Player opinions ....

voth26

I’m not getting into a debate with this again.
But il give a few reasons why I slated bownsy.
It’s Because there was no way that goal against Coventry should have went in. No one was in his way, the shot wasn’t hard or accurate.
in fact it was a poor shot any eihl keeper should have saved.

That first goal as lord has said was very crucial and we were chasing all night.

Against Dundee we were 2-1 down and still in the game when bowns went behind the goal to collect the puck only to mess it up and leave the stars player with a open net.

These are just two errors out of atleast 10 he has made that pissed me off.

He makes to many to be classed as the best goalie in the league. I think he’s replaceable and wouldn’t mind seeing another goalie in net or give murdy a shot.

End of story.
Wow bit harsh don't you think, yes Bownsy make some mistakes but he's made some huge saves that have won us games. Bring in an import Nettie and you need to find a quality Brit to play 4 line hockey. We lost the league by regulation wins not by 5 or 10 points, Bownsy had 8 shutouts and 40+ wins this season so clearly the guy is doing the majority of things right. Panthers had 2 import Nettie and finished 22 points behind us in 3rd, have a look on their forum see what their fans think of Garnett??

voth26

For the removal of any doubt, look here and study this information very carefully:-

https://eliteleague.co.uk/game-centre/players/goalies/?season_id=18470

So in a nutshell, Ben is statistically ever so slightly the second best netminder in the entire EIHL this season - only Besko is statistically slightly better.

Every netminder makes a mistake now and again (I don’t think it was a mistake v Blaze as he was unsighted).

If you attend most home games, you’ll see Bownsey 30-40 games a season, yes you’ll see a few mistakes - but thats happening up and down the land with every other netminder also - you are just not seeing that so often!

He’d be the first one id resign for next season. Complete no brainier.

Ben offers the Devils the opportunity to ice another import skater as we’re not using an import goalie!
As you rightly point out Besko is slightly better %wise but even he's made some mistakes as well, I watched Steelers/giants game when they lost think it was 4_1? there were at least 2goals he'd want back

Anyone seriously wanting to get rid of Bowns I’d suggest hasn’t played or watched much sport in general, let alone hockey.

All players in every sport make mistakes. The best ones make far more positive contributions to their team’s results than negative ones, which Bowns has done again and again with match winning saves and performances.

Everyone’s entitled to an opinion, and mine is that ‘get rid of Bowns’ is a ridiculous one!

wow just wow...

some people seem to forget that before it gets to Bowns there are 5 players who are meant to defending from the front.

has Bowns let in some soft goals.....yes
has Bowns stopped some certain goals ....yes
is Bowns the best Netminder in the league....from a plus point of being British then ......yes it allows us an additional import.
how many people can remember a forward missing a sitter that might of won us the game.......honestly probably over the whole season ....I would struggle ......but no doubt there would of been a dozen or more
However alot are remember Bowns mistakes as the result is more obvious....the OPPO score....we either win or lose.....if we win we tend to forget the mistakes....or focus on a forward or Dman....if we lose...the criticism or mistakes seems to land on Bowns shoulders. Against Coventry we scored 1 goal.....you really don't win many games like that....but yet still people are criticising Bowns. Soft goals or not.....I'd be signing him up for next season. his positives far outweigh the negatives.....however in a 70+ season he needs rest .....especially as he ages....it would be nice to have a backup that the coach trusts to do a job....even for a period....like MK game.....I know he wants the shut out but looking back was that an error in judgement ....who knows

Wannabe2

What Some people don’t understand is that if Bowns never made a mistake, he wouldn’t be in this league, he would be in the NHL, if Hotham never made mistakes in defence, we would never have seen him, as he would have been in a better league, if our beloved Joey Martin never missed a shot,we would never have known him, as he would have been in the NHL, it’s all relevant. It’s the same in football a goal scorer misses a shot, 2 mins later it’s forgotten, a goalie makes the same mistake and it’s a goal, he then gets slated, goalies have the most thankless positions on the ice/ pitch. We are and have been very fortunate to have Bownsy on our team, Steelers would have died for him, and he is a Sheffield lad, Panthers and the rest would snatch your hand off to have the current GB nettie at theirs, and to give them the added bonus of a extra import skater. This lad has won Gold medals with GB, won league titles and play offs with us, anyone with a modicum of a brain cell can see what Ben brings to the table. We have a very successful Coach running our club, a Coach that’s a winner, a guy who has done it all, and he loves Bownsy,like most of us fans. So to those INCREDIBLY FEW,who has a downer on our goalie they should consider visiting specsavers and maybe try counselling.

Wannabe2

Here’s another one for the doubters
We let in 147 goals with a bum nettie
Giants let in 146 goals with the best nettie ever ???
Bownsy in his poor season had a save % of .916
The greatest ever had a save % of .921

The amazing wall that defended the Title Winners, that couldn’t put a foot wrong let these in on various nights
6 v Panthers
4 v Flyers
5 v Stars
4 v Steelers
6 v Stars
4 v Clan
4 v Storm
4 v Clan
4 v Steelers
4 v Devils
5 v Devils
5 v Blaze
5 v Panthers
5v Clan
4v Clan
5vClan
4v Stars
Now this is not a slant on Beskorowany, he is an amazing netminder, in fact he won the title for the Giants without a shadow of a doubt. So how can a brilliant nettie have these stats, and a bum nettie nye on equal those stats, So come on please give it a long overdue rest.

Mazzoak

Bowns has been over worked this season, l base that on the fact he’s made more mistakes this season compared to others season, it’s been commented a few times on the Inferno. Seems pretty obvious we have no confidence without him in net. Our defence could be a factor. I’d have Bowns back next yr, obviously.

My other issue is a few players of recent years seemed to have been disconnected from their comfort zone, Bordeleau being the most prominent. Maybe it’s a recruitment issue, what the coach needs in a players skill set is maybe not available, so recruits the closest player in hope of changing his style. This year l don’t believe the changing room is as close as previous yrs due to these issues and pressure for success.

voth26

Bowns has been over worked this season, l base that on the fact he’s made more mistakes this season compared to others season, it’s been commented a few times on the Inferno. Seems pretty obvious we have no confidence without him in net. Our defence could be a factor. I’d have Bowns back next yr, obviously.

My other issue is a few players of recent years seemed to have been disconnected from their comfort zone, Bordeleau being the most prominent. Maybe it’s a recruitment issue, what the coach needs in a players skill set is maybe not available, so recruits the closest player in hope of changing his style. This year l don’t believe the changing room is as close as previous yrs due to these issues and pressure for success.
I don't quite follow your last point if im honest, bordy was brought into be be our physical presence and step up. he delivered on the first but not on the 2nd he choose not to fight!! cant see how that's Lords fault?. regarding the locker room these guys are winners or have played in much higher standards of leagues with I would guess a higher level of pressure

Mooney#16

I think someone else mentioned it but if you go into a league deciding fixture and only score 1 goal the last person i’d be throwing under the bus is the netminder.

The question mark I have over this years team is their versatility of style. By that I mean I think they have been a touch arrogant that their speed and skill was superior enough they could dictate to the opposition and get the job done on offence. For the majority of games this worked so I can understand how they’d feel this way however I just question Lordo a little in when you adapt and get a bit nasty and aggressive with oppositions and put them off when they are getting on a defensive role against you. As much as I hated him there are definite games this year where say a Daryl Lloyd would have completed upset the opposition if given the green light. It’s all well and good being nice and gentlemanly. I just question if this team can take to the trenches. I look forward to being proved completely wrong this play offs.

jenks33

I think someone else mentioned it but if you go into a league deciding fixture and only score 1 goal the last person i’d be throwing under the bus is the netminder.

The question mark I have over this years team is their versatility of style. By that I mean I think they have been a touch arrogant that their speed and skill was superior enough they could dictate to the opposition and get the job done on offence. For the majority of games this worked so I can understand how they’d feel this way however I just question Lordo a little in when you adapt and get a bit nasty and aggressive with oppositions and put them off when they are getting on a defensive role against you. As much as I hated him there are definite games this year where say a Daryl Lloyd would have completed upset the opposition if given the green light. It’s all well and good being nice and gentlemanly. I just question if this team can take to the trenches. I look forward to being proved completely wrong this play offs.
Agree with this. If you only score 2 goals in your last 2 away games you're asking for trouble. It's the major worry I've got for these play off games. I don't think we've created enough quality scoring chances in recent weeks (MK game aside)

terry hunt

I am not against criticism but if you think your comments are fair i believe you should identify yourself.
I cant abide this internet cowardice.Most of the comments on here are made by people who would wet themsleves if one of the players or a family member took offence and called them out.
If you are not prepared to put up then shut up.

Mazzoak

From what I’m reading on social media plenty are identifiable, I’ve not seen much of what you call cowardice, plenty more colourful characterisations to choose.

Devilsatw

I am not against criticism but if you think your comments are fair i believe you should identify yourself.
I cant abide this internet cowardice.Most of the comments on here are made by people who would wet themsleves if one of the players or a family member took offence and called them out.
If you are not prepared to put up then shut up.
What do you want people to do stand up after the game and say hey I’m James off the forum I think you played shit. And believe you me I most certainly wont wet myself if I got approach by a player.. don’t like my opinion aww well..

They may say I’m ugly or stupid but do you think I would course all this crap over there opinion?
no I wouldn’t

Last edited:

Devilsatw

What do you want people to do stand up after the game and say hey I’m James off the forum I think you played shit. And believe you me I most certainly wont wet myself if I got approach by a player.. don’t like my opinion aww well..

They may say I’m ugly or stupid but do you think I would course all this crap over there opinion?
no I wouldn’t
Just to let you know when they play well I do praise them :)

You’re questioning one of the best devils netminders ever since herlofsky one week before the playoffs when they are already probably scorned after the defeat agains our rivals .... are you sure you’re a devils fan ? I agree I’d like to see murdy more but you’re out of order about Bowns GB number one and getting to where they have got is no easy quest grow up and support the boys playoffs are close !!!! Let’s go devils !!

Something else about Bowns that maybe hasn't been mentioned is what he means to the team as a squad member. Sounds slightly underwhelming, I know, but think about the passion that he has for playing for this side and what it quite clearly means to him to be a part of this club. For my mind, we've been missing somebody consistently who's a big character to get the guys going, i.e. Dougie Clarkson, Hotham to some extent. But to have somebody like Bowns, who might go about it in a more understated manner, makes a huge difference to any locker room. Same goes for the likes of Myers, Richie, Mo. They're not overtly the flashiest and they are prone to the odd mistake, but they'll give everything for this side. Those are the people you want around for a long time.