Reaching for characteristics...

Devils86

Thread starter #1
Incredibly incendiary topic so need to phrase carefully.

It really hacks me off when people on social media revert to 'don't pick on me because of XYZ' which often have nothing to do with anything.

ISTR some away fans using the same tactic to try and stir up trouble/get attention a few months back.

For example (and I should say I have no knowledge of the issue this account originally commented about and then apologised for):

From Twitter -
"Held our hands up to getting something wrong but Twitter has gone beyond toxic to downright nasty and abusive recently. Inboxing a female fan with threats of violence isn’t what we created this account for so it’s time for a little social media detox. Take care all x"

No place for abuse, obviously. Fully agree 99% of this tweet. But why reference the 'female' part? Take the female out and the tweet is just as effective.

The account (Out of Context Steelers or something) does not specify gender or name in the title - like mine, Devils86. And unless the abuse is because the poster is female then I struggle so see why bring gender into it?

Even if the abuse was gender related what it actually does is attempt to use 'female' as a shield, as if it's a weakness to hide behind - truly bizarre and goes against any forward thinking view.

A more extreme hypothetical example would be to suddenly exclaim in response that people shouldn't abuse a wheelchair user on social media - when the abuse has nothing to do with that and people may not even know...

E.g. 1 - "You're an idiot thinking that call was correct, clearly he dived"

2 - "Makes you feel good to call a female wheelchair user an idiot does it?!"

Extreme fictitious OTT example of course but: There's no place for abuse full stop. Not just because of a characteristic.

Maybe it's like BLM and I'm missing the point that female social media users get more abuse (even when their accounts are gender neutral). Re-reading this post I do acknowledge I sound a little 'but all lives matter' when making the point that abuse is wrong. The difference is that BLM applies where there's knowledge of race - I don't think one could claim protection for a characteristic that you don't make public...

I do see more people reverting to this identity politics to try and win personalized arguments when they start losing the point. The more oft overheard 'think your a big man for picking on a 17-year old girl' type thing...

It just sounds like a self own. 'Don't pick on me because I'm young and this is my gender' - when they want to be treated like an adult but then bail when they lose an argument.

Anyway, I think I'm getting old and grumpy.

And as I said above - I don't know what the poster I quoted got wrong on Twitter and I'm sure the abusive reactions they received were not warranted - if they ever could be.