Random question on old Trophies

kingmo19.1

Pad 3 aka the Secret Kingdom of Viola.

If you interrogate the building plans, you’ll see it!

But like Diafol said - first rule of Pad 3 is nobody talks about Pad3 ok!

Wannabe2

What I don’t understand is that Cardiff Council was apparently granted £16 Million of European funding for the sports village, but it had to contain Water, Snow, and Ice. Water being the Pool, and the White water rafting, Ice being the Rink, and Snow being the Snow Dome. So how does 2 out of 3 work. The pool would have been covered by the sale of the land where the Empire pool was, The rink would have been covered by the sale of the land to the holy John Lewis, although Greenbank had to pay for the rink to get the housing contract for the bay, which was £17 million, so we still have £16 Million European funding, and still no Snow Dome.

You're absolutely correct about the snow, water and ice condition. It's entirely feasible that the condition may have been subsequently varied - I hasten to add that I have no inside knowledge on this, but from a legal perspective the parties may have agreed to alter the condition. I'd like to see the area become more of a sporting and leisure destination, rather than be filled with high density housing. Commuting between Penarth and Cardiff (pre-lockdown) has become more and more time-consuming over the last 5-10 years, with the extra traffic on the roads.

BostonBart22

What I don’t understand is that Cardiff Council was apparently granted £16 Million of European funding for the sports village, but it had to contain Water, Snow, and Ice. Water being the Pool, and the White water rafting, Ice being the Rink, and Snow being the Snow Dome. So how does 2 out of 3 work. The pool would have been covered by the sale of the land where the Empire pool was, The rink would have been covered by the sale of the land to the holy John Lewis, although Greenbank had to pay for the rink to get the housing contract for the bay, which was £17 million, so we still have £16 Million European funding, and still no Snow Dome.
No doubt a little back hander to certain councillors ....

Gazr76

Thread starter #29
Random question. The original sports village which started to be discussed in the mid 1990's (i think), had plans for a bigger arena (15,000 capacity?), if I remember correctly. Had it actually happened, would this have also been located in the Cardiff Pointe area?

moggy#9

Random question. The original sports village which started to be discussed in the mid 1990's (i think), had plans for a bigger arena (15,000 capacity?), if I remember correctly. Had it actually happened, would this have also been located in the Cardiff Pointe area?
I'd thought that the area the other side of the bypass (where Asda and the retail park is), had originally been earmarked. I could have that entirely wrong though - it was a long time ago.

Wannabe2

‘The original plans for a rink down the bay, was shown to me by John Lawless many moons ago, and it was for a 5000 seater, this never came to fruition, and was going to be a replacement rink. The only talk that I know of concerning a 15,000 seater has always been for a multi purpose Arena with no ice facilities, this is still talked about now, as the council want the Motorpoint land for other purposes.