Playoff Weekend

Have Hope#35

Reports from Nottingham arena (someone working there). Says only about 900 tickets sold today across all the teams that are buying online. That’s shocking I thought they meant Panthers blocks. But no the whole lot. There’s 42 of us that club together come playoffs who are not going this year.
Sheffield were reporting having Sold around 1000 so lets say that 2000 have been sold - That's still just shy of £250,000 so I'm sure they'll get by even if the crowd is diminished! I'm now not going but I'm sure that'll have no impact on the League, it's a very sad state of affairs.

kingmo19.1

Sheffield were reporting having Sold around 1000 so lets say that 2000 have been sold - That's still just shy of £250,000 so I'm sure they'll get by even if the crowd is diminished! I'm now not going but I'm sure that'll have no impact on the League, it's a very sad state of affairs.
For the sake of the weekend experience, it’s a much better occasion with a packed house at the prior pricing level than potentially only a 75% full arena at the outrageously exorbitant new price!

Whoever priced the tickets this year has made a compete balls up of it. It’s not like we’d be watching an NHL level on ice product!

I hope we don’t go the way of football where people are getting priced out of the game with owners/EIHL board getting too greedy !!!!

Pembo

Such a fine line they are treading with this. Presumably hiked prices trying to increase revenue to recoups losses from COVID and allow quality to be maintained/improved leaguewide, but doing so at a time when household finances are really stretched with massive cost of living rises and the sport having a pretty small but passionate supporter base. It’s not like football where there are enough casual fans and corporate partners that they can afford to disenfranchise die hards to allow price hikes.

One of the great things about ice hockey in U.K. is the hockey family vibe. Increasingly this season there seem be a more overt, predatory mode of revenue generating - above inflation price hikes, no concessions for playoff tickets, arbitrary fees for direct debit renewal, excessive booking fees, £15 streams with no quality control - the risk is it will price families & young people out of the game and things stop being fun when people feel like they are being exploited.

E.D.S.

Thread starter #64
We've decided today not to go. First time in a good few years but it's not right. Even when the WRU put up their prices up by £15 they wrote an explanation as to why. Doesn't change the fact it went up but at least they had the decency to communicate with me like I was a valued customer. Like most have said, me taking a stand and not going will make little difference as they'll probably still sell out but it makes me feel better. Just can't abide being treated this way by both the league and the Devils.

kingmo19.1

Leaves a sour taste in my mouth, so won’t be going this year and cancelling hotel reaervation.

Shame as was looking forward to it, but I feel there is a level of exploitation to this and as a result I’m out (as they say on Dragons Den).

Urge the powers that be to look into this and understand the sentiment being expressed in this thread.

BostonBart22

the worst part in this is the 3rd 4th playoff nobody wants to watch, even the players dont want it ,no hits, prob end up a goal fest to please fans, so for 40.00 a tkt for the 3 real games sucks, and no concessions, surley an oversight by the lge on their part.

matbur

Also, of those who do go, how many families will in attendance?
Nobody seems to be taking any notice though, that's the sad thing
I was thinking the same thing about amount of families who will go.

As for it not being noticed, they (owners/organisers) will be, even if they're not commenting publicly. If sales are slower than projected or generating negative feedback, they'll be fully aware. I guarantee it.

Sheffield were reporting having Sold around 1000 so lets say that 2000 have been sold - That's still just shy of £250,000 so I'm sure they'll get by even if the crowd is diminished! I'm now not going but I'm sure that'll have no impact on the League, it's a very sad state of affairs.[/QUOTE

Sheffield aren’t on sale till Saturday same as you, they’re on about what’s been sold at the Nottm arena which isn’t far off what I said

Kevlar68

I think a more even contest is 1-3, 2-4, 5-7, 6-8. The divide between 1-8 playing seems a no contest, at least with the other set up the lower sides could get a shot at a final. May encourage more fans to want to go to the weekend.
If your a fan of the 8th place team playing the 1st place team would you realistically want to travel and pay for the weekend?

Wannabe2

The 8th place team won’t be playing the 1st placed team at the play off weekend, as one of them will be eliminated in the earlier rounds, only 4 teams will get to the play offs.

Kevlar68

The 8th place team won’t be playing the 1st placed team at the play off weekend, as one of them will be eliminated in the earlier rounds, only 4 teams will get to the play offs.
Sorry, i'm being an idiot, i mean if there is a chance of them getting through to the weekend it may give fans more hope and encourage more pre sales for the weekend with the odd/even system. I just think that's a more fair system, just the way i see it.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

If we finish 3rd in the league which it’s looking like, we will be matched against the 6th placed team in the 1/4 finals that could be Flames, Stars, Blaze in my assumption, with Clan taking 5th place behind Panthers in 4th and my guess is that our 1/4 final will be against Blaze. That’s only my opinion and it could obviously be blown out of the water, actually we could run a post for fans to name their 4 match ups in the 1`/4 finals.