Panthers vs Devils

jimmy snels

whilst i totally agree our net minding hasnt been as consistent as previous years and a couple of our D arent very good at defending (dispite them having an offensive upside), i fancy our forwards should have been scoring at a higher frequency which when you look at the names and numbers its hard to disagree with imho. this in turn has put way to much pressure on our D not to conceed at all which in turn makes it even more likely to happen!

Temme

whilst i totally agree our net minding hasnt been as consistent as previous years and a couple of our D arent very good at defending (dispite them having an offensive upside), i fancy our forwards should have been scoring at a higher frequency which when you look at the names and numbers its hard to disagree with imho. this in turn has put way to much pressure on our D not to conceed at all which in turn makes it even more likely to happen!
I do wonder though how much of our seemingly 'reduced' goal output (still 3rd in the league) comes down to guys being coached to not over commit, keep bodies back/high in the zone. Barzal at the Islanders comes to mind massively, a guy with clear ability to put up 90+ points a year but sits under a point per game due to the coach's style.

Our goal differential sits us at around the same as Coventry which would be 5th in the league, so fortunately the league isn't decided there!!!

I still think with the games we have left to play we will win the league though, it's been a very competitive year for most team - 10 points currently split positions 1-6!!!

moggy#9

I do wonder though how much of our seemingly 'reduced' goal output (still 3rd in the league) comes down to guys being coached to not over commit, keep bodies back/high in the zone. Barzal at the Islanders comes to mind massively, a guy with clear ability to put up 90+ points a year but sits under a point per game due to the coach's style.

Our goal differential sits us at around the same as Coventry which would be 5th in the league, so fortunately the league isn't decided there!!!

I still think with the games we have left to play we will win the league though, it's been a very competitive year for most team - 10 points currently split positions 1-6!!!
Everything is still very fluid which, I guess, makes for the competition to keep the league healthy. I'm still expecting the giants to make a charge due their home run in, but expect them to fall short. This weekend for us and the Steelers is so massive it's unreal. Not just for the points and a trophy, but to set the tone for the remainder of the season.

E.D.S.

Hard to disagree. 6th or 7th best goal tending (when you remove the two goalies who played less then 10 games) - not pointing the finger at Bownsy at all. It's team defence that's been lacking. Can't argue with the logic though that when the puck is in the net at the other end it's unlikely to be getting picked out of ours.

E.D.S.

I'd love us to do it but as I've said before I believe we have the capability and consistency this season to be a good cup team. I think we have a great chance on Sunday as we have it in us to turn up for one big game but to do it consistently throughout the year when it matters seems to allude us. Still been a great season so far and the usual ups and downs that keep me coming back year on year.

Ocko

Is our defensive game, structure and D men themselves actually that bad when we sit 3rd in goals against? Separated by only 0.2 goals conceded a game (which is negligible) from the top two teams.

There’s just huge hysteria from people who expect us to win every game. Pointing at defensive frailties is easy, especially with easy targets like McMonagle and Reddick. This loss meant fingers were pointed at them because they were -4, however no one cared to mention McNamee’s -5, Richie’s -3 or any other players plus minus. The defensive game is a team effort, it’s not like scoring a coast to coast goal.

ASHIPP

Agreed. Posters citing only goal tending stats as the root cause of our inconsistency are not seeing the bigger picture. Could be poor team defensive play, could be scoring inconsistencies. Interesting that Devils have been the second lowest goal conceding team for most of the season (think we are third now).

august04

Is our defensive game, structure and D men themselves actually that bad when we sit 3rd in goals against? Separated by only 0.2 goals conceded a game (which is negligible) from the top two teams.

There’s just huge hysteria from people who expect us to win every game. Pointing at defensive frailties is easy, especially with easy targets like McMonagle and Reddick. This loss meant fingers were pointed at them because they were -4, however no one cared to mention McNamee’s -5, Richie’s -3 or any other players plus minus. The defensive game is a team effort, it’s not like scoring a coast to coast goal.
I’ve never paid much attention to plus/minus stats. A goalie lets in a duffer or someone makes a mistake which results in a goal and the whole line suffers with those stats. I suppose it can be used as a guide only. I prefer to comment on what I see and certainly the positional play of the two easy targets that you mention is quite appalling at times and it’s often not down to forwards covering them but individual mistakes.

Last edited:

Slartibartfast

Everyone seems to be inconsistent. Just as we thought Steelers are back to winning ways, they lose to Guilford. Maybe the league is just that much better this year.

hip check

Is the league stronger or is it we're not firing on all cylinders this season?
All the expected suspects are at or near the top of the league and we're all pretty much on par with each other.
I'm surprised Guildford are not more in the mix, each season they play good competetive hockey and push the arena teams all the way, just a matter of time till they make the breakthrough me thinks and that can only be good for the league.
Toss a coin and you could probably get the league winners from that.
Hopefully we'll regain our title from the Giants.

Hedd Wyn John

Everyone seems to be inconsistent. Just as we thought Steelers are back to winning ways, they lose to Guilford. Maybe the league is just that much better this year.
From what I can see Steelers have a habit of hammering a bunch of teams & then going onto a narrow defeat here or there while the Devils tend to scrape by with close wins followed by the odd pasting.

moggy#9

From what I can see Steelers have a habit of hammering a bunch of teams & then going onto a narrow defeat here or there while the Devils tend to scrape by with close wins followed by the odd pasting.
Team selection and tactics will be crucial this weekend. I'm sure Steelers will have a game plan, but we need to get big bodies in duba's face as he often seems to give up rebounds. We can't afford to let them pressure our point men. I believe that if we punish them physically their forwards will become frustrated and start giving up lots of powerplays.