Playoff Weekend

Mazzoak

After 18 months many people had to find other forms of entertainment, l hope this doesn’t impact on ticket sales across all clubs because prices are likely to rise, some may decide that the pre Covid hockey night doesn’t have the same value, experience and excitement post Covid. Which is bad, very bad for the future.....

BostonBart22

After 18 months many people had to find other forms of entertainment, l hope this doesn’t impact on ticket sales across all clubs because prices are likely to rise, some may decide that the pre Covid hockey night doesn’t have the same value, experience and excitement post Covid. Which is bad, very bad for the future.....
And brexit of course....

Wannabe2

Think most people are curious about how sales have gone, whether they are going themselves or not. Have the league shot themselves in the foot, alienating your own customers isn’t a great move whatever you are selling, and doing it when times are tough for many people is pretty dull.

kettdevil1

Interesting decision - this reminds me of the Gerad Adams days where he would always want to play the home leg first when we had a Scottish team in the playoffs.... does make sense as it means they double their travelling

Pembo

I have a sneaky feeling they are keeping powder dry and have everything crossed Panthers/Sheffield/Devils make finals weekend and can get late surge on tickets. They’re probably hoping Scottish teams/teams unlikely to sell many tickets don’t make it. I kind of hope there are a couple of surprise results in the elimination games (providing Devils not victims of an upset!) and a couple of smaller teams make it into the finals weekend & it’s half empty as might send a message to the league ahead of next season not to get complacent (Also I think it’s healthier for the league in general if it doesn’t become even more of a procession for the same big 3 every year. If you can predict the teams in finals weekend from beginning of season there’s not a lot for the other teams to play for.)

Pembo

Odds on Blaze or Stars, with flames as an outside bet to finish 6th
Stars looked like they were surging recently but seem to have fallen off again. Blaze seem the form team, I think if they beat Flames tomorrow they’ll most likely be facing Panthers. Then it’s best of the rest. Glasgow are a tricky team to judge, they seem capable of impressive results and then losing games they should win a bit like us in first half of season. I think I’d rather Stars or Flames than Clan in a knockout.

kettdevil1

Stars finish off with quite a few on the road and as has been mentioned have cooled recently, Blaze could still catch Panthers so my guess would be Clan....

Mazzoak

I have a sneaky feeling they are keeping powder dry and have everything crossed Panthers/Sheffield/Devils make finals weekend and can get late surge on tickets. They’re probably hoping Scottish teams/teams unlikely to sell many tickets don’t make it. I kind of hope there are a couple of surprise results in the elimination games (providing Devils not victims of an upset!) and a couple of smaller teams make it into the finals weekend & it’s half empty as might send a message to the league ahead of next season not to get complacent (Also I think it’s healthier for the league in general if it doesn’t become even more of a procession for the same big 3 every year. If you can predict the teams in finals weekend from beginning of season there’s not a lot for the other teams to play for.)
It’s all a bit predictable unfortunately. In an ideal world we’d have the top “rich” teams offering in some way to work with the league and support the “poorer” teams. It’s the only way l can see any longevity in the the league given the current financial situation. Even those melts in Sheffield should be able to work out that a Sheffield v .......... every year is not good for the league.

pjj365

It’s all a bit predictable unfortunately. In an ideal world we’d have the top “rich” teams offering in some way to work with the league and support the “poorer” teams. It’s the only way l can see any longevity in the the league given the current financial situation. Even those melts in Sheffield should be able to work out that a Sheffield v .......... every year is not good for the league.
First off it's not Sheffield every year - enough to seem so though.
Secondly if it's not good for the leauge why for years has it been an early near sell out of all teams? Having said that there used to be sensible pricing, day tickets and concessions

Mazzoak

I quoted Pembo who was talking about the future, which is why I said Sheffield v ......... I’m aware of who’s been in the finals, thanks.
The past is the past, as a businessman you’re aware you move with the forces at play today and more importantly who that may impact the near to long term.

moggy#9

Yes, I agree. There needs to be some form of revenue sharing to stabilise the league. While there is a massive disparity in facilities and ability to generate revenue, problems with ones or two teams could easily snowball into the league falling through.

The problem is that at times the league only seems to exist to service the vanity and ambition of the Steelers.

Mazzoak

Yes, I agree. There needs to be some form of revenue sharing to stabilise the league. While there is a massive disparity in facilities and ability to generate revenue, problems with ones or two teams could easily snowball into the league falling through.

The problem is that at times the league only seems to exist to service the vanity and ambition of the Steelers.
It’s worryingly short sightedness of the league & to some extent the clubs.