Players Points allocation in the EIHL

Thread starter #1
Hi guys, I’m new to the forum. Been browsing/lurking for quite a while but this is my first post.

I wanted to know peoples thoughts on the accuracy of point allocation in the EIHL compared to say the NHL or other major leagues.

What I mean by this is a quick look at the game sheets for games in our league show nearly every goal that is scored being credited with two assists.

Looking at games in the NHL KHL etc.. there seem to be a lot more unassisted or single assisted goals in comparison.

I know we don’t have the luxury of the technology that other leagues are able to call upon but it does make me think that player ability and standard of league aside, players in the EIHL would not rack up as many points as if they were playing elsewhere as what is constituted as an assist or secondary assist seem to more closely scrutinised than they are in the EIHL.

In other words are we too kind to players when it comes to points allocation?

Just a personal observation to keen to hear what other people think?

kingmo19.1

You make a good point and its something I thought about earlier this year when looking at some of the gamesheets. As the game here is slower, I guess it gives the officials more time to study the play and identify any 2nd assists.

The 2nd assist to me is strange one ... Imagine the scene where Fournier picks up the puck behind our own net, skates up ice, beats 4 players with amazing skill then lays off a pass to say Pope. Pope then makes a straightforward 1 foot pass to Martin who makes a 1 foot pass to Linglet who taps it in from 6 inches out.

So Linglet gets 1+0 for the goal, Martin gets 0+1 for a 1 foot pass, Pope gets 0+1 for a 1 foot pass and poor Fournier after doing 99% of the work that setup the goal by setting up the play and beating 4 players gets nothing!

Last edited:

fridaysfingers

I was also thinking about this this week. Without wanting to take points off any of our players, because I'm sure it happens across the board.
Our 1st goal on Wednesday against Steelers,I think Fournier passed to Martin, who passed to Ulmer on the wing who shot, Martin got the tip and scored so unless I've been getting it wrong for all these years there shouldn't be a second assist??
Am I actually wrong on this?

Temme

You make a good point and its something I thought about earlier this year when looking at some of the gamesheets. As the game here is slower, I guess it gives the officials more time to study the play and identify any 2nd assists.

The 2nd assist to me is strange one ... Imagine the scene where Fournier picks up the puck behind our own net, skates up ice, beats 4 players with amazing skill then lays off a pass to say Pope. Pope then makes a straightforward 2 foot pass to Martin who taps it in from 6 inches out.

So Martin gets 1+0 for a tap in, Pope gets 0+1 for a straightforward 2 foot pass and poor Fournier after setting up the play, beating 4 players gets nothing!
In this instance Fournier would get 0+1, providing no opponent has a 'controlling' touch of the puck.

Temme

I was also thinking about this this week. Without wanting to take points off any of our players, because I'm sure it happens across the board.
Our 1st goal on Wednesday against Steelers,I think Fournier passed to Martin, who passed to Ulmer on the wing who shot, Martin got the tip and scored so unless I've been getting it wrong for all these years there shouldn't be a second assist??
Am I actually wrong on this?
Same thing happened for Richie's opener against Belfast on Sunday.

Dixon --pass--> Richie --pass--> Hedden --pass--> Richie (goal)

Goal reads Richie from Hedden & Dixon

The actual wording for it is here:

"Additionally, if a player passes the puck to another player who then completes a give-and-go with a different player for a goal, the player who made the pass that set up the goal gets the primary assist, and the player who passed to the eventual goal scorer before the give-and-go took place gets the secondary assist. This is essentially because assists are to be awarded to the last (up to) two players of the scoring team who had possession of the puck before the eventual goal scorer had possession and ultimately scored, regardless of whether that eventual goal scorer had possession at any time in between the two other players. This also means that possession of the puck can go from and in between the eventual goal scorer and eventual assist getters an unlimited number of times, and this scoring standard will still be applied. The no change in team possession guideline still applies to these particular cases. "

TL;DR version: the second assist applies and the rule is being observed correctly :)

fridaysfingers

Same thing happened for Richie's opener against Belfast on Sunday.

Dixon --pass--> Richie --pass--> Hedden --pass--> Richie (goal)

Goal reads Richie from Hedden & Dixon

The actual wording for it is here:

"Additionally, if a player passes the puck to another player who then completes a give-and-go with a different player for a goal, the player who made the pass that set up the goal gets the primary assist, and the player who passed to the eventual goal scorer before the give-and-go took place gets the secondary assist. This is essentially because assists are to be awarded to the last (up to) two players of the scoring team who had possession of the puck before the eventual goal scorer had possession and ultimately scored, regardless of whether that eventual goal scorer had possession at any time in between the two other players. This also means that possession of the puck can go from and in between the eventual goal scorer and eventual assist getters an unlimited number of times, and this scoring standard will still be applied. The no change in team possession guideline still applies to these particular cases. "

TL;DR version: the second assist applies and the rule is being observed correctly :)
Thanks for that, learn something new every day....

I tend to forget two things each day though so it's a losing battle!!!

Temme

Sorry Temme, there was a typo in my original message - corrected it now. Please have another read through.
When you put it like that it does seem a little silly!

Another one is where a goal goes in off a defending player generally they will take away ALL assists, and just credit the last attacking player with the goal.

I've never really understood the importance or need for assists to be recorded to be honest, player 1 makes a nothing run of the mill pass to player 2 who makes another nothing pass to player 3 who takes a speculative shot and it goes in, all 3 players get a point? Do players 1 and 2 really deserve a point?