Question. King George Old Timers

Gazr76

Thread starter #1
A quick question for some of the older folks of the Cardiff Devils. Noticed on ebay a programme from the 1988 Cardiff Devils season when they played a challenge match against The King George Old Timers. Who or what was this about?

Ibbz9

Pretty sure they were a Canadien touring Rec/Old timers team and not from a recognised league. Not certain how the game was arranged or if they played other games in the UK. Played in good spirits with no real contact. At the time, the Devils would only have had 3 imports with the rest of the team made up of Brits.

Played a semi (semi/semi/semi!!!) pro team from Canada in a Challenge Game. Devils winning heavily at end of the the Second Period.

Thing I remember most our DJ (Crazy Phil?!) instructed the famous block 13 to support the Old Timers during the 3rd period and be anti-Devils.

Lots of Challenge games in the WNIR in those days as (and this is not meant as a crticism) as Johnny Lawless knew he could make good money from extra games with a Cardiff public desperate to see the sport and team still in its infancy. I remember a Czech team coming over (Telsa Puderbice or something like that!!!!) and games against Bracknell when they were newly formed.

Last edited:

Ibbz9

A certain Dominik Hasek was playing for Tesla at the time but did not play that night. Moscow Dynamo was another team with great history that came to the WNIR.

A certain Dominik Hasek was playing for Tesla at the time but did not play that night. Moscow Dynamo was another team with great history that came to the WNIR.
Now i thought he played for the last period when Pardubice were winning handsomely
His name is on the team sheet in the program

Ibbz9

I may be wrong but pretty sure he did not even dress. I was excited at the chance to watch him play as he had just been to the 88 Calgary Olympics. He was listed in the programme but never dressed or travelled.

Didn't play in that game - which was a shame as he was listed and I was also looking forward to seeing him after Calgary 88.

Didn't Brian Kanawischer actually help them out by playing some minutes in goal that night?