Panthers Vs Devils - League - 17th Oct 2021

Wannabe2

Neither did Fife, they are looking at getting gassed so maybe getting off their rump and producing, unfortunately it shows how poor storm must be.

I'm far from writing our team off this year, in fact I think we have many positives. I did mention in another thread that we have strengthened our d with additions in recent years e.g. Fournier, Strachen and Morrison, so not something we have never done. I appreciate though that things are different this year with roster sizes etc. I agree, love having hockey to watch again!

moggy#9

Look I don’t mean it to mean that not playing ice hockey = you can’t have an opinion and I certainly don’t mean it that I’m some pro hockey player who’s opinion is superior to everyone else’s. I am a very much amateur ice hockey player.
You can’t play the “it’s a place for people to express their opinions” card because I’m saying I disagree with you. I’m not having a go at anyone, I’m expressing my opinion within a forum.
But I’ll say it again, people are very quick to make decisions on the team based on a bad performance. I don’t think that shows very good knowledge of the game or of the clubs history.
The wheels fell off the bus tonight. That’s fine. We move on and learn. Just be kind to yourself and don’t be so crestfallen when we lose, it’s going to happen again this season!
I think you'll find that a fair number of people on this forum have experience of playing/coaching/reffing/working in various capacities for the club. Quite a few here have been around since 1986 so, please don't generalise.

kingmo19.1

Looks like a few people on this thread are looking for a fight tonight !!!! Doh!

In other news, Fife now beating Storm 7-0 with the 3rd period yet to begin!

For all the Devils detractors, quick, put all your £££ in Fife for the League Title - they look immense!!!!!!!!!

Hedd Wyn John

I'm far from writing our team off this year, in fact I think we have many positives. I did mention in another thread that we have strengthened our d with additions in recent years e.g. Fournier, Strachen and Morrison, so not something we have never done. I appreciate though that things are different this year with roster sizes etc. I agree, love having hockey to watch again!
Too early to write off anyone yet.

mjh

I may be sharing an unpopular opinion here but I'm quite happy with the roster size and salary cap in ONE sense. No I don't like the fact we can't run 4 lines consistently etc but clearly, it should make for a more competitive league this year. Could Guildford top the table at the end of the year? Could it be a three or four horse race? I think a season or two to hunker down and solidify the league after a terrible couple of years will help secure the longer term prospects. On another note, clearly not the result we wanted. Thought we'd be back on top after Reid put his second in. However, I'm not panicking about our chances. Long long way to go and we've got some top talent in this team.

E.D.S.

Just got back. That was dire tonight. Am I ok to say that?

Read a post somewhere with someone claiming that we have plenty of physicality. Worst observation of the season for me. We don't have physicality. I don't enjoy seeing a number of our 5ft something little folk going in to the boards against a 6ft something opponent and coming out with nothing. Our forwards are starved of quality chances. Look at the goals tonight.... a power play and a quick release off a face off. Our in play game is poor due to our lack of puck possession. You can sign Ovi for this team and without the quality chances, he won't be scoring. We simply don't do enough in the opponents zone. I saw Cox cross checking Tetlow - 6ft 6"ish to try and get something going. We aren't physical but that is the least of our problems. I don't need us smashing anyone into the boards for the sake of it. The physicality we miss is being able to retain possession and cycle the puck. We enter the o zone with the puck and the big fellas take it off us with little effort. Myers bossed it tonight doing what he's done for years. Getting his big ass in the way and protecting the puck.

The quality chances just aren't there for our forwards. Each one of the saves tonight for Carr were regulation saves. We enter the O zone and exit it. Same as last night. It's seems to be Skalde's plan. Be interesting to see how it plays out in the long run. Let's hope it bears fruit at some point.

Mazzoak

Personally I’d prefer to see all teams more or less at the same standard, leaving skill, both on and off the bench, to decide the result and not budget restrictions. We‘re all aware how boring sport can be when there is massive disparity in budgets.

jenks33

Read a post somewhere with someone claiming that we have plenty of physicality. Worst observation of the season for me. We don't have physicality. I don't enjoy seeing a number of our 5ft something little folk going in to the boards against a 6ft something opponent and coming out with nothing. Our forwards are starved of quality chances. Look at the goals tonight.... a power play and a quick release off a face off. Our in play game is poor due to our lack of puck possession. You can sign Ovi for this team and without the quality chances, he won't be scoring. We simply don't do enough in the opponents zone. I saw Cox cross checking Tetlow - 6ft 6"ish to try and get something going. We aren't physical but that is the least of our problems. I don't need us smashing anyone into the boards for the sake of it. The physicality we miss is being able to retain possession and cycle the puck. We enter the o zone with the puck and the big fellas take it off us with little effort. Myers bossed it tonight doing what he's done for years. Getting his big ass in the way and protecting the puck.

The quality chances just aren't there for our forwards. Each one of the saves tonight for Carr were regulation saves. We enter the O zone and exit it. Same as last night. It's seems to be Skalde's plan. Be interesting to see how it plays out in the long run. Let's hope it bears fruit at some point.
It’s true though isn’t it. I said after last nights match we don’t put teams under enough sustained pressure. There are things to like about us but we really struggle to put teams under enough pressure in their zone. I just can’t see that style winning the league personally

Mazzoak

You can say that we are dire.

The rest of what you’ve written is baseless when you take into account the situation, from new coach, new team, Covid all factors that will impact our performance. You are allowed an opinion, of course, also accept that that opinion maybe flawed, incorrect, ridiculous etc. Also as supporters, our observations will be based on unknown factors, we don’t know plans, budgets, strategy etc some writers here come across as if their comments aren’t known by those in the club, almost as if a writer on the Inferno has “spotted” an issue before the club. Take the goalie issue, the comments on here about signing two top netties, what why would a coach with Skalde experience do that, that’s crazy. Well maybe the real crazy is people with zero knowledge outside of their own self imposed bubble commenting on what should be done over a coach with Skaldes resume, that’s the real crazy.......

E.D.S.

It’s true though isn’t it. I said after last nights match we don’t put teams under enough sustained pressure. There are things to like about us but we really struggle to put teams under enough pressure in their zone. I just can’t see that style winning the league personally
It can be exciting if the opposition haven't figured us out but they clearly have. It's very one dimensional which for me is the surprise with this team. That much speed and agility...yet it's straight in and straight out. Our forwards get pushed out wide and that's where we shoot from - impossible angles. Mikkleson did well and the fans were superb. Positive and non stop. Can't fault them. The genius chants continue.... calling Paws Yogi Bear was a master stroke and the less said about "We love big Cox" the better. Comedy gold!

august04 2.0

I may be sharing an unpopular opinion here but I'm quite happy with the roster size and salary cap in ONE sense. No I don't like the fact we can't run 4 lines consistently etc but clearly, it should make for a more competitive league this year. Could Guildford top the table at the end of the year? Could it be a three or four horse race? I think a season or two to hunker down and solidify the league after a terrible couple of years will help secure the longer term prospects. On another note, clearly not the result we wanted. Thought we'd be back on top after Reid put his second in. However, I'm not panicking about our chances. Long long way to go and we've got some top talent in this team.
The bench roster limit works in a league like the ECHL, when you have movement into and out of that league (AHL etc.). So on any given night, your ECHL match night roster of 19 is complete because of that player movement. And that’s fine. But we've decided on the double whammy of a match night roster limit of 19 and a wage cap. So if teams are not carrying spares (and I don’t even know if that’s allowed this year, with these new rules?), which I would imagine is difficult with a wage cup - then any injuries/suspensions/Covid, will inevitably mean that teams are playing short benched. Two show case teams in the league in us and the Giants, and we're already playing short benched. This will lead to more injuries too. That dilutes the quality of the EIHL offering and cannot be good for our game.