Potential lines?

jimmy snels

if its so bad here play elsewhere?? as he said himself its not like they earn lots of money here its about experiences etc. im firmly in the camp of he played half paced last year with little physicality, moaned too much about the fans (and is now continuing) and is very lucky to be retained. like most id rather he got his head down and played hard nosed hockey.

Rempel16

I don't get all of this hating on Pope's comment. He didn't actually come out and say that hockey fans are hooligans. He made reference to the UK culture that stems from football hooliganism.

Unfortunately, for 5% of the sporting population in the UK, he's right.

It seems like a lot of posters and social media users have made their mind up on Pope and won't budge on that. I wonder if Bowns would have had the same criticism had he made a similar reference when he spoke out. I highly doubt it.

tim78

I'll take Lordo's opinion over fans that just want to constantly criticise. Surely a more supportive fan base makes the team moral stronger. A constant whine on the forum on players is frustrating.

Pope did lag last season but is definitely a player that can raise his game, just seems a number of us are intend on making things tougher for the club we support!

Devils86

Whilst I’m a fan of Pope I don’t mind people criticising him on here - it’s all opinions. People expect debate, disagreements and criticism on here.

The problem comes when people tag players on Twitter - it’s just about being a mature responsible user of social media. I doubt he gets anybody jibing at him in person.

jenks33

Whilst I’m a fan of Pope I don’t mind people criticising him on here - it’s all opinions. People expect debate, disagreements and criticism on here.

The problem comes when people tag players on Twitter - it’s just about being a mature responsible user of social media. I doubt he gets anybody jibing at him in person.
Totally agree. I'm personally not a fan of Pope but I've got no issues with people that like him. Everyone should be allowed to give their opinions on here. It's the idiots that copy players into criticism on twitter that go too far.

I was somewhat disappointed that JD addressed this topic, as I’m not sure it helps to keep bringing up the negativity within the fanbase. Mud sticks after a while, and I’d hate to think of the club being seen in a negative light after doing so well since the new ownership in achieving the opposite!
Thankfully, these idiots are the very small minority of the fanbase. They prob won’t change as it’s in their DNA unfortunately, so why carry on giving them more publicity.
This was appropriately addressed by the club quite openly in the latter part of last season, and in my view we need to move on and focus on the huge positives this year of which again, there are many!

Finny

Personally I thought it was the best interview I've seen in a long time.

How often do we complain about players (in any sport) reading from the same old script and saying the same old things so as not to say anything confidential.

I didn't see any of the abuse Reddick got when he first came here, nor the stuff aimed at Bowns or his girlfiend (now wife). But I did actively go out and search for what Pope was being sent and it was deeply offensive. It would have been bad enough if it came from an opposition fan trying to put him off his game. But from so called Cardiff fans?

The odd thing is that I didn't think he was playing that badly when the abuse started. I checked his points production and it was pretty identical to his first season. It was after the abuse that his point production suddenly dropped, whereas the previous season it kicked on and he scored a goal a game for what seemed forever.

From what I heard he was injured but we couldn't rest him because of the injuries to Haddad and Mosey. Imagine playing through injury for the benefit of the team and instead of being applauded for it you get sent vile abouse via twitter.

Sadly from what has been said on twitter since his re-signing there are some fans who are waiting for him to fail and say "I told you so". The good news is Pope has been in the gym all season so hopefully any injuries he did have are behind him and he'll be able to produce the goods again.

Finny

Bringing the thread back on topic, I don't expect Pope to be in the top 6 in terms of scoring for us, but I do expect him to start the season with Linglet and Dixon. For a start they finished the season well together and it's always good to have a settled line to start the season.

Secondly, in his interview Linglet said he likes to have someone on his line who is physical and good in corners and someone who likes to shoot. Dixon would certainly fit the first description and I think Pope fits the second.

Based on who we've signed so far I'd say the line-up would be:

(Benti?) - Martin - Riley
Linglet - Dixon - Pope
Marjamaki - McNamee - Haddad
Batch - Myers - Duggan

Although I've also played with the idea of spreading the Brits throughout the lineup to have 4 lines that can all threaten goals.

Gazza272

Although I've also played with the idea of spreading the Brits throughout the lineup to have 4 lines that can all threaten goals.
The beauty of having Duggan is that he is going to really threaten anyone on the top 3 units not producing. The competition for ice time in our forward ranks is going to be fierce.

Thread starter #30
The beauty of having Duggan is that he is going to really threaten anyone on the top 3 units not producing. The competition for ice time in our forward ranks is going to be fierce.
Definitely, IMO if Duggan starts the season well and Pope doesn’t perform as expected we could see him jump up to the 2nd line. Would give him tons of experience playing with Dixon and Linglet.

Ocko

How often do we complain about players (in any sport) reading from the same old script and saying the same old things so as not to say anything confidential.

