R.I.P. Boogard

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

derrick boogaard as been found dead at home aged 28 a feared fighter rip.

Such a great shame, and so very young.

ASHIPP

A player who had a reputation as one of the toughest in the NHL. Although part of the NYR organisation, he had played several seasons with Minnesota. Craig (Weller) would certainly have known him.
Very sad to read this news. :(

As a Wild fan (and huge Boogaard fan) I was really upset to read this, the guy was a great fighter and seemed to have all the time in the world for fans and charities

A terrible shame for someone so talented and young to get taken away too early...

Larry Brooks of the NY Post has tweeted this:

Post has learned that Derek Boogaard was receiving counseling through NHL/NHLPA Behavorial Health/Substance Abuse Program at time of death.

Regarded as one of the most fearless, toughest, men in the NHL, Derek Boogaard(notes) was an enforcer, or fighter, in the NHL.

But what does that mean?

Standing at 6' 7" tall, 265 lbs, Boogaard was, basically, known as a bully on ice. The role of 'enforcer' on a hockey team, as I've been told, is to to react particularly harshly to violence against star players or goalies. It's to keep the opposing team honest.

The way I'm told, an enforcer is something every NHL hockey team needs in order to be a legit contender.

But did I miss something? Wouldn't rules do the same? Couldn't we 'enforce' these purposes nonviolently?

"You cannot punch someone repeatedly in the face," is a reasonable rule, I think. It's a common guideline that every sport in some way, shape, or form, (except for boxing and MMA) has in place. Even with combat sports, the fighters wear gloves. In hockey, you 'take your gloves off'.

Why does hockey get this allowance? In real life, if you walk outside—right now—and attempt to assault someone with your bare fists, you will be facing battery or assault charges, and will be in jail, at least one night.

These guys get a 'five-minute major', which is, essentially, the same five-minute timeout your mother gave you when your were six.

Hockey is a violent sport, as it is. Why is it necessary to now bash someone's brains in, in retaliation, or in anger?

What happens when you let anger's reaction have a reason to explode? ESPN's Matthew Barnaby knows.

Why is, for the most part, fighting accepted by fans in hockey, but in the NBA whenever there are disagreements, they're nothing but 'ghetto thugs'?

Is there a double standard in sports in favor of hockey? The NFL doesn't allow fights. Neither does the MLB. I don't get the dynamic, and frankly, I hate it.

There is no need for fighting in sports, or in life. Hitting someone, in anger, with your bare hand, isn't permitted anywhere but the NHL and we accept it.

Boogaard ran a hockey fighting class in 2007. When the class drew some heat, Boogaard insisted he wasn't teaching kids how to hurt each other, but rather how to protect themselves so they don't get hurt on the ice.

Boogaard's final game was Dec. 9 at Ottawa when he fought Matt Carkner(notes) and sustained a concussion and shoulder injury.

While foul-play isn't suspected, the police department's homicide unit and the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office are investigating. It's said that results probably will not be released for at least two weeks.

Maybe this incident, if indeed contributed to a death in the NHL, will force the league to look into this portion of the game.

Vincent Heck is a life long resident of the Philadelphia area, and is a Philadelphia sports freelance writer.

steve

penguin - unfortunately that article doesn't break our rules so i'm not going to remove it. however, that has got to be the biggest pile of self righteous, speculative, poorly timed piece of :shock: i've ever read. i'm all up for debate on violence in hockey, but cashing in on his death, and even suggesting his fighting career and death are somehow linked is ridiculous based on the facts so far.

voth26

Penguin13 said:
Regarded as one of the most fearless, toughest, men in the NHL, Derek Boogaard(notes) was an enforcer, or fighter, in the NHL.

But what does that mean?

Standing at 6' 7" tall, 265 lbs, Boogaard was, basically, known as a bully on ice. The role of 'enforcer' on a hockey team, as I've been told, is to to react particularly harshly to violence against star players or goalies. It's to keep the opposing team honest.

The way I'm told, an enforcer is something every NHL hockey team needs in order to be a legit contender.

But did I miss something? Wouldn't rules do the same? Couldn't we 'enforce' these purposes nonviolently?

"You cannot punch someone repeatedly in the face," is a reasonable rule, I think. It's a common guideline that every sport in some way, shape, or form, (except for boxing and MMA) has in place. Even with combat sports, the fighters wear gloves. In hockey, you 'take your gloves off'.

Why does hockey get this allowance? In real life, if you walk outside—right now—and attempt to assault someone with your bare fists, you will be facing battery or assault charges, and will be in jail, at least one night.

These guys get a 'five-minute major', which is, essentially, the same five-minute timeout your mother gave you when your were six.

Hockey is a violent sport, as it is. Why is it necessary to now bash someone's brains in, in retaliation, or in anger?

What happens when you let anger's reaction have a reason to explode? ESPN's Matthew Barnaby knows.

Why is, for the most part, fighting accepted by fans in hockey, but in the NBA whenever there are disagreements, they're nothing but 'ghetto thugs'?

Is there a double standard in sports in favor of hockey? The NFL doesn't allow fights. Neither does the MLB. I don't get the dynamic, and frankly, I hate it.

There is no need for fighting in sports, or in life. Hitting someone, in anger, with your bare hand, isn't permitted anywhere but the NHL and we accept it.

Boogaard ran a hockey fighting class in 2007. When the class drew some heat, Boogaard insisted he wasn't teaching kids how to hurt each other, but rather how to protect themselves so they don't get hurt on the ice.

Boogaard's final game was Dec. 9 at Ottawa when he fought Matt Carkner(notes) and sustained a concussion and shoulder injury.

While foul-play isn't suspected, the police department's homicide unit and the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office are investigating. It's said that results probably will not be released for at least two weeks.

Maybe this incident, if indeed contributed to a death in the NHL, will force the league to look into this portion of the game.

Vincent Heck is a life long resident of the Philadelphia area, and is a Philadelphia sports freelance writer.
This has to be the biggest pile of you know what ever and is totally disrespectful to the player and his family in a difficult time he should show some respect, also get his facts right about a sport he clearly knows nothing about.

A

Anonymous

I actually think this is a valid argument :lol: