Peter Campbell

Gazza272

I really dont like press releases stating who we have missed out on. I understand that it was to demenstrate the type of player that we wanted but Newcastle have done it for a few seasons now and it just comes across as if we arent having a very good off season.

As far as the player goes, i know G tried to get him when he plumped Belfast just as he and lyle left Basingstoke so i'm not suprised he went in for him again. It's also a good sign of the type of player that G is looking to sign.

Chris

Administrator
It's probably been released to counter this weeks earlier statement saying we were hoping to have someone signed by the end of the week.

We know we haven't signed the player now so we can't complain about no signing news.

Chris.

ASHIPP

Chris Stone said:
It's probably been released to counter this weeks earlier statement saying we were hoping to have someone signed by the end of the week.
Chris.
Got that impression myself. It does illustrate the calibre of player that G is hunting down. From what he says, there seem to be lots of irons in the fire but...it is a bit disconcerting that this is the 3rd player in recent weeks who has chosen other options - Greg Owen and Pat Bateman being the others. Still, I expect this is happening to the other teams too. It must be tough competing for good import players and then to be turned down in the final stages. :(

Kipper

That's a real shame. He would have been a great signing. I know that G was very optimistic about signing him but it is difficult for the Uk to compete with offers from some of the European clubs.

Koop11

Disappointing. Campbell is a quality player and would have been a great signing. The bright side is that this highlights the level of player we're looking to sign for next season.

I'm not sure a PR like this is such a great move. The Blaze did something similar last year when we were close to signing David Cullen and after that, LeClair was constantly compared to him and how he wasn't nearly as good ;)

Finny

I think in such instances, these PR's are ok. After the Echo had said we had offered a contract etc to a player quite a few of us (myself included) were hoping for a signing on the weekend.

It would have been frustrating checking the website over the next couple of days wondering what has happened - at least now we know why the signing fell through.

You often get PR's like this in football. The press will leak that a club is talking to a player, and then a couple of days later the club will announce those talks have failed. e.g. Man City and Kaka in January.