I didn't see any of the abuse Reddick got when he first came here, nor the stuff aimed at Bowns or his girlfiend (now wife). But I did actively go out and search for what Pope was being sent and it was deeply offensive. It would have been bad enough if it came from an opposition fan trying to put him off his game. But from so called Cardiff fans?

The odd thing is that I didn't think he was playing that badly when the abuse started. I checked his points production and it was pretty identical to his first season. It was after the abuse that his point production suddenly dropped, whereas the previous season it kicked on and he scored a goal a game for what seemed forever.

From what I heard he was injured but we couldn't rest him because of the injuries to Haddad and Mosey. Imagine playing through injury for the benefit of the team and instead of being applauded for it you get sent vile abouse via twitter.

Sadly from what has been said on twitter since his re-signing there are some fans who are waiting for him to fail and say "I told you so". The good news is Pope has been in the gym all season so hopefully any injuries he did have are behind him and he'll be able to produce the goods again.
I never really got the argument that Pope was playing that badly. He wasn’t the standout clutch guy of the team every time he got the puck but he had his moments.

I think everyone would have a very different view of MP if he would’ve punched a few people in the face. Because he fought Cam Jansen about 10 years ago people expect it of him for some reason, despite is being his only ever fight and he’s what 34. It’s clearly not his game .

august04

Both Pope and the club quite forcefully and rightly had their say on this matter last season and were absolutely correct in criticising the level of personal abuse that was received. But why bring it up again? The season hasn’t started, everyone is in a positive frame of mind and looking forward to the new season. It just seems unnecessary to me. If it happens again, then yes, highlight it again. But we’ve been there, done that and it’s time to move on. He has a contract, just do your talking on the ice. That’s the best way to answer such comments.

ASHIPP

Pope was a divisive player last year - we saw glimpses of the player he should have been but guessing he was moved to other lines/changed his role to try to manage his injuries and confidence issues. He took time adapting and building chemistry whilst other players were also playing through injury....but playing consistently. He was criticised by a portion of the fanbase. Given the skill level of other forwards in the group and then looking at his inconsistency last season, would be surprised to see him partnered with anyone on the top two lines.

Lord obviously feels this player could turn it around with some hard work. Pope has been given another opportunity to really demonstrate his ability here - let's hope he starts the season all guns blazing and continues working hard to show what he can contribute.

CaldicotDevil

I never really got the argument that Pope was playing that badly. He wasn’t the standout clutch guy of the team every time he got the puck but he had his moments.

I think everyone would have a very different view of MP if he would’ve punched a few people in the face. Because he fought Cam Jansen about 10 years ago people expect it of him for some reason, despite is being his only ever fight and he’s what 34. It’s clearly not his game .
Didn’t Pope & Riley have a fight in his first season?? Think Pope reacted to a Connelly dirty hit, Connelly turtled and Riley stepped in to help his teammate and fought Pope.

terry hunt

I am amazed at all the rubbish going on here before the season has started.After a great summit that bodes well for next season our owners will be reading this stuff.Why is Donovan doing this?.Surely we need to see what our players do next season before criticising.
Has Donovan got a personal issue with this player?

jenks33

I am amazed at all the rubbish going on here before the season has started.After a great summit that bodes well for next season our owners will be reading this stuff.Why is Donovan doing this?.Surely we need to see what our players do next season before criticising.
Has Donovan got a personal issue with this player?
I’m guessing you haven’t seen the interview? John Donovan did absolutely nothing wrong. He just asked him a question, there was no goading or anything.

Thread starter #38
I’m guessing you haven’t seen the interview? John Donovan did absolutely nothing wrong. He just asked him a question, there was no goading or anything.
I also feel that John likely asked the club what he could and couldn’t say. I’m sure Todd and Lordo would not of let this happen if it would of caused unrest

zoesdevil

Bringing the thread back on topic, I don't expect Pope to be in the top 6 in terms of scoring for us, but I do expect him to start the season with Linglet and Dixon. For a start they finished the season well together and it's always good to have a settled line to start the season.

Secondly, in his interview Linglet said he likes to have someone on his line who is physical and good in corners and someone who likes to shoot. Dixon would certainly fit the first description and I think Pope fits the second.

Based on who we've signed so far I'd say the line-up would be:

(Benti?) - Martin - Riley
Linglet - Dixon - Pope
Marjamaki - McNamee - Haddad
Batch - Myers - Duggan

I'd pick the same lines but swap Haddad with Pope until Pope can show the form he started last season with!

Devils86

It’s a damned if you do and damned if you don’t for JD. Interviewing Pope the issue is bound to come up and if he doesn’t ask the question people will accuse him (& Pope/Devils) of ducking the issue.

There were a couple bits of his answer that I felt he didn’t need to say or could have re-worded but that’s hardly JDs fault!