Penalty Shots

Devils86

Thread starter #1
Maybe I’m covering old ground here but given how difficult (compared to other sports) it is to score a penalty shot (if it was easy we’d see far more goals in shootouts) why in the event of a missed shot isn’t a minor called against the original offender?

Obviously not a hockey veteran but fresh eyes and all that...

dave

Average conversation of penalty shots is higher than power plays...NHL stat from a few years ago but still not to different

AVqd7.png

dave

Late in a game a miss/save is an instant swing in momentum for the offending team as well.....old days you could reject the ps and take a look at least if you do not score you run clock down higher possession etc.

august04

It’s a shame you can’t choose what you’d prefer at that point in a game. But it was a clear penalty shot tonight, the right call. Just disappointing that we missed it!

Bazza

I have always thought that if you get a penalty shot and miss then the 2 mins should then be served...just my rule change thought!! :)

mweller

Agreed - at this stage in the game if we'd had the choice, a PP would have served us better, we would have taken the sting out of their attack, and might have scored. Thanks for the stats above, I was wondering this too, mind you I wonder what the Devils stats are? We seem reasonably effective on PP. But we'd probably all moan if we didn;t get the penalty shot, it was definitely the right call.

I think the key thing to remember here is the PS conversion rate in the NHL is waaaay higher in large part due to the higher standard of ability. I am by no means knocking the ability of the players in our league/team. You can't have different rules for different leagues just because of the skill levels. I agree a PP would've suited us much more but the rules is the rules :)

Temme

In the circumstances a PP would have been better, we can all see that.

However as above, we had a league leading PP last year that was somewhere around 25-27%? That's almost unheard of with most teams hovering around the 1/5 mark (20%....)

PS conversion is much higher.

Just a shame the rule didn't go in our favour last night i guess.

osh

The right call was made I think even though I often feel a player who causes the penalty most often escapes any real punishment. It also has to be said that Joey’s attempt was poor, surprised he didn’t go back handed like some of his recent one on ones.