Poor Dundee

BostonBart22

Thread starter #1
Dundee 13 skaters to Guildfords 17, about time the league stepped in to allow at least 2 more players brought in to each team , end first 4 nil to flames , how can stars possibly compete, fans getting mugged and it wont end after this weekend..

matbur

I understand the thought process behind it, but these roster issues are becoming a serious problem for the league's integrity and it needs addressing.

It's not a good look - it's not fair on the fans who pay to watch and it's damaging to the league's reputation, credibility.

matbur

Yeah, I understand that was the case but there's a bigger picture. Teams are clearly disadvantaged even before the puck has been dropped. There needs to be a minimum roster requirement and flexibility to achieve that.

moggy#9

Every team should have an arrangement to bring up a number of players from the nihl. In concert with this there should be a minimum match night bench strength.

When teams have a maximum roster of barely more than 3 lines it doesn't take a genius to realise that at some point a team is going to get down to barely 2 lines. It makes the league look like an utter joke.

august04 2.0

It was an utterly ridiculous decision allegedly forced through by the “smaller” teams, the consequences of which anyone with half a brain should have seen coming. They brought this upon themselves. No sympathy whatsoever. The clubs have tarnished the quality and reputation of the EIHL with this madness, which will effect every team this year - and the fans are paying the price with a poorer on ice product. Shambolic.

moggy#9

It was an utterly ridiculous decision allegedly forced through by the “smaller” teams, the consequences of which anyone with half a brain should have seen coming. They brought this upon themselves. No sympathy whatsoever. The clubs have tarnished the quality and reputation of the EIHL with this madness, which will effect every team this year - and the fans are paying the price with a poorer on ice product. Shambolic.
Quite honestly I feel like the smaller clubs are using the small size of the league to hold the other clubs to ransom. It would be like Edinburgh or Milton Keynes trying to trying to stay in at all costs. If we had a few more viable venues it's be massive for the development of the league.

Diablo3

Every team should have an arrangement to bring up a number of players from the nihl. In concert with this there should be a minimum match night bench strength.

When teams have a maximum roster of barely more than 3 lines it doesn't take a genius to realise that at some point a team is going to get down to barely 2 lines. It makes the league look like an utter joke.
That is assuming the NIHL teams are willing to participate. They don't wan't to lose their stars either as it dilutes their product.

I'd love to see the regulations evened out between the NIHL and the EIHL, then we can have some mixed competitions and the potential of promotion / relegation. Maybe a promotion playoff with the bottom club in the EIHL in the mix But I guess that is a long way off if ever.

moggy#9

That is assuming the NIHL teams are willing to participate. They don't wan't to lose their stars either as it dilutes their product.

I'd love to see the regulations evened out between the NIHL and the EIHL, then we can have some mixed competitions and the potential of promotion / relegation. Maybe a promotion playoff with the bottom club in the EIHL in the mix But I guess that is a long way off if ever.
I'm sorry, I just don't get your comment. You worry about diluting the nihl product, but then want to drag the eihl down to that level to have inter league competitions. No thanks. The nihl is a development league and needs to be treated as such.

kettdevil1

I might be wrong but I think Dundee's problem is exacerbated by the fact that their NM did not look full fit at all on Friday. He was very slow post to post and seemed to be wincing a lot. Didn't watch the Flames game but clearly if your starting NM goes down (and you don't have Kozun....) then you are in big trouble

Ocko

Even if Dundee could bring in players, would they? I mean they’ve never run with full rosters so is this any different to their normal situation?

Diablo3

I'm sorry, I just don't get your comment. You worry about diluting the nihl product, but then want to drag the eihl down to that level to have inter league competitions. No thanks. The nihl is a development league and needs to be treated as such.
I said I'd like to see the regulations evened out, by that I mean same number of imports etc in the NIHL so its possible for teams to get promoted / relegated. Doesn't mean it would dilute the EIHL. But I doubt it will happen in my lifetime, so I guess it's moot.

moggy#9

I said I'd like to see the regulations evened out, by that I mean same number of imports etc in the NIHL so its possible for teams to get promoted / relegated. Doesn't mean it would dilute the EIHL. But I doubt it will happen in my lifetime, so I guess it's moot.
The thing with that is though that nihl are never going to approach elite league levels of imports, so they'd expect the eihl to reduce. That was my point.

To me, promotion/relgation is a non starter. If an amazing new venue comes on stream, we need them playing at the top level asap, not languishing for a year at a lower level.

While promotion/relegation might work in football or in European hockey, I don't think the sport is big enough in the UK to support that model.