Linglet Dixon Pope
Masi McNamee Haddad
Batchy Myers Duggan

Fournier Louis
? ?
? ?

Bownsy
?
Seems a very, very strong side to me, just need to sign a few more decent D men (Reddick and Richie ) and we’ll be competing for the title again

Devil94

I would agree with that, spot on. Obviously we don't know where Batchy will be, maybe with Mosey out that would have changed Lord's original plan for Josh.

If we can get an out and out sniper on that left wing for the first line to go with Marty's passing and Rileys size then we're looking very good. But would also be happy with Benti.

Got a lot of size in our forwards this year.

Thread starter #4
No chance Pope will start the season on the 2nd line in my opinion. He might end up there if he’s playing well but he’ll be on the 3rd line for me
I agree with you, but Pope, if I remember correctly, was playing with those 2 when hedden was bumped up to the first line and maybe Lord doesn’t want to break them up as they did have good chemistry.

jenks33

I don’t think Pope’s got enough goals in his game to be on the 2nd line. Belfast’s 2nd line we’re scoring 24/25 goals last year. What did pope end on? 14? The one thing i would say about pope is he seems to be spending a lot of time in the gym this off season so hopefully he comes back hungry and in good shape

Devils86

2 more forwards to sign, and a new D man to go with Richie, Reddick and Murdy.

Batch back in D. Riley down on the Dixon line, Pope down to 3s and Haddad on 4th.

Can see Livingstone being signed as a spare again.

Devil94

I think the signing of Masi will mean no to the return of Livingstone. Similar style of player.
My guess is Morissette back as an assistant coach and spare injury cover.

tim78

Mcnamee looks like Ulmers replacement.
Blair looks to be hedden replacement.
Masi in fryna /livingston spot.

Leaves some spots for sharp shooters, Benti and Mo. Could see benti returning, not sure on Mo but he hasn't announced retirement.

Leaves 2 D which i think will be new names, i'm sure in the broadcast lord did mentioned guys wanting to comeback but it being tough on getting a spot. Though with Mosey out Reddick would be good cover.

Slartibartfast

So as we’ve got a near full team these are my predictions for the lines:
? Martin Riley
Linglet Dixon Pope
Masi McNamee Haddad
Batchy Myers Duggan

Fournier Louis
? ?
? ?

Bownsy
?
Seems a very, very strong side to me, just need to sign a few more decent D men (Reddick and Richie ) and we’ll be competing for the title again
I would guess the same. Riley was putting up similar points to Joey Martin so seems right on the first line. The Linglet line was working well at the end of last season so I think that will stay the same. Masi is good having played in the Finnish elite league and KHL but was not putting up the points that Linglet did so third line sounds about right.

august04

I don’t think Pope’s got enough goals in his game to be on the 2nd line. Belfast’s 2nd line we’re scoring 24/25 goals last year. What did pope end on? 14? The one thing i would say about pope is he seems to be spending a lot of time in the gym this off season so hopefully he comes back hungry and in good shape
Agreed. Pope is not a top 6 forward for me anymore the way the line up is coming together. Personally, I think he’s lucky to be back (second year of a 2 year deal) and instead of highlighting certain sections of the fans again (“UK hooligans type of thing”, really (?), he should have watched City in the 70/80’s!), as he did in his interview, maybe he should perform his job to the best of his ability week in, week out - and do his talking on the ice.

matbur

What did Pope say?

I would give him the benefit of doubt with regards to starting on second line, he's had a year here, time to build on that and hopefully he'll be a bit more consistent.

jenks33

Agreed. Pope is not a top 6 forward for me anymore the way the line up is coming together. Personally, I think he’s lucky to be back (second year of a 2 year deal) and instead of highlighting certain sections of the fans again (“UK hooligans type of thing”, really (?), he should have watched City in the 70/80’s!), as he did in his interview, maybe he should perform his job to the best of his ability week in, week out - and do his talking on the ice.
Yep I’m all for sticking up for yourself but there’s a time and a place. These ‘returning player’ interviews are meant to be positive. I thought John Donovan had to prompt him to say something positive about the fan base to be honest. I prefer hockey players to do their talking on the ice. Look at somebody like Bryce Reddick, he took way more criticism than pope but I don’t remember much bitching from him. He got on with his job and won a lot of fans over

voth26

I think he was right to answer the question the way he did when he was asked by JD, we as fans have a right to complain BUT not to the degree that people including some who post in here did. Some comments posted on social media were extremely personal, and as Pope said other players were abused the year before I'm sure people will remember Bryce Reddick deleting his Twitter account because of similar personal abuse, also Bowns and his partner abused last season. That's not a true fan if you stoop to a level of personal abuse aimed at a player and or his family

voth26

Yep I’m all for sticking up for yourself but there’s a time and a place. These ‘returning player’ interviews are meant to be positive. I thought John Donovan had to prompt him to say something positive about the fan base to be honest. I prefer hockey players to do their talking on the ice. Look at somebody like Bryce Reddick, he took way more criticism than pope but I don’t remember much bitching from him. He got on with his job and won a lot of fans over
If you or I had been on the end of the abuse Pope had would we honestly say how fabulous the fan base is?, every one rightly or wrongly reacts differently In situations I'm not being difficult just wondering?. It's a shame that a small minority of fans think it's acceptable to abuse players hopefully we don't see it this season.

jenks33

I think he was right to answer the question the way he did when he was asked by JD, we as fans have a right to complain BUT not to the degree that people including some who post in here did. Some comments posted on social media were extremely personal, and as Pope said other players were abused the year before I'm sure people will remember Bryce Reddick deleting his Twitter account because of similar personal abuse, also Bowns and his partner abused last season. That's not a true fan if you stoop to a level of personal abuse aimed at a player and or his family
I don’t mind him sticking up for himself I just think the interview was getting a bit awkward at one point. I’m not sure words like hooligans needed to be used. I know JD asked him the question but in my opinion these pre season interviews should be nothing but positive. It had been such a positive evening with the new signings and new kit and I just thought the pope interview soured things a bit ( yes I appreciate the interview was pre recorded)
I still say the best way for players to stick two fingers up to people is to perform on the ice. That will shut people up

jenks33

If you or I had been on the end of the abuse Pope had would we honestly say how fabulous the fan base is?, every one rightly or wrongly reacts differently In situations I'm not being difficult just wondering?. It's a shame that a small minority of fans think it's acceptable to abuse players hopefully we don't see it this season.
As you just said tho “Small minority”. Saying things like “Hooligans” and “it’s a UK thing” was unnecessary in my opinion. I can name several countries in Europe that are far more hostile than the UK when it comes to hockey. It just felt like he was talking about bloody Millwall fans at one stage!

august04

Pope has every right to defend himself and rightly slate the abusers - but he did that enough last year. Now before the season has even started, it’s being raised again (he didn’t have to answer the question). He’s just made himself a potential target again for this crap by saying stuff like it’s a “UK hooligan type of thing”. Maybe I’ve been lucky but I’ve never seen what I would term a “hooligan” in all my years watching the Devils (not off the ice anyway!). Just start the year afresh, keep your own counsel, work your nuts off and let your on ice play do the talking. Such a negative interview.

jenks33

Pope has every right to defend himself and rightly slate the abusers - but he did that enough last year. Now before the season has even started, it’s being raised again (he didn’t have to answer the question). He’s just made himself a potential target again for this crap by saying stuff like it’s a “UK hooligan type of thing”. Maybe I’ve been lucky but I’ve never seen what I would term a “hooligan” in all my years watching the Devils (not off the ice anyway!). Just start the year afresh, keep your own counsel, work your nuts off and let your on ice play fo the talking. Such a negative interview.
Spot on. Answer the question positively (even if he doesn’t mean a word) and shut those haters up next season by doing the business on the ice.