Panthers Vs Devils - Wed 26 Sept - League

Justtw

I mean, what a tense game for a Wednesday night... They came out quicker than any of our boys expected in the second and it all went down hill from there. As mentioned, the D was lacking tonight, even fournier looked piss poor at times which is uncharacteristic for him. Forwards played well but it got a little sloppy when they were beating us around the boards.

I am rather annoyed at some of the late checks and ESPECIALLY that clear check to the head. Officiating at it's finest, as usual.

We can't win them all and Panthers were always going to want to get one back on us after we did the same to them at home, but definitely in less stylistic fashion.

Some cracking goals from the Panthers though...

pjj365

Virgin HD picture fine

Commentators are background - I'm just enjoying the game on TV.

We all see things differently at a game and we all view TV differently. It's inevitable a professional broadcaster will see things differently to most and that's only right. But let it not distract from our team on free to air TV
The player interfered with has to be the player taking thepenalty
not under the new rules - I think

I mean, what a tense game for a Wednesday night... They came out quicker than any of our boys expected in the second and it all went down hill from there. As mentioned, the D was lacking tonight, even fournier looked piss poor at times which is uncharacteristic for him. Forwards played well but it got a little sloppy when they were beating us around the boards.

I am rather annoyed at some of the late checks and ESPECIALLY that clear check to the head. Officiating at it's finest, as usual.

We can't win them all and Panthers were always going to want to get one back on us after we did the same to them at home, but definitely in less stylistic fashion.

Some cracking goals from the Panthers though...
What check to the head?

august04

I love when we lose and Bownsy's name is the first to get dropped in the blame pile.
He should have saved the game winner. Simple as that. But he wasn’t to blame for the defeat for me. Apart from that winner, he played well.
A key moment was the Hedden hit. It got the crowd going and they kept coming while we went into our shells. I think we need some more size in this line up if we’re replacing Parisi and Faryna. The game has changed, particularly with the instigator rule, but I would have loved to have seen us respond to Hedden getting creamed (even though at first glance it looked clean to me, he just tried to check back across ice and paid the price), just to make them think twice about trying it again. Just saw the hit again on YouTube and it looks high which makes it even more galling that nobody reacted. If Voth was around, he would have gone apeshit (!), even if it gave up a power play. We didn’t react though, and they dominated us physically in the third. Nottingham have proved that a big, tough team can still skate well on the big ice (we tired, they didn’t) and it may be a long series against them this season if we can’t offer more physicality when we do battle with them.

Last edited:

The_Puck

I don't understand why we're so negative on here after a 1 goal loss with 40 seconds to go.

We played the perfect road game for 40 mins and almost won. I'll admit Reddick was at fault for their first goal but i thought he played a blinder for the other 59 mins. Bownsy's not saving that Pither shot imo, it was an absolute rocket of a wrister.

When we played in the first period there was no stopping us and we were unlucky not to get more. Having said that Panthers were very physical and drained us out (shadows of the cc final in 2016).

Am i confident we will win the league?
YES
Are we going to win the series against Nottingham?
DRAW
Am i worried at all with this team?
NO except from Batch at D - we need someone to replace him ASAP

Rob Batch

In my humble opinion I think this result sets us up for a fantastic rivalry. We were all concerned about their size and physicality. There maybe more twists and turns this season than we (possibly arrogantly) imagined. Nobody likes a one horse race !

Justtw

I think we need some size in this line up if we’re replacing Parisi and Faryna.
We have some decent size but I think trying to match them in that department is pointless. We can beat them, it's been demonstrated, its the stamina that was the issue tonight. They pushed us to our limits in that second period and we had nothing left in the third. Not to mention some players just weren't on there A game. I saw a few guys pushing themselves and giving it there all while others looked very sluggish. I hate mid week games.

Justtw

Clean hit everyday of the week, that's as clean of a hit open ice as you're going to get
I think it's a matter of opinion then, one of the replays made it look awful, like he jumped into it with an elbow but, there we go.

Needless to say they beat us around the bush tonight.

august04

We have some decent size but I think trying to match them in that department is pointless. We can beat them, it's been demonstrated, its the stamina that was the issue tonight. They pushed us to our limits in that second period and we had nothing left in the third. Not to mention some players just weren't on there A game. I saw a few guys pushing themselves and giving it there all while others looked very sluggish. I hate mid week games.
The stamina went because they hit us all over the ice. They physically punished us tonight in my opinion. They’ll now play like that against us all year long, particularly at the NIC.

RedDevil17

When we played in the first Am i worried at all with this team?
NO except from Batch at D - we need someone to replace him ASAP
Disagree with this part of your post completely. I thought Reddick played awful apart from the goal he scored and was extremely poor defensively. How can you say we need to replace batch? He’s playing the best hockey he’s played in ages and he’s a complete stay at home D man who can play. Looks comfortable and for me that’s his best position. The player we need to replace on D is Reddick and stick him either as a Forward or just have him as injury cover once we bring in our 2 new D men. Reddick would make a great winger, it would allow him to charge up the ice then!

Last edited:

The_Puck

Disagree with this part of your post completely. I thought Reddick played awful apart from the goal he scored and was extremely poor defensively. How can you say we need to replace batch? He’s playing the best hockey he’s played in ages and he’s a complete stay at home D man who can play. Looks comfortable and for me that’s his best position. The player we need to replace on D is Reddick and stick him either as a Forward or just have him as injury cover once we bring in our 2 new D men. How can you say Martin was lacklustre last year? 73 points in about 50 odd games and being the GOAT is really bad isn’t it...
Firstly genuine question, what does Batch do that makes him so much better than Reddick?
And secondly, I never said Martin had a lacklustre season last year.

zoesdevil

Disagree with this part of your post completely. I thought Reddick played awful apart from the goal he scored and was extremely poor defensively. How can you say we need to replace batch? He’s playing the best hockey he’s played in ages and he’s a complete stay at home D man who can play. Looks comfortable and for me that’s his best position. The player we need to replace on D is Reddick and stick him either as a Forward or just have him as injury cover once we bring in our 2 new D men. How can you say Martin was lacklustre last year? 73 points in about 50 odd games and being the GOAT is really bad isn’t it...
Agreed , I think Batch is playing great hockey & looks faster this season!

august04

Firstly genuine question, what does Batch do that makes him so much better than Reddick?
And secondly, I never said Martin had a lacklustre season last year.
He’s strong on the boards, he can cope with the physicality of power forwards bearing down on him, he can clear the net, positionally he’s far more defensively sound and responsible. That’s for starters anyway. I think he’s been great so far this year.
I admire Reddick’s heart and effort but he’s a frustrated forward. Put him on the wing on the 4th line and let his speed cause problems down the other end of the ice.