Panthers vs Devils

Mazzoak

I have to say, I dislike the way Lord has discarded Louis and is now regularly starting two defenders who simply just cannot defend (and even pairing them together!). I know McMonagle and Reddick both have offensive upside but their main job is to defend first and foremost. Why does he keep doing it? They must have had a falling out as I can see no other explanation, as Louis doesn’t look injured to me at all (has played a full part in warm up for weeks and been scratched). I hear criticism of Louis’ plus/minus stats this year (we never get to see them though) but I’m betting that would be the case for anyone who has been partnered with McMonagle for any length of time! Given the way Lord played, I’m not sure what his problem is with “character” players but we’ve seen fall-outs with Mychan, Faryna, Hendo (edit - forgot Bordy!) and to a lesser extent I think even Hotham indicated they had some problems. He was our stand-out player though and too good to leave out. Bowns has had some justified criticism this season but in all honestly, it must be an absolute bloody nightmare playing in front of some of that lot. We keep hearing how strong the league is this year but to me that’s false. While there’s more depth in teams, the standard has been mediocre, which is why we’re still up there with a chance to win it all despite our netminding being the poorest it’s been for some time, our defensive play being shocking for much of the season and carrying several forwards who can’t score to save their lives (bar Joey Haddad of course!). Many of the players who come here after careers in very good leagues, are getting on a bit and like the average player already in this league, can't play the fast, physical game that the better leagues are now employing. Average players, playing slow, non-aggressive hockey is not good to watch and that’s the story of the season for me, not just in Cardiff either (perhaps Guildford being the one exception who at least try to play a faster and more entertaining game). For me, this is the poorest Devils team for a few years and bar a few games here and there, have been bloody awful to watch. I’m not holding my breath but I hope we have a complete re-set in the summer and that includes Lord taking a long hard look at himself also and adopting a brand of hockey that gives the paying public in Cardiff more bang for their buck - and not more of the dirge we’ve seen this season where fear of losing dictates the way we play. Note to Kelman - instead of gimmicks like kids night, can we just have real Cardiff Devils hockey back next year, win or lose?
Spot on the money. One missing point though, those experienced “Character“ players, instead of the coach trying to change them, maybe when their explaining it’s not such a good plan should work with them. Just an armchair experts opinion l plucked out of the sky.

Ocko

Given the way Lord played, I’m not sure what his problem is with “character” players but we’ve seen fall-outs with Mychan, Faryna, Hendo (edit - forgot Bordy!) and to a lesser extent I think even Hotham indicated they had some problems.
Lord had a problem with them? Or:
Mychan got injured and wasn’t the same player - see Frannys podcast.
Faryna, broke his hand in temper because Lord picked him out on a bad play. Then his wife demanded he left.
Hendo, no issue until he wasn’t resigned and Hendrikx thought he should be even though he turned like an aircraft carrier on Olympic ice.
Bordy, admitted being on drugs and had a gambling problem during his time in Cardiff.

Ocko

So much disrespect on this thread for a coach who has taken us to pretty much a trophy every year he’s been in charge and has been in the running for the title until the last game of the season every year.

I don’t get the hysteria, we are still very much in the running for the title. We might win it, we might not. But we’re in a better place than most teams in the league.

mjh

Don't get all the anti Lord stuff. I personally think he's done a good job year on year. We have no right to win the league every season and this season our D as a team just hasn't been as consistent as we need it to be. Our D recruitment wasn't great this year and other teams have stepped up their game massively. Still in contention but I would expect Steelers or Panthers to take the league. Just out of curiosity, has Murdy played a game this year? Don't know why he re-signs each year if he doesn't get any ice time?

august04

Lord had a problem with them? Or:
Mychan got injured and wasn’t the same player - see Frannys podcast.
Faryna, broke his hand in temper because Lord picked him out on a bad play. Then his wife demanded he left.
Hendo, no issue until he wasn’t resigned and Hendrikx thought he should be even though he turned like an aircraft carrier on Olympic ice.
Bordy, admitted being on drugs and had a gambling problem during his time in Cardiff.
A very simplistic summary and much more could be said about a few of these. This isn’t the place though.

Finny

A very simplistic summary and much more could be said about a few of these. This isn’t the place though.
Actually, I think Ocko is bang on the money with his verdict. But then you must have better inside knowledge than me.......

You only need look at the number of players we retain each year to rubbish the suggestion that there is a problem with Lordo. Who was the last player who left for a rival team that we would have wanted to keep?