Penalty Shoot Out's

Gough60

Thread starter #1
I have noticed recently that during the opposition's penalty shot that there is an unsportsmanlike Booing from the home fans. I have no recollection of this in past years and feel that this is something that should be discouraged. Your thoughts please. :oops:

Well we haven't won many penalty shoot-outs at home for at least the last couple of seasons so I guess it doesn't really effect the opposition :roll: and come on these players are suppose to be professional.
Devils were involved in a penalty shoot-out just last week up in Fife and the home fans were exactly the same so, sorry I just don't understand what the problem is.

The devils win their first shoot out in god knows how long and within 3 hours there's a negative.

I don't like the booing either (same in rugby, booing the kicker) but why bring it up now? It's been happening all season

voth26

at least its not as unsportsmanlike as zemlak was during the last game three times he delayed the pen shot by taking a drink and rearranging his mask/blocker/catcher just before the whistle was blown

I understand that there is nothing wrong with Zemlak's alleged unsportsmanlike behaviour in the recent penalty shoot out at the BBT. Simple psychology - "we'll do this when I am good and ready and not before"

That the Devils shooters decide to take their shots immediately after Zemlak's decided he was ready, just meant that Zemlak's had the mental advantage - which may have contributed to our players being unable to light the lamp.

I would look to wait until the goalie indicated to the referee that he was ready and skate round until I was ready to take my shot.

#mindgames

Gough60

Thread starter #6
i didnt intend to give the impression of any negativity over this thread,(over the moon that not only a win , but a win in a shot out), In fact i think the last 2 home performances have been gritty and the young Brits. who have moved up, all fitted in fantasticly. My point was about Booing during the shot out. I take your point about Zemlak and that is something the stripes can deal with if they feel he is over the top with his preparation.

voth26

Block 2 Noise Boys said:
I understand that there is nothing wrong with Zemlak's alleged unsportsmanlike behaviour in the recent penalty shoot out at the BBT. Simple psychology - "we'll do this when I am good and ready and not before"

That the Devils shooters decide to take their shots immediately after Zemlak's decided he was ready, just meant that Zemlak's had the mental advantage - which may have contributed to our players being unable to light the lamp.

I would look to wait until the goalie indicated to the referee that he was ready and skate round until I was ready to take my shot.

#mindgames
mindgames maybe but my point was he was set up ready for the shot but as soon as the player skated in collect the puck he stood up and took his mask off

Booing is to try and put off the opposite team from scoring? It's only like us cheering when it's our turn to take the penalty right? It's all part of it, seen it from many teams in many leagues.

OK guys...so what do you do when the oppo. takes a penalty shot?

1. Boo. Let's try and put them off a bit. After all I'd quite like the extra point thanks.
2. Polite applause. They are professional sportsman and deserve our respect.
3. Stay silent. I don't want to try and put the opposition off but can't bring myself to do 2 or 4
4. Cheer them on wildly..after all it's a family sport and I love watching any goal....don't care who scores it.

;)

Tyke Devil said:
OK guys...so what do you do when the oppo. takes a penalty shot?

1. Boo. Let's try and put them off a bit. After all I'd quite like the extra point thanks.
2. Polite applause. They are professional sportsman and deserve our respect.
3. Stay silent. I don't want to try and put the opposition off but can't bring myself to do 2 or 4
4. Cheer them on wildly..after all it's a family sport and I love watching any goal....don't care who scores it.

;)
2. The polite applause. Ha!
I hear it sometimes during playing in regulation and I keep imagining I'm watching a snooker match after someone does a really good pot. Am I the only one? Must be. Ah well. :roll:

James said:
I'm pretty sure option 3 would put them off more
I'm pretty certain none of the options would really affect them that much to be honest.

Hmm...maybe polite applause might make them a bit jumpy though. :)

6. We all start to sing the Welsh National Anthem as the penalties start (well I can't but I'd get mini Tyke Devil to do it). They wouldn't have a clue what's going on.

7. We all take flash photography at the exact moment the oppo. player takes his shot (and then let Paul tell us to stop being naughty! :lol: )

Anymore ideas?