over the last 4 years and also the fact that we are so early in the season.

I don't know if bownsey reads this but as confidence is such a key part of being a goalie, I think we as fans should get behind him or at least not overreact to the point where we are suggesting signing an import goalie...

Kevlar68

At some point in any sports persons career they will have a dip in form for one reason or another and maybe Bowns is having his time now unfortunately but i'm sure he will come good for us in the end. Way to early to write a player off and look how we started last season but see where we ended up. Couldn't fault the team.

Rich Best

At some point in any sports persons career they will have a dip in form for one reason or another and maybe Bowns is having his time now unfortunately but i'm sure he will come good for us in the end. Way to early to write a player off and look how we started last season but see where we ended up. Couldn't fault the team.
I agree with you Kevlar but I still don't see a significant dip in form from bownsey. I personally think he (and the team) started slower last year (10-1 against davos then I can't rember the scoreline in the second game).

You can either look at the goals he has conceded or the 35+ saves he made last night (for instance), away from home against quality competition.

All opinions, it is interesting how people perceive things differently.

I think we all agree we have a great team this year and we have matched or dominated Salzburg and Bern for long periods in each of the 3 games. Play like this or even up another level once we gel further and we will be a real handful this year.

One thing I have noticed is that the systems look so very organised, so this group are obviously buying into what lordo is saying very early.

Rempel16

Swindlehurst
The same Swindlehurst that has had 4 elite league teams in as many seasons? The same Swindlehurst who's parents knock on the coaches door to ask why their son isn't being given enough ice time?
This obsession with O'Connor too- I suggest you go back and watch games involving him. Yes he scored points but actually he was at fault for a lot of goals against because he's simply not that good a d-man.
It's all well and good criticizing Bowns, who I actually believe to not be at fault last night and looks better than the rest of the imports in the league again this year, but at least put some thought into how the roster can be balanced out by replacing him.

I think this stick with Bowns is a bit much at this point of the season. Yes, he has let in a few goals that I image he want's to take back. Yes he does look a little out of his depth at times but the rest of the team is also at blame for not making the chances and scoring goals - some that should have been finished (Martin's 1v1).
We came close to a few last night (Linglet hitting the bar etc) but I do think we're a little out of our depth. Some players looked really comfortable with the fast play but a few looked lost and a lot slower chasing and closing down Salzburg.

tim78

The games I watched Bowns appears to not be as settled in net just yet, but simply stepping back and looking at the amount of saves he's performed against quality teams says it all. He is a top goalie, the expectation of performing a miracle save every shot is just how high the fans subconsciously have of him.

There is a high believe we can get through this CHL stage but we're in there competing and Lord has stated that the first period needs to be polished. As disappointing some are it's so far been excellent hockey and it's still the first week of Sept ;).

James

Administrator
Thread starter #39
The games I watched Bowns appears to not be as settled in net just yet, but simply stepping back and looking at the amount of saves he's performed against quality teams says it all.
I think thats the key here. Bowns seems to be having to make more saves, against a better opposition. We lost a key part of our expected defensive when Parisi went home.