Parisi

bb1

WOW.....I have never read so much crap on this forum in a long time........people are reacting like hes committed the worst crime in the world here. Reality check people........Its just another player who happens to not be irreplaceable!

I have my suspicions he may just may end up playing elsewhere however.....what if his heart just isn't in it? Could he have personal issues going on in the background that he feels he can't bring to light???

We have all had issues to some degree in our lives and we've all jumped into things where we wish we wouldn't have. Hes a human being at the end of the day and will make mistakes.

I am genuinely gutted as I thought he would tear the league apart but some of these comments are not justified. If he does sign elsewhere then so be it. I look at it as a lucky escape for us as I only want guys in our jersey who want to play for us. We can rest assured Lord, Todd and the owners will no doubt bring in another star shortly.

Earnie

A friend in BC Canada informs me that over there when a player joins a team he is 'carded'. Any team wanting him must ask the 'carded' team and sometimes money is involved.
Pulling a stunt like he did has been known to damage a hockey player's career.

However, I am disappointed with what has happened since it is so close to our CHL ambitions. On the other hand it is essential we have players who WANT to be a Devil. I am not going to condemn him or sympathise with him for I don't know the circumstances involved.
I am sure with our very busy and arduous schedule this season a replacement will arrive. Maybe not right away but eventually.

Kevlar68

Many bright young things have walked away from what they wanted to be when younger, perfect example, the sad disappearance of Richey Edwards from Manic Street Preachers. He always wanted to be a rock n roll star but just as they were becoming massive he vanished.

mk18

Some people need to have a serious look at themselves after reading what I just have and take a second to think about if they really want to post what they’ve just written before doing so.
You never know what’s going through a players head at a certain time and you’ve got to remember that these professionals are also human. Parisi’s decision to take a step back from hockey is obviously not an easy one to make considering it’s been your life from a young age.
Looking to fulfill a career outside of hockey is not an unusual decision to make, just look at what’s happened in Glasgow with Liam Heelis but one that is a lot closer to home is that of a certain Jon Pelle. Retired at age 26 (The age Parisi would have been at the end of this season) to take work outside of the sport.
Best of luck to Thomas and I wish him success in whatever he chooses to do next.

terry hunt

The other Laval players that were released with him seem to have found teams none in the NHL.
The NHL teams appear to be using the AHL to quickly bring on very young players.
Unfortunately Parisi is 25 and getting too old for what they are looking for.
Budgets are everything.
We have lost good players before like Pelle,Hervato,Culligan,Russell and Marsh who still had a lot to offer us the list is long.

Ocko

The ‘how dare he do this to us, the mighty Cardiff Devils’ attitude on here is a bit much.

It’s just a job. And the club are just employers.

We aren’t a organisation like the Blackhawks, Rangers or Leafs, who young players dream of playing for. Players come here for money, travel or education. If what is going on in their personal lives or head outweighs what we offer then you can’t blame him.

Rob Batch

Thread starter #128
Hugely disappointing outcome for both player and club. Better to have this happen now than further down the line. Still, we have a full roster of talented guys and this should be seen as a minor hiccup in our march for more success. Similar story last year, then in came Strachan. We all know what happened next.

Mazzoak

There is a lot of assumptions being thrown around, I’ve read mental health issues, I’ve read he’s selfish, I’ve even concluded and voiced my own opinion, which could be way off, but l can’t help thinking his love was more to do with the money & fame NHL stardom would have brought than actually a love of playing any professional hockey.
I hope his statement is a correct reflection of the situation and he pursues and finds happiness away from hockey. If this in time turns out to be an excuse, as l suspect, it could cause doubts in the minds of future prospects and impact future star signings in to Cardiff, that would be unjustified, questions of his character or what he’d loved and lost within hockey could then be reasonably asked.

JT666

Hopefully this development will galvanise the rest of the team, particularly the other newcomers, who, if their social media is an accurate reflection, all seem to be enjoying themselves.

Will reserve judgement on Parisi until a couple of months down the line as it will be interesting to see if he is still retired by then...

Every cloud though, I can't wait to see who we sign next!

PS. On the topic of new defensive signings, already a huge fan of Ben Blood, what a character!

mjh

Hopefully this development will galvanise the rest of the team, particularly the other newcomers, who, if their social media is an accurate reflection, all seem to be enjoying themselves.

Will reserve judgement on Parisi until a couple of months down the line as it will be interesting to see if he is still retired by then...

Every cloud though, I can't wait to see who we sign next!

PS. On the topic of new defensive signings, already a huge fan of Ben Blood, what a character!
Yeah he seems great. Also pleased we’ve kept some awesome players from last year such as Pope etc.

Foxy

The ‘how dare he do this to us, the mighty Cardiff Devils’ attitude on here is a bit much.

We aren’t a organisation like the Blackhawks, Rangers or Leafs, who young players dream of playing for. Players come here for money, travel or education. If what is going on in their personal lives or head outweighs what we offer then you can’t blame him.
There are one or two posters that have gone over the top. Please don't tar us all with the same brush. Are we disappointed...... yes...... could it have been timed better....yes. At the end of the day it's Parisi's decision

Devil_Abroad

I suspect I missed the worst of it but can I remind everyone to keep civil with each other. It's an emotive subject and people have articulated both sides well. I was pissed off when I heard it but can totally see the other side too.

On a side note, yes you can swear on this forum, people don't tend to as we are (mostly) civil adults but it is allowed. We'd probably take appropriate action if posters make continued unnecessary profanity. I'm not going to censure an 'F' bomb at this point as I probably thought the same thing :D
Very disappointed to read this post. This is a public forum and therefore open to non members many of whom could be young children.

Are the standards in our society slipping so far that offensive language is no longer deemed offensive?

jenks33

I think this is a bit harsh. It’s the fact that’s he’s done it so late that’s angered a few people. If he did it on the 1st of August people would be disappointed but it wouldn’t have caused as much of a fuss. We clearly signed him ages ago, he was only announced so late because he had other commitments.
I also don’t know why people assume he’s really depressed. Have I missed something (genuine question)? Falling out of love with hockey doesn’t necessarily mean he’s depressed. It might just mean he didn’t want to string us along when his heart isn’t in it. Which is nice of the bloke but he didn’t need to do it a week before our first competitive match!

James

Administrator
Very disappointed to read this post. This is a public forum and therefore open to non members many of whom could be young children.

Are the standards in our society slipping so far that offensive language is no longer deemed offensive?
This has been the policy on here for about 7 years. It isn't an all ages family forum and children using this forum are doing so in contravention to our terms.

James

Administrator
Yes. If we deem it to be excessive we'll moderate it. It's seldom been an issue apart from the occasional total meltdown. Like I said, it's down to to people being adults about it.

apologies for taking this thread off topic.

ASHIPP

Sadly it is what it is and hopefully the Club, Coaches , Team and fans can move on quickly. Could be a blessing in disguise it happened now so that the Club can relaunch the search for a gem....and our next player probably turn out to be a much more commited and appropriate player for our Team.

Whatever Parisi's reasons for his decision, the signs were definitely there at the ceremonial puck-drop on Sunday night. His body language screamed of a young man who did not want to be there. Amid rapturous applause from the crowd, he barely acknowledged them. He possibly had his doubts about this move before even arriving in the UK. On Sunday he looked like someone who realised he had made a catastrophic mistake and just wanted to go.

We don't know the details of his experiences at Laval. For someone whose life has been geared and focused on attaining the big prize, it's difficult to accept that he simply just grew out of love for the sport. It would not be suprising to see him accept a PTO with another AHL team to get another shot at the big time. Afterall, this is the very part of the pre-season preparations in the NHL and AHL when players without contracts are offered PTOs.

I feel for the Owners, the Club, the Coaches. They all seem genuinely incredulous over the way that this unfolded. After all the expense involved in bringing over this player, however genuine his reasons for pulling out might be, the Club has been treated in a very shoddy and disgraceful manner. Like I said, hopefully they can move on and find someone who wants to be here to play hockey and help the team, doesn't have an ego or any baggage.

This might galvanise the Team. They need our support. As does Lordo who might have to change the Tean's entire style/approach in the CHL because of this situation. They may not find another Dman in time - and they are certainly missing the veteran leadership and experience of Strachan....and the explosive prowess of Hotham at the moment.

Last edited